Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #512
View in linear mode

Subject: "WOooooo!! I finally caved in..." Previous topic | Next topic
Teamner947Mar-30-06 06:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#512, "WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."

...and bought a real DSM. Its a completely stock 91 Galant VR4 number 1933. It feels good to finally have a 4g63.

Im going to keep it pretty stock, its going to be my new daily driver. Maybe some new rims and tires when the time comes, but there is a lot of basic maintenance that needs to come first.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-30-06 07:08 AM, #1
RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., 97eclipse97, Mar-30-06 07:39 AM, #2
RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., Teamner947, Mar-30-06 06:55 PM, #4
RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., BMPDirk, Mar-30-06 07:42 AM, #3
      RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-30-06 07:33 PM, #5
           RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., 97eclipse97, Mar-31-06 02:59 AM, #6
                RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., kelvinb1, Mar-31-06 11:58 AM, #7
                     RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., Teamner947, Mar-31-06 05:28 PM, #8
                          RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., Teamner947, Apr-03-06 12:11 PM, #9
                               RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., 97eclipse97, Apr-03-06 12:53 PM, #10
                                    RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., Teamner947, Apr-03-06 02:30 PM, #11
                                         RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., orzech, Apr-04-06 10:49 AM, #12
                                              RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., Teamner947, Apr-07-06 10:43 AM, #13
                                                   RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-07-06 08:25 PM, #14
                                                        RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., 97eclipse97, Apr-08-06 04:36 PM, #15
                                                             RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., Teamner947, Apr-10-06 03:57 AM, #16
                                                                  RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., 97eclipse97, Apr-10-06 10:34 AM, #17
                                                                       RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., Teamner947, Apr-11-06 07:42 AM, #18
                                                                            RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., 97eclipse97, Apr-11-06 08:32 AM, #19
                                                                                 RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., TeamDR1665, Apr-11-06 10:06 AM, #20
                                                                                      RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..., Teamner947, Apr-13-06 01:01 PM, #21

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-30-06 07:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#513, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 0

Nice! Congradulations!

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

97eclipse97Mar-30-06 07:39 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#514, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 1
Mar-30-06 07:41 AM by 97eclipse97

Finally! I was wondering how long it was going to take you! Oh and btw, everyone always says they are going to keep it stock! At the dyno last week, one of the VR4's (green if you can believe that!) made 380 something hp and over 400 tq. And the car is perfectly streetable (it actually has almost the exact same setup I have). Such a great sleeper car too. Post up some pics!

Edit: I know you are more than knowlegable on the 420A, but I'm not sure about you're knowlege of the 4g63. If you need any help with anything, or have any questions, give me a call 508-308-1372.

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

Teamner947Mar-30-06 06:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#515, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-30-06 07:45 PM by ner947

Originally posted by marsh
Post up some pics!

I just picked up the car this morning... drove from West Roxbury to Stow with the plates for my 2G... sketchey. I need to get this thing registered.

Pics to come... I did a lot of basic maintenance tonight - changed all the fluids. The air filter was in really bad shape, it had a gaping hole in one side! Who knows how long it was like that. The transfer case fluid was also really bad. I also think it needs new shocks or something, they feel like they are gone.

The car seemed a lot slower than it should be, so I attached my craptacular Autometer boost gauge and the best boost pressure I could get was about 5 PSI. There must be a boost leak somewhere.

Yeah I know everyone says they are leaving it stock... it's going to be really hard to resist.

At least it will be really easy to pass emissions with this thing. The emissions regulations in MA are retarded - if you have OBD1 it's really easy to pass seeing as how most OBD1 ECU's never gives a crap, and if you have AWD it's also really easy to pass because they only have 2WD dynos so you do a "two speed idle test" which is a joke.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

BMPDirkMar-30-06 07:42 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#516, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Nice! Congradulations!

It's Congratulations!

Awesome car, any pics?

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-30-06 07:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#517, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by BMPDirk
Originally posted by eclipzGST Nice! Congradulations!
It's Congratulations!

Damn, what is this? NewEngDSM.org?

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

97eclipse97Mar-31-06 02:59 AM
695 posts,
#518, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by BMPDirk
Originally posted by eclipzGST Nice! Congradulations!
It's Congratulations!
Damn, what is this? NewEngDSM.org?

Oh snap!

Ya Nate, it sounds like you have a pretty big boost leak. Unless the wastegate is f'd up. Good luck getting it running good though. It's going to be awesome when you pull up next to a ricer and blow their doors off with your four door family grocery getter!

kelvinb1Mar-31-06 11:58 AM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#519, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 6

claims to keep it stock, yet within the year this will be you

http://www.1320video.com/vids/3.11vr4dyno.wmv

Teamner947Mar-31-06 05:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#520, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 7

Damn, 32 megs! My modem hates me. This is going to take a while...

I took the ECU out today to poke the capacitors. One was leaking real bad and the other two looked alright. I popped them off and after rummaging I discovered that I didn't have the right replacements! Doh. Looks like I will be making a trip to You-Do-It Electronics tomorrow.

