Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4900
View in linear mode

Subject: "Should i buy?" Previous topic | Next topic
Xtr3meJun-21-07 04:16 PM
Member since May 12th 2006
16 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4900, "Should i buy?"
Jun-21-07 04:30 PM by Xtr3me

Well, For starters My name is Dylan, Bdtalon's Brother, and I've always have had a thing for Eclipses and Talons, so i found a 95' Talon Tsi hiding up the street that does not run, but its only 500$ The body is in good shape, (besides the hail damage) i could probably get him down to 400 or less, i have the money to get another engine but i want to see if i could repair whats there already, Well the story is that this guy was running it pretty hard down the highway and it got real tight and started smoking, he said that he thinks he ran out of oil , well i think he has seized motor, the battery is dead but sometime next week me and the pop are going to go up there to see if we can get it to turn over, but what do you guys think i should do, give up, not worth fixing? i would like to keep the total cost under 2g's, i don't want this to be a race car, just get me to a-b, I still want the turbo though ,Who doesn't love the sound of a spooling Turbo!
Im only 15 so i got a summer to work on this, and i have a job so ill have some money to put in this with out worrying about bills and all that junk, so some comments on what you guys think would be great

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Should i buy?, Hedge, Jun-24-07 02:28 PM, #1
RE: Should i buy?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jun-25-07 10:08 AM, #2
      RE: Should i buy?, Xtr3me, Jun-25-07 03:32 PM, #3
           RE: Should i buy?, Hedge, Jun-25-07 03:45 PM, #4
                RE: Should i buy?, Xtr3me, Jun-25-07 05:26 PM, #5
                     RE: Should i buy?, kelvinb1, Jun-28-07 04:30 PM, #6
                          RE: Should i buy?, Xtr3me, Jun-28-07 07:20 PM, #7
                               RE: Should i buy?, EclipseTical, Jun-29-07 06:41 AM, #8
                                    RE: Should i buy?, Xtr3me, Jun-29-07 12:27 PM, #9
                                         RE: Should i buy?, Xtr3me, Aug-14-07 04:47 PM, #10
                                              RE: Should i buy?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Aug-14-07 10:19 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Should i buy?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Aug-15-07 01:55 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Should i buy?, Xtr3me, Aug-15-07 09:26 AM, #13

HedgeJun-24-07 02:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4903, "RE: Should i buy?"
In response to Reply # 0

I made nearly the same mistake when i bought my first talon, i found what i thought was a good deal, but it ended up not being worth it and now ive got a talon sitting under a tarp as a parts car. Make sure(if you wanna keep it under 2k) that everything else is in good shape, i know breaks and ball joints ext.. arn't expencive, but when you add every little thing together it gets pricy. Are you sure you can do all of the work yourself, and are you willing to do all of the work properly and not rushed? Is there rust anywhere? If the engine ran out of oil, the guy obviously didnt take good care of his car. So just look out, you might be better off buying something that you just call your insurance, pay taxes and get it on the road, than have to take a gamble and buy a project car.

Thank you mobil one for rust proofing my driveway.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorbullettdsmJun-25-07 10:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#4904, "RE: Should i buy?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Hedge........If the engine ran out of oil, the guy obviously didnt take good care of his car. So just look out....

I'd be leery about this one.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Xtr3meJun-25-07 03:32 PM
16 posts,
#4905, "RE: Should i buy?"
In response to Reply # 2

Well, the car is in good shape, no real serious rust, just some surface rust on the bottom of the doors and strut towers.. Tomorrow im going up >

>

A little dirty, but im going to try to get the price down to 350ish.

HedgeJun-25-07 03:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
#4906, "RE: Should i buy?"
In response to Reply # 3

just be prepared to possibly find a new engine, or a major rebuild. if it ran out of oil the rings are probably shot.

Thank you mobil one for rust proofing my driveway.

Xtr3meJun-25-07 05:26 PM
16 posts,
#4907, "RE: Should i buy?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Hedge
just be prepared to possibly find a new engine, or a major rebuild. if it ran out of oil the rings are probably shot.

Im willing to buy a new motor thats no problem " parts from Japan" !

kelvinb1Jun-28-07 04:30 PM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#4908, "RE: Should i buy?"
In response to Reply # 5

clean car. japan no. you can pick up a used running engine for under 1k dollars. auto? manual? rear vented rotors? check and see if its an eprom ecu also. if it is and you get it for 500 or less, that there is worth 200.

Xtr3meJun-28-07 07:20 PM
16 posts,
#4909, "RE: Should i buy?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by kelvinb1
clean car. japan no. you can pick up a used running engine for under 1k dollars. auto? manual? rear vented rotors? check and see if its an eprom ecu also. if it is and you get it for 500 or less, that there is worth 200.

Alright, this guy knows nothing about the car, it has a new tranny in it, under 10k miles on it, its a auto witch is no problem to me because I'm really not about the speed , its going to be a first car. I'm looking at a 4g63 from Nj, there like 1k shipped with 40k on the motor, how do i see if the ecu is eprom?

EclipseTicalJun-29-07 06:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
648 posts,
#4910, "RE: Should i buy?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Xtr3me
Alright, this guy knows nothing about the car, it has a new tranny in it, under 10k miles on it, its a auto witch is no problem to me because I'm really not about the speed , its going to be a first car. I'm looking at a 4g63 from Nj, there like 1k shipped with 40k on the motor, how do i see if the ecu is eprom?

It's rather simple, just follow the instructions here to check the 95 to see if it is in fact an eprom ECU

~Sean

99 GSX
97 RS--SOLD

Xtr3meJun-29-07 12:27 PM
16 posts,
#4911, "RE: Should i buy?"
In response to Reply # 8

Awesome thanks!

Xtr3meAug-14-07 04:47 PM
16 posts,
#5002, "RE: Should i buy?"
In response to Reply # 9

Well, i just bought it today for 250!
the engine turns over with out a problem, but i think its getting no compression, like you know its rolling over, but its not.. going duhduhduhdudhduhduh, its more of a duhhhhuhhhhhhuhhhhhhuhhhh. if you can understand that, if i can tomorrow ill get a video of it.

ModeratoreclipzGSTAug-14-07 10:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5003, "RE: Should i buy?"
In response to Reply # 10

score!! For $250, you'd be stupid not to grab it up...
Tear into it and let us know what you find. Sounds already like there is NO compression. I wouldn't waste too much time with that motor except to pull the bitch.
Start saving for a 6-bolt and DSM-link. In the meantime, do your homework.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

ModeratorbullettdsmAug-15-07 01:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#5004, "RE: Should i buy?"
In response to Reply # 11

LOL, $250 huh? Good buy if you don't care about the auto. I'd check the engine out a little bit. I bought one that was a smoking, run on 1 cylinder, no compression, blown turbo, piece of crap. It turned out to be the cam sensor, lol.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Xtr3meAug-15-07 09:26 AM
16 posts,
#5005, "RE: Should i buy?"
In response to Reply # 12

I reallly dont mind much thats its auto, but i mean 250 bucks. body is in pretty goot shape. the only bad rust i see is on the strut towers. Im going to have my brother (bdtalon) find out whats wrong XD.. he doesnt know i have it, he wont be here till later tonight. i got some more pictures ill put up later.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4900 Previous topic | Next topic