Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4824
View in linear mode

Subject: "4G63 NT questions, please help" Previous topic | Next topic
wite96gsApr-26-07 09:06 AM
Member since Mar 20th 2004
365 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4824, "4G63 NT questions, please help"
Apr-26-07 09:09 AM by wite96gs

simple question for those of you who have a 4G63 NT.

Should the NT version still have a water fed oil cooler?

I recently bought a '94 Talon TSi AWD with a 6 bolt Cyclone swapped into it. I've been doing some much needed maintenance on it only to find there is no oil cooler. Also, there is no coolant lines for the turbo.
After seeing this I figured the shop that installed the motor was just negligent in reinstalling them as they have a bad reputation to begin with.
The thing that really gets me is that there aren't even any fittings on the water pipe to return the coolant from the oil cooler and turbo.
According to all the research I have done, it looks like at the very least, every 4G63T has at least liquid cooling for the turbo, but mine does not even have that. I have been looking and looking for possible answers and I came accross this:

https://www.jazzproparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=4G63

So, I guess the biggest question here is, Did I just get fucked?

Any info is appreciated, thanks guys.

-----------
'96 Eclipse GS 213K orig. miles
'94 Talon TSi AWD 6 bolt

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TeamDR1665Apr-26-07 12:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4825, "RE: 4G63 NT questions, please help"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-26-07 12:06 PM by DR1665

Are you saying you're afraid you paid for a 6-bolt Cyclone 4G63T and really got an NT engine with some turbo stuff bolted to it?

My 93 GS had the stack-style oil cooler as far as I remember, but I don't know if it was plumbed or not. I do know I had to buy a specific set screw for the hole in the head used for the turbo oil feed on the upper models.

My 90 GS-T had the external oil cooler. There were no water lines off the main going to the oil filter location, but there was definitely plumbing to the turbo.

I'm pretty sure all factory turbocharged DSMs have plumbing to the turbo for both oil and water. Depending on model/year/whatev, there may or may not have been water lines to the oil filter area.

I've heard that people who ditch the stack-style, water-cooled oil cooler in favor of the external cooler have to cap off or replace their water main, but I think I get what you're worried about. Did you get a true turbo block? Did someone simply decide to not water cool the turbo? (I know people who say the turbo does more to heat the coolant than the water does to cool the turbo, but that's another thread.) Or did someone slip you a beat-ass NT block with some turbo stuff bolted to it and charge you for a true 4G63T?

I think, in your position, I would source the proper turbo water pipe and plumb the turbo. Maybe, the next time you change the oil, you drop the pan and see what you can see inside the block with a light. Don't know if there's a better way to determine what block you got.

Doh! Get the VIN off the block and throw it into Carfax. It will tell you make/model/year for free, if I remember right. Then it will scare you into buying the report. This is how I figured out the engine that came in my Galant was originally from a 91 GSX.

Good luck.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

wite96gsMay-01-07 03:18 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2004
365 posts,
#4833, "RE: 4G63 NT questions, please help"
In response to Reply # 1

I bought the car with the assumption that it had a 6 bolt cyclone motor swapped into it, it is a 6 bolt and it does say cyclone on the manifold(big whoop, I know)but it is for sure a NT engine.
I dropped the oil pan and it definitely has no oil squirters... I got screwed on this car.
I spoke with the previous owner and I think he may have genuinely not known that the shop sold and installed this turd to him. We're going to see if we can take any kind of legal action on the matter.
-----------
'96 Eclipse GS
'94 Talon TSi AWD w/6 boltNT conversion
www.SOVADSM.com

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4824 Previous topic | Next topic