Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4116
View in linear mode

Subject: "Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?" Previous topic | Next topic
babybeclipseDec-05-03 05:26 PM
Member since Mar 01st 2002
3083 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4116, "Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?"

ok, whats a common problem in first gens? What should I avoid? I want AWD cause it's going to be my beater/winter car. Stick is sorta a must too. I'm tired of playin with auto's

Any suggestions would help. I'm looking to spend less than 1500 bucks

Thanks guys/ladies

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?, TeamJeff_99gs, Dec-05-03 08:03 PM, #1
RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?, EvMan2345, Dec-05-03 08:18 PM, #2
      RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?, TeamJeff_99gs, Dec-05-03 08:32 PM, #3
           RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-05-03 09:23 PM, #4
                RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?, babybeclipse, Dec-06-03 05:10 AM, #5
                     RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?, chrysler kid, Dec-06-03 12:33 PM, #6
                          RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?, Mr Pink, Dec-06-03 01:23 PM, #7
                               RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?, HybriDSM, Dec-06-03 08:52 PM, #8
                                    RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?, babybeclipse, Dec-07-03 06:04 AM, #9

TeamJeff_99gsDec-05-03 08:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4117, "RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?"
In response to Reply # 0

search search search! These have all been answered hundreds of times already.

$1500 is cheap for a reliable 1g. $1500 will get you a 1g AWD, but it most likely won't be too reliable.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EvMan2345Dec-05-03 08:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4118, "RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?"
In response to Reply # 1
Dec-05-03 08:19 PM by EvMan2345

ecu is a weak point. watch out for that. they're out there for under 1500. I got my 90 GSX with 80K on the motor for 1200 from a 60 yr old couple.

Evan B
97 GS
90 GSX
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

TeamJeff_99gsDec-05-03 08:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#4119, "RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?"
In response to Reply # 2

The ECU isn't a weak point. The caps are less than 2 dollars shipped. Getting them replaced should be less than $20.

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-05-03 09:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4120, "RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
The caps are less than 2 dollars shipped.

Damn! Where did you find those? Mine were like $2 and $7 for s/h.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

babybeclipseDec-06-03 05:10 AM
3083 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4121, "RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?"
In response to Reply # 4

I did search! I know the capacitors and the center diff are weak points. My post is more refering to things I should "feel" while driving the car. Is their a wierd stutter or anything when the Cap. is going out? How should the car feel during a test drive? I found someone desperate to sell

chrysler kidDec-06-03 12:33 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#4122, "RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?"
In response to Reply # 5

take it hard through first gear and a fast shift to second if it grinds you know the tranny has been abused, if its good then your goood. also listen to the rear end for ticking, hell the whole damn car should tick something fierce when it starts

11.65 @ 115

Mr PinkDec-06-03 01:23 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
274 posts,
#4123, "RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?"
In response to Reply # 6

90-91's have either ABS OR LSD, 92-94's have both(I believe). If it's an early one, check the door jamb, it will say if it's equipped with LSD. There were timing belt and transfer case recalls (and probably a bunch more), call Mitsu/Chrysler with the VIN and see if it's had the recalls done. I dunno what else.

http://www.kaptainmyke.com

HybriDSMDec-06-03 08:52 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#4124, "RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?"
In response to Reply # 7
Dec-06-03 08:54 PM by HybriDSM

TPS and ISC motors/sensors sometimes go bad causing bad idle surge and other stuttering/fluttering problems under load. Make sure none of these issues occur. A hig idle when cold is fine, but as long as the BISS is there you can adjust it for when its warm. Make sure it has a BISS, they can fall out.

Timing belt should have been changed around 60k miles and the trannies are like paper mache. Make sure there is no grinding going into 2nd and even 3rd.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Edie: 1500 will get you a fixer upper. If you want reliable right off someones driveway, you'll pay a bit more. Unless you are lucky. Best of luck.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

babybeclipseDec-07-03 06:04 AM
3083 posts,
#4125, "RE: Purchasing a 1g hehe what to look for?"
In response to Reply # 8

Thanks everyone thats all I needed to know

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4116 Previous topic | Next topic