Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5434
View in linear mode

Subject: "AWD question" Previous topic | Next topic
HedgeApr-30-07 11:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5434, "AWD question"

Hey, well i am searching for a talon tsi awd but my dad thinks awd will be a big problem if it breaks, saying that it will be super expencive to fix. He is going to help me pay, so he wants to know if there has been any known issues with AWD. im also looking for a first gen, a second would be nice, but i cant seem to find any in my price range with everything.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: AWD question, Pitchblack98, Apr-30-07 11:52 AM, #1
RE: AWD question, TeamDR1665, Apr-30-07 12:38 PM, #2
      RE: AWD question, Hedge, Apr-30-07 02:13 PM, #3
           RE: AWD question, Moderatorbullettdsm, Apr-30-07 02:21 PM, #4
                RE: AWD question, Hedge, Apr-30-07 02:35 PM, #5
                     RE: AWD question, EclipseTical, May-01-07 05:54 AM, #6
                     RE: AWD question, Hedge, May-01-07 10:51 AM, #8
                     RE: AWD question, TeamDR1665, May-01-07 10:59 AM, #9
                          RE: AWD question, Hedge, May-01-07 11:21 AM, #10
                               RE: AWD question, TeamDR1665, May-01-07 03:08 PM, #11
                                    RE: AWD question, Hedge, May-02-07 11:59 AM, #12
                                         RE: AWD question, ModeratoreclipzGST, May-02-07 12:56 PM, #13
                                              RE: AWD question, Hedge, May-02-07 01:31 PM, #14
                     RE: AWD question, ModeratoreclipzGST, May-01-07 10:35 AM, #7

Pitchblack98Apr-30-07 11:52 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5435, "RE: AWD question"
In response to Reply # 0

You should ask this in the 4g63 section. You will get more hits there... but I will help you out a little.

Only AWD problem I recall is a problem with the transfer cases leaking causing them to lock up while driving. There was a recall on this and in most cases the dealership would replace the transfer case of the problem was bad enough.

Only other problem is the weaker 3 bolt rear end in the 90, 91, and early 92's. The later 92's and on have a 4 bolt rear end with bigger axles and can handle a little more power than the 3 bolt.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDR1665Apr-30-07 12:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#5436, "RE: AWD question"
In response to Reply # 1
Apr-30-07 12:39 PM by DR1665

The Team 2GNT moderators RULE. That's TWICE, today, I've been in the middle of a reply, only to find the post has moved while I was typing.

It's the most popular platform in the DSM world. It's the prefered engine and you could replace the entire driveline if you had to, using used parts, for under a grand, imo. It's a farily simple AWD simple.

You should also look into the GalantVR4.org Cars for Sale section. GVR4 == 1G AWD under the skin and you get 4-doors (cheaper insurance), standard ABS (easy to remove, but gives cheaper insurance) and neither the ricers or cops will be looking for you on the street.

There are a number of GVR4s for sale in the $4k-$6k range across the country.

HedgeApr-30-07 02:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
#5437, "RE: AWD question"
In response to Reply # 2

Well this doesnt have anything to do with AWD, but the guy im looking at a talon sais that it is in good shape except when you shift into second fast, it grinds slighly. but not if you shift slowly. 2 is the only gear it grinds going into. anyone have an idea to what this could be? Ill try to get some more information on it, but im not sure what to ask. i cant test it right now, because its 5 hours away from my house.

ModeratorbullettdsmApr-30-07 02:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#5438, "RE: AWD question"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Hedge
Well this doesnt have anything to do with AWD, but the guy im looking at a talon sais that it is in good shape except when you shift into second fast, it grinds slighly. but not if you shift slowly. 2 is the only gear it grinds going into. anyone have an idea to what this could be? Ill try to get some more information on it, but im not sure what to ask. i cant test it right now, because its 5 hours away from my house.

These tranny's aren't the best when you start banging on them (and putting power through them). Let's see could be syncro, bad shifter bushing, cable adjustment, cable bushing. But probably the first one.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

HedgeApr-30-07 02:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
#5439, "RE: AWD question"
In response to Reply # 4

Alright, so what would be the better deal

-1994 with 190km, good looking outside, tsi, awd, no engine problem, but transmition thing for 3500$

or

-1993, good looking inside and outside, sound system, 197km, tsi, but not awd, no engine/tranny problem but needs a new clutch for
2500$

EclipseTicalMay-01-07 05:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
648 posts,
#5440, "RE: AWD question"
In response to Reply # 5

Alright, so what would be the better deal -1994 with 190km, good looking outside, tsi, awd, no engine problem, but transmition thing for 3500$

Both cars are damn near 15 years old and will be requiring some TLC to get up and running top shape.

