Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4743
View in linear mode

Subject: "weird idle problem." Previous topic | Next topic
Mattcky2kMar-01-07 05:43 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2002
1135 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4743, "weird idle problem."
Mar-01-07 05:50 PM by Mattcky2k

a few weeks ago my car started idling at around 2-300 rpm. it did this for about a week and i finally got around to blocking off the EGR and cleaning the TB. this seemed to fix it somewhay but now i notice if i pump the brakes the rpm will fall really low almost stalling the car??? i haven't tested the ISC yet but it just doesn't seem like that would have anything to do with it. other than the brake pumping thing the idle seems fine. any clue as to what could cause this?

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: K&N Filter, John Sheppard built transmission with GVR4 1st gear, autometer boost gauge, "free mods", Greddy type-s BOV, broken shifter

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-01-07 08:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4745, "RE: weird idle problem."
In response to Reply # 0

Does it do the same thing if you turn the headlights on? How about A/C.
Check your voltage with the car off. Should be 12v. Do it again with it running and see what it is.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorbullettdsmMar-03-07 12:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#4751, "RE: weird idle problem."
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, I'm going with Tony on this one. Probably electrical draw. Only other thing I can think of is something goofy with the brake booster. You can check that by blocking off the vac line and see if pushing the brake affects it

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

97eclipse97Mar-10-07 06:01 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#4757, "RE: weird idle problem."
In response to Reply # 2

I'm with them also that it is either an electrical issue (don't forget that you have power brakes as well as brake lights) or a wierd brake booster issue. But, just to be technical, the tachometer only shows as low as 500 RPM. Your car would not run well (to say the least) if at all at 200-300 RPM. That being said, are you sure you are not actually running at between 700-800 RPM? I believe a stock 2g is set to run at 750 or 800, so that would be fine.

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

destruckeclipseMar-13-07 06:16 PM
Member since Apr 26th 2004
576 posts,
#4760, "RE: weird idle problem."
In response to Reply # 3

Use a logger to verify the actual RPM. I bumped up my idle a tiny bit and it seemed to help. Also you can check to make sure the biss isn't leaking itself.

'95 GSX - Big16G ~ Leaks, but atleast it runs.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4743 Previous topic | Next topic