Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #434
View in linear mode

Subject: "Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..." Previous topic | Next topic
Hult250RApr-14-06 07:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#434, "Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."

...you never know whats gonna explode next.

The last few times Ive driven the car Ive had a squeaking noise thaat I thought was a belt squeaking.
Apparently not...

Put a harmonic balancer off my parts car on and shes good as new minus the fubar'd timing belt cover.

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., kelvinb1, Apr-14-06 07:08 PM, #1
RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-14-06 07:11 PM, #2
      RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., Diceman19, Apr-14-06 07:18 PM, #3
      RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., Hult250R, Apr-14-06 07:28 PM, #4
           RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., BigBald, Apr-15-06 03:03 AM, #5
                RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-15-06 05:18 AM, #6
                     RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., destruckeclipse, Apr-19-06 08:04 PM, #7
                          RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., burntheblobs, Apr-20-06 05:44 AM, #8
                               RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., T_K, Apr-20-06 10:07 AM, #9
                                    RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., Hult250R, Apr-20-06 11:18 AM, #10
                                         RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., T_K, Apr-21-06 07:18 AM, #11
                                              RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., 97eclipse97, Apr-23-06 04:15 AM, #12
                                                   RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., T_K, Apr-23-06 01:51 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., T_K, May-01-06 02:36 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., CopperEclipse96, May-01-06 03:13 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., burntheblobs, May-01-06 07:23 PM, #16
                                                                       RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., Hult250R, May-02-06 11:10 AM, #17
                                                                            RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., T_K, May-02-06 02:14 PM, #18
                                                                                 RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., 420a-Tnthewerks, May-03-06 02:18 PM, #19
                                                                                      RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., T_K, May-05-06 01:37 PM, #20
                                                                                           RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..., T_K, May-06-06 08:09 AM, #21

kelvinb1Apr-14-06 07:08 PM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#435, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 0

i had the same thing happen with less catastrophic results. i picked up a used one for 30 how about you?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-14-06 07:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#436, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 1

Went through that right before I traded it in. Was squeaking for a while but thought it was from the cold. Then, I pulled into work one day and threw ALL the belts. When I put them back on, I could actually see that the pulley was mis aligned. I pulled it off in 2 pcs and ordered one from JNZ.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Diceman19Apr-14-06 07:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#437, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 2

girlfriends car did that. went through a car wash in the winter time, all the sudden in the middle of it, her battery light comes on. we pull out and i notice the car was overheating. pull over, coolant is pouring out. took it apart, broke apart pulley. new one for 15 bucks or something.

Hult250RApr-14-06 07:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#438, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by eclipzGST
I pulled it off in 2 pcs and ordered one from JNZ.

How much did you pay for a new one through JNZ??

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

BigBaldApr-15-06 03:03 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#439, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 4

They are like $90 new I believe.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-15-06 05:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#440, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by BigBald
They are like $90 new I believe.

yeah, it was something like that. I think it was like $96

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

destruckeclipseApr-19-06 08:04 PM
Member since Apr 26th 2004
576 posts,
#441, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 6

Mine makes too many noises.

'95 GSX - Big16G ~ Leaks, but atleast it runs.

burntheblobsApr-20-06 05:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#442, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 7

Sometimes I just turn the stereo up when I hear bad noises.

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

T_KApr-20-06 10:07 AM
Member since Nov 03rd 2005
219 posts,
#443, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 8

Mine makes a loud knocking sound when starting up cold but it goes away almost instantly. Comes from the head. I guess a lifter or something is going bad... I want to hold off looking into it till I save money for the whole 120K maintenance jazz since I'm at 108K already anyway and then do everything at once.

1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: balance shafts, cruise & AC removed; 16psi, Dejon intake & UICP, ported 14b, EVOIII mani, ported 2G O2 housing, 2.5" Buschur dp to 3" Thermal exhaust, datalogger, front strut brace, prothane motor mounts

1995 Eclipse RS U-Boot; Tokico Illuminas, GSX front brakes, ST front swaybar, short shifter, CAI with K&N filter, rear disks and swaybar, front upper and rear lower strut braces, beater exterior

Hult250RApr-20-06 11:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#444, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by T_K
Mine makes a loud knocking sound when starting up cold but it goes away almost instantly. Comes from the head. I guess a lifter or something is going bad... I want to hold off looking into it till I save money for the whole 120K maintenance jazz since I'm at 108K already anyway and then do everything at once.

sounds like lifter tick
Time for some 3G lifters

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

T_KApr-21-06 07:18 AM
219 posts,
#445, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 10
Apr-21-06 08:36 AM by T_K

I have a new sound! I think I broke something yesterday cause on hard accel. in first, I got some bad wheelhop, felt like it came from the rear. I don't think that's supposed to happen. Anyway, now I got a grinding sound coming from the passenger rear side. It actually sounds like a bad wheel bearing (have had these before on my NT) but is there any way my rear diff could be bad?

