Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5322
View in linear mode

Subject: "good deal" Previous topic | Next topic
D32Feb-07-08 10:44 AM
Member since Dec 10th 2007
10 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5322, "good deal"

ok, got a question for you guys. i have a chance to buy a 1997 eclipse GS-T owning a GS im not real sure how these motors are, whats good and bad so heres the facts

he said he bought it with blown motor and put new motor in
-about 90,000 on motor and head
-he said he put the new motor in it the timing was off and bent valves then got a new head
-has 135,000 on body and tranny little bit of rust
-rough idling
-smokes pretty bad constant stream even after warmed up
-little to no oil pressure at idle,then climbs when motor revs
-needs some paint(sideskirts faded)
-completely stock accept a/m blow valve comes with (manuel boost controller said he had it on other eclipse f&b strut bars stock bov and momo stearing wheel
he was asking $5000 hes down to 4000
friends told me most turbo cars will burn some oil with miles on them but i don't like the oil pressure that can't be good for the turbo
i have to sell my GS if i get it and it would be a daily driver.
what do you think
$4000
i could prob get it for $3500

i live near butler PA anybody live near by within 150 miles ...selling a GST

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Hult250RFeb-10-08 01:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5323, "RE: good deal"
In response to Reply # 0

sounds a lil high priced to me... even at 3500

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ramsey95ESiFeb-10-08 06:41 PM
Member since Jan 07th 2008
63 posts,
#5324, "RE: good deal"
In response to Reply # 1

Now HERE is a deal for a 97 gst. A little bit farther than the one you found but hell, this one youll be able to drive back!

http://www.srdayton.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21536

OR

This guy has a 99 gst
http://www.srdayton.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21238

2gnt (period)

techboyFeb-27-08 08:40 AM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
#5325, "RE: good deal"
In response to Reply # 2

I can tell you that the stock oil pressure guage on the 4G63 always runs low. As a matter of fact I know many guys whose warning light comes on when they are sitting in traffic but it increases under normal driving - it's actually a common thing with these cars. They stock psi for the oil guage is 11.4lbs at idle - not much. What you should do is get a oil pressure guage and unthread the OEM one (it's right next to the filter by the oil pan and see what it's running at on an actual guage.

On the other hand, with the smoking, rust and cars history (replace motor, bent valves) your probably better off passing this one up.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

goalie40Mar-04-08 09:27 PM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#5326, "RE: good deal"
In response to Reply # 3

Oil pressure is low at idle. One trick is to use a 3000gt VR4 oil filter. It helps raise the oil pressure in the head and can quite lifter tick. Next oil change thats what im putting in. Smoke out of the exhaust after its warmed up is a bad seal on the turbo. Mine did that too. It can be fixed with a rebuild. Just buy a 14b and a install kit. should be about 200-250 Better turbo.

I would low ball the shit out of him. 2800-3200 max

I paid 700 for mine(95) with a bad engine that turned out to be ok. Dude broke 2 flexplate bolts and the rear mount crumbled in my hands. I was lucky. I still put a new engine in but I have a spare now

Free things to do
cut out dump tube its a big blockage in the intake.
remove the BCS valve (plastic thingy) gives you 2-3 extra psi on boost.
Get a 1g BOV (metal > plastic) plus the 2g bov leaks past 12 psi

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5322 Previous topic | Next topic