Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4377
View in linear mode

Subject: "thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change." Previous topic | Next topic
Diceman19Oct-20-03 06:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4377, "thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change."

i am reading that you have to take the crank pulley off the crank sprocket to take off the balance shaft belt on a 6 bolt block. i dont have power tools and with power tools i still dont think it would sit still the whole time when you have to tighten it to 85-90ft/lb of torque. my question is. besides building the tool listed on vfaq, is there any other way to guarentee that my timing wont get fooked up when tightening this bolt? how have you guys done it? is there a special tool somewhere that you can buy. vfaq didnt list one to purchase. thanks!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change., Remy, Oct-20-03 08:16 AM, #1
RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change., Diceman19, Oct-20-03 08:29 AM, #2
      RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change., Skillionaire, Oct-20-03 08:48 AM, #3
           RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change., Diceman19, Oct-22-03 08:28 AM, #4
                RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change., ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-22-03 12:04 PM, #5
                RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change., Diceman19, Oct-23-03 08:44 AM, #6
                     RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change., thedawg, Oct-23-03 10:19 AM, #7
                          RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change., Diceman19, Oct-23-03 01:51 PM, #8

RemyOct-20-03 08:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4378, "RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change."
In response to Reply # 0

I can get you the email address to the guy that did mine if you want.

Member # 333

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Diceman19Oct-20-03 08:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#4379, "RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change."
In response to Reply # 1

sure. i have magicalevil comin to my house on the 1st of nov. to help me with mine. he has done his 2gnt but the 1g will be a little bit different. any help and pointers that anyone can provide is awesome!

SkillionaireOct-20-03 08:48 AM
Member since Mar 08th 2002
198 posts,
#4380, "RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change."
In response to Reply # 2

If you are trying to remove the pulley itself, put a 1/2" drive breaker bar in the square slot at the center of the pulley. Allow the bar to rest against the frame. Now when you go to remove the 4 pulley bolts, it wont turn. If this isnt the info you were looking for, then disregard

93 Talon Tsi FWD
Big 16g Powered!

R.I.P 96 Turbo GS

Diceman19Oct-22-03 08:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#4381, "RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change."
In response to Reply # 3

bump. i am thinking the only way i will get it done is to make the tool on vfaq. where can i get the steel that is listed on there? i have no idea where to start.

i had an idea of marking the pulley with whiteout and then having someone try to hold it somewhat steady while i tighten it. i thought of that plan when i was thinking that i was working with the balance shaft somthing or other. i figured that i could just turn that pulley until the balance shaft was in phase again. well, now that i reread the vfaq and found out it is the crank, wont work.

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-22-03 12:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4382, "RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change."
In response to Reply # 4

If you get a Chiltons manual and use that as well as the VFAQ, both should cover the job pretty thoroughly.
But don't take my word for it cause I've never actually done it.

-Tony
98'GST
92'TSI-AWD

eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

"...don't make me photoshop your pants so high that your undies start going over your head, think of it as a kaptainmyke wedgie if you will" -Kap'n Myke

Diceman19Oct-23-03 08:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#4383, "RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Diceman19
make the tool on vfaq. where can i get the steel that is listed on there?

WHERE DO I GET THE STEEL....AAAAHHHHH!!!!

sorry, just not many people in the 4g63 section and getting frustrated

thedawgOct-23-03 10:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#4384, "RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change."
In response to Reply # 6

Home Depot yo.

Diceman19Oct-23-03 01:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#4385, "RE: thoughts on 6 bolt block and timing belt change."
In response to Reply # 7

thanks mang. points for you!

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4377 Previous topic | Next topic