As said above the trans issue is most likely a synchro crapping out. Talk him down on the price since you'll need to fix the tranny.

~Sean

99 GSX
97 RS--SOLD

HedgeMay-01-07 10:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
#5441, "RE: AWD question"
In response to Reply # 6

Im talking him down. how much should i offer
1994 talon tsi awd. 199000km its got tint, leather everything, power everything, moonroof, one new headlight (or one polished one, eather way id buy a new one) looks like a bit of painted bondo on the front of the hood, not very notisable though. No scratches or anything else. Its in toronto, he is asking 3500canadian

TeamDR1665May-01-07 10:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#5442, "RE: AWD question"
In response to Reply # 6
May-01-07 11:03 AM by DR1665

Originally posted by EclipseTical
Both cars are damn near 15 years old and will be requiring some TLC to get up and running top shape.

Exactly right, but a clutch is easier to replace than a synchro, imo.

Unless you spend some time with the owner of the AWD car checking into things like shifter cables and bushings to be sure of what you're going to end up fixing down the road, I'd go with the FWD car.

Have you asked the AWD guy what kind of transmission fluid he runs? If he's not running the Synchroshift, you might be able to make that notchy second gear work. It's not like Mitsu transmissions are known for being buttery smooth to begin with. You pretty much end up driving them like you would any other beat ass pickup truck with a stick shift. It's not a WRC inspired, triple-synchro second gear, six-speed Evo transmission, after all.

You need to come to terms with the FACT that buying ANY DSM with the plan of making any kind of mods to it is going to result in your having to put in some wrench time. If you're not comfortable getting in there and losing some blood, sweat, and money (tears), then a DSM is not the car for you.

EDIT:
You *are* going to look at the car and drive it before you buy it, right? Personally, I'd invest the time in driving out to see the AWD car. Maybe you can live with the shifter issue...

HedgeMay-01-07 11:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
#5443, "RE: AWD question"
In response to Reply # 9
May-01-07 12:14 PM by Hedge

How long could i drive the 1994 with transmission issues before it would get worse and require attention. Im not a transmission guy. It would eventually require repair though, correct?

TeamDR1665May-01-07 03:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#5444, "RE: AWD question"
In response to Reply # 10

How long could i drive the 1994 with transmission issues before it would get worse and require attention. Im not a transmission guy. It would eventually require repair though, correct?

There's absolutely no way to tell, man. My Galant sometimes pops out of first and slips out of third too. I've got the Synchromesh in there and haven't had a chance to rip apart the console to see if the bushings on the shifter are to blame or not. That's wishful thinking right there.

Every single time I shift into first or third, I hold it there to be sure it's in gear. I know I'll have to rebuild the tranny or get a new one eventually. I just hope the Talon is legal by that time...

HedgeMay-02-07 11:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
#5445, "RE: AWD question"
In response to Reply # 11

Well im going to pass on the awd one with tranny problems, im trying to get the guy with the bad clutch to go down, but its not working. how much would a stock clutch go for(canadian dollars) without labour, ive got everything i need to do it at school for free.

ModeratoreclipzGSTMay-02-07 12:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5446, "RE: AWD question"
In response to Reply # 12

Well im going to pass on the awd one with tranny problems, im trying to get the guy with the bad clutch to go down, but its not working. how much would a stock clutch go for(canadian dollars) without labour, ive got everything i need to do it at school for free.

Did you even look at the link I posted below??? You will NOT find a better car, in that condition for $4000 !!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

HedgeMay-02-07 01:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
#5447, "RE: AWD question"
In response to Reply # 13

I looked, but to buy and bring a car across border is something im not interested it. I wish it was in Canada, because it is a great deal.

ModeratoreclipzGSTMay-01-07 10:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5448, "RE: AWD question"
In response to Reply # 5
May-01-07 11:17 AM by eclipzGST

Alright, so what would be the better deal -1994 with 190km, good looking outside, tsi, awd, no engine problem, but transmition thing for 3500$ or -1993, good looking inside and outside, sound system, 197km, tsi, but not awd, no engine/tranny problem but needs a new clutch for 2500$

Save another grand and look up Bruce K. from Newengdsm.org he has super deals on 92 AWD's that he completely goes through, does all the maint. and simple mods and then sells as a "reliable" car in tip top shape for usually under $5k.
edit: here's his latest offering of restored DSM's... http://newengdsm.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15211

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5434 Previous topic | Next topic