Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4974
View in linear mode

Subject: "Time for a Rebuild" Previous topic | Next topic
Talon93AwdJul-25-07 04:15 PM
Member since Jul 19th 2007
17 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4974, "Time for a Rebuild"

Well now... ok to start off first i dont boost past like 9psi is what i set it at. i have boosted it at like 13psi the highest i believe maybe a few times. since thats out of the way so you guys dont think i beat it to the ground. well i was driving to my friends work and i boosted about 10lbs and i let off the gas to stop at a stop sign. after a sec i let off the car backfired, not extremely loud but noticable... so i figure ok.. so i kept driving and i gave it about half throttle at about 4-5k rpms and hitting this loud knocking noise!! so i baby till i got to my friends work (happen to be Murrays Automotive) lol. have my friend come out and tells me its most likely a stretched rod?! he says possibly a bent valve? i pulled the dipstick and there was no metal shavings.. next plan is to pull the oil pan and check for pieces. So basically the car i thought was perfect and daily driver capable is no longer!! now i need to buy a rebuild kit and god dangit!! errrr ahhhH!!

Let me know what you guys think and if you have ever had this problem and what it was? think i could have jumped the timing belt a couple notches? if you guys need anymore info let me know. ill work on the oil pan tomorrow night.. looks like i need to take alot of stuff off to get the pan off?

AHH!! damn DSM's but i love them

1998 Eclipse GS - Daily Driver
1993 Talon TSI AWD Auto - Project

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Time for a Rebuild, JayWeezie88, Jul-26-07 08:12 AM, #1
RE: Time for a Rebuild, Talon93Awd, Jul-26-07 10:21 AM, #2
      RE: Time for a Rebuild, JayWeezie88, Jul-26-07 12:59 PM, #3
           RE: Time for a Rebuild, Talon93Awd, Jul-27-07 07:49 PM, #4
                RE: Time for a Rebuild, Talon93Awd, Jul-29-07 06:52 AM, #5
                     RE: Time for a Rebuild, ScreaminE, Jul-29-07 03:44 PM, #6
                          RE: Time for a Rebuild, JayWeezie88, Jul-29-07 06:56 PM, #7
                               RE: Time for a Rebuild, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jul-29-07 09:34 PM, #8
                                    RE: Time for a Rebuild, Talon93Awd, Jul-29-07 11:33 PM, #9

JayWeezie88Jul-26-07 08:12 AM
Member since Jul 08th 2005
130 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4975, "RE: Time for a Rebuild"
In response to Reply # 0

Same exact thing happened to me...you might need a new head...when I pulled my head off I found that the spark plug was hitting the top of the piston and that some of the valves got banged up.

I have a 2g head and a 2g 7bolt block if you need it.

99 GST - Some stuff

14.083 @ 97.37 (10psi-ish ATCO 3/13/07)

"She said its JUST a car...I said your JUST a girl"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Talon93AwdJul-26-07 10:21 AM
17 posts,
#4976, "RE: Time for a Rebuild"
In response to Reply # 1

anything wrong with the head? hopefully my pistons didnt get banged up. i was thinking it skipped a tooth on the timing belt but theres no broken teeth and plus i dont think it would make it make a clunking noise haha. so how difficult to pulled the head off the block? turb off, ex mani off, hard to get the intake manifold off?

JayWeezie88Jul-26-07 12:59 PM
130 posts,
#4977, "RE: Time for a Rebuild"
In response to Reply # 2
Jul-26-07 01:00 PM by JayWeezie88

Its really not difficult to take the head off just time consuming and tedious.

You have to drain coolant, drain oil, remove all the vac. lines, coolant hoses, fuel lines, electrical, exhaust manifold, spark plugs, etc.

Then you have to cut or remove the timing belt (I OJ'ed mine since I was going to redo the timing anyway.) and then take off the VC and loosen and remove the head bolts (and get arps lol).

Make sure everything that is connected to the head is off and don't forget about the bracket under the intake manifold.

After you're 100% positive everything is off pull the head off (I had to actually stand on my car and pull up).

After I did that I examined the head and saw there was knicks on the valves and even worse there was marks on the #2 piston.

Thats what the piston looked like, I'll load what the head looked like when I get back from vaca.

99 GST - Some stuff

Talon93AwdJul-27-07 07:49 PM
17 posts,
#4978, "RE: Time for a Rebuild"
In response to Reply # 3

well im gonna start pulling the head off this weekend and see what i find. i really hope its a valve and not a rod or something.. would it be better just to buy a used head or rebuild mine? new valves are like $5 each

Talon93AwdJul-29-07 06:52 AM
17 posts,
#4979, "RE: Time for a Rebuild"
In response to Reply # 4

ok bad news... its not the head. i pulled it off and nothing is wrong with the valves or anything. pistons are fine and the cylinders walls are fine.. gotta be the connecting rods.

ScreaminEJul-29-07 03:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
815 posts,
#4980, "RE: Time for a Rebuild"
In response to Reply # 5

6 bolt time

JayWeezie88Jul-29-07 06:56 PM
130 posts,
#4981, "RE: Time for a Rebuild"
In response to Reply # 6

Just thinking...you sure it wasn't lifter tick? lol

99 GST - Some stuff

ModeratoreclipzGSTJul-29-07 09:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4982, "RE: Time for a Rebuild"
In response to Reply # 7
Jul-29-07 09:36 PM by eclipzGST

Originally posted by JayWeezie88
Just thinking...you sure it wasn't lifter tick? lol

wouldn't that be a bitch...
No way would I have pulled the head without knowing for sure. You could have just pulled the plug s and looked in with a flashlight for signs of interference.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Talon93AwdJul-29-07 11:33 PM
17 posts,
#4983, "RE: Time for a Rebuild"
In response to Reply # 8

nah i had the car started and i was under and on top and the noise for sure a knocking noise not a tick tick tick.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4974 Previous topic | Next topic