I need to make another boost leak tester. My last Home Depot one I made doesn’t fit, not to mention it sucked to begin with.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

Teamner947Apr-03-06 12:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#521, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 8

And so the modding begins... I just ordered an EVO 3 manifold after discovering that my stock one was all cracked up. Do you think I can I still call it "stock"?

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

97eclipse97Apr-03-06 12:53 PM
695 posts,
#522, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 9

Yup! They look about the same (Evo III is only slightly bigger), and if you keep the heat shield on, you won't notice the difference. How's it running, btw? Oh, and where are the damn pictures!

Teamner947Apr-03-06 02:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#523, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 10
Apr-03-06 02:32 PM by ner947

It's running pretty decently for a 15 year old car. The bealts squeak like nuts when you first start it up, so I need to check the condition and tension of those. The exhaust manifold leak makes it so the turbo is really weak. I need new shocks and I have no idea what to replace them with, maybe something from Tirerack or something - I wish I had the cash for a set of TEIN's. I'll probably take some pictures tomorrow during the daytime.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

orzechApr-04-06 10:49 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2003
597 posts,
#524, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 11

oh yesssssssss nothing beats the 4g63 belt squeel, the best way to make your car a head turner for sure. you can hear that shit for miles. anyways, the dsm bug will hit you hard once you get the car in good running shape. Def, did for me and it jsut keeps going further. anyways with that belt, try tightening the alternator tensioner. that was the one that was squeeling the most for me, it runs to the crank pulley and water pump, so you dont want this one to break because then your engine overheats. anyways good luck with the 4g63 and get some pics up.

11.34 at 123 fp3065 28 psi straight pump 93 octane

95 tsi awd 5 speed-2gb 6 bolt dsmlink
95tsi fwd- parts
95 tsi fwd- beater
91 galant vr4- new build

Teamner947Apr-07-06 10:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#525, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 12

still looks stock

can't really see it but whatever

crack(s)

the new EVO III manifold

I'm going to install that this weekend. I'll probably tear out the old one tonight and deal with whatever broken/rusted bolts. The gaskets are on order from Satan, the parts dude said they should be in tomorrow morning. Cool! Maybe my turbo will work after this.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-07-06 08:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#526, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 13

I love those things. Ugly and FAST!

97eclipse97Apr-08-06 04:36 PM
695 posts,
#527, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 14

Nice Nate. I think it looks pretty good. I love the Evo 3 manifold, and I'm sure you already know this, but make sure you get all that coating crap off of it before you put it on. That stuff will smoke like crazy for about 20 minutes! Good luck with getting the turbo to work!

Teamner947Apr-10-06 03:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#528, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 15

I got the new manifold in. The boost pressure is better, it goes up to around 8 psi now, but the spoolup still sucks! Am I only suppose to be getting 2 psi at 3000 rpm's? I should have 8 by then, my therotically slower spooling 16g can do that!

Also, my clutch is now slipping. Great.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

97eclipse97Apr-10-06 10:34 AM
695 posts,
#529, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 16

Have you run a boost leak check yet? I know my Evo III 16g has no problem making more than 2 PSI at 3k...I would check all of your vac lines as well, and make sure the wastegate is functioning properly. Do you have a boost controller in there, or just stock? As far as the clutch, time to throw in a 2600

Teamner947Apr-11-06 07:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#530, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 17

I did a boost leak check a while back, the system pressurizes to around 16 psi with some leaks, is the boost solenoid on the air can suppose to leak air? I am still using the factory boost control. Are the wastegates known to wear out or not shut entirely?

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

97eclipse97Apr-11-06 08:32 AM
695 posts,
#531, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 18

I would not think that the BCS is supposed to leak...

If you were able to build up 16PSI on a test, then I would have to say the issue lies with the turbo, wastegate, or BCS. I don't think there is a standard problem with the 14b, but I have heard of plenty of internal WG malfunctioning.

TeamDR1665Apr-11-06 10:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#532, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 19
Apr-11-06 10:08 AM by DR1665

I'm jealous. Yours is prettier and actually runs.

I know you'd prefer a black one. We should trade. Straight across. Right now.

EDIT:
And mine will remain stock. While the motto for Daisy is "All motor. All out." The motto for #195 is "No more than the stock block can handle." Right now, the stock motor has over 200k on it.

Teamner947Apr-13-06 01:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#533, "RE: WOooooo!! I finally caved in..."
In response to Reply # 20
Apr-13-06 01:04 PM by ner947

I disconnected the wastegate vacuum line and took it for a drive, the best boost pressure I could get was 6-7 psi... So I guess there is something wrong with the flapper or the actuator. It's too hot right now so I can't work on it for an hour or so but I'm guessing it's easy to remove the wastegate actuator, just two bolts and a cotter pin, right?

Meanwhile, the brakes are squeaking a LOT. I haven't pulled the wheels off yet to check them out but I can feel that they need replacing ASAP, probably a higher priority than anything else.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #512 Previous topic | Next topic