Update: I had a friend slowly drive the car with the engine off and it really sounded like the brake grinding. I wonder what should I do, everything back there is so seized up I don't want to go through the hell of fighting rust again (I did that just a couple months ago changing the fronts on my RS, biggest PITA so far)

1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: balance shafts, cruise & AC removed; 16psi, Dejon intake & UICP, ported 14b, EVOIII mani, ported 2G O2 housing, 2.5" Buschur dp to 3" Thermal exhaust, datalogger, front strut brace, prothane motor mounts

1995 Eclipse RS U-Boot; Tokico Illuminas, GSX front brakes, ST front swaybar, short shifter, CAI with K&N filter, rear disks and swaybar, front upper and rear lower strut braces, beater exterior

97eclipse97Apr-23-06 04:15 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#446, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 11

It could also be your transfer case locked up. This happened to me not to long ago. I found mine to be empty of fluid. I would certainly suspect this. Good luck!

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

T_KApr-23-06 01:51 PM
219 posts,
#447, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by 97eclipse97
It could also be your transfer case locked up. This happened to me not to long ago. I found mine to be empty of fluid. I would certainly suspect this. Good luck!

nah, I drove about 200 miles after this sound started. I raised the car yesterday and saw that it's actually the pad rubbing against the rotor, and the sound only comes when I hit the brakes, after a few seconds it disappears.

It's just time to replace the pads, they're very thin.

T_KMay-01-06 02:36 PM
219 posts,
#448, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 13

hehe I was lazy and delayed for a week getting new pads and now my rotor is badly scraped.

I planned getting new rotors anyway but I still feel stupid.

CopperEclipse96May-01-06 03:13 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2003
2532 posts,
#449, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by T_K
hehe I was lazy and delayed for a week getting new pads and now my rotor is badly scraped. I planned getting new rotors anyway but I still feel stupid.

i put off replacing a warped rotor once on my NT, and then I ended up needing a new caliper because of it.

SO i got GSX calipers. It was worth it.

---------------------------------------

-Ian
-1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (SOLD!)
-2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO
-2003 CBR600RR

burntheblobsMay-01-06 07:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#450, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by CopperEclipse96
Originally posted by T_K hehe I was lazy and delayed for a week getting new pads and now my rotor is badly scraped. I planned getting new rotors anyway but I still feel stupid.
i put off replacing a warped rotor once on my NT, and then I ended up needing a new caliper because of it. SO i got GSX calipers. It was worth it.

Man I really need to give my car a brake job. I wish it wasnt at the end of a long list of things to do =(.

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

Hult250RMay-02-06 11:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#451, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by burntheblobs
Originally posted by CopperEclipse96
Originally posted by T_K hehe I was lazy and delayed for a week getting new pads and now my rotor is badly scraped. I planned getting new rotors anyway but I still feel stupid.
i put off replacing a warped rotor once on my NT, and then I ended up needing a new caliper because of it. SO i got GSX calipers. It was worth it.
Man I really need to give my car a brake job. I wish it wasnt at the end of a long list of things to do =(.

I think id move it up the list...
Stopping is just a little important

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

T_KMay-02-06 02:14 PM
219 posts,
#452, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 17
May-02-06 02:17 PM by T_K

well I put it off cause my fronts were recently done so I thought eh, if I lose 5% braking for one bad rear pad for a few days so what.
I generally engine brake anyway.

Today I actually went to a local brake shop and they wanted $100 labour just to replace the rotors (I supply new ones).

I can also bang with a sledgehammer for $100. Done that with my N/T. So that's this weekend's project.

420a-TnthewerksMay-03-06 02:18 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#453, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by T_K
well I put it off cause my fronts were recently done so I thought eh, if I lose 5% braking for one bad rear pad for a few days so what. I generally engine brake anyway. Today I actually went to a local brake shop and they wanted $100 labour just to replace the rotors (I supply new ones). I can also bang with a sledgehammer for $100. Done that with my N/T. So that's this weekend's project.

Weekend's project? Should take you 20 minutes .

T_KMay-05-06 01:37 PM
219 posts,
#454, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
Originally posted by T_K well I put it off cause my fronts were recently done so I thought eh, if I lose 5% braking for one bad rear pad for a few days so what. I generally engine brake anyway. Today I actually went to a local brake shop and they wanted $100 labour just to replace the rotors (I supply new ones). I can also bang with a sledgehammer for $100. Done that with my N/T. So that's this weekend's project.
Weekend's project? Should take you 20 minutes .

A single front rotor on my N/T took two hours of steady beating with a 8lb sledge + several days of partsblaster. So I'm just being a realist.

T_KMay-06-06 08:09 AM
219 posts,
#455, "RE: Pay Attention to all the Noises your DSM makes..."
In response to Reply # 20

haha you were right actually, the rotor came off literally instantly after I used the "vfaq bolt method" on it. But the whole thing still takes most of this saturday cause I had to run back and forth to the auto store to pick up also new studs, cause I had some bad ones and traffic was ridiculous. At least I should be finished in an hour or so.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #434 Previous topic | Next topic