Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3901
View in linear mode

Subject: "4G64 Help!!!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
98SpyderApr-23-04 06:31 AM
Member since Apr 21st 2004
18 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3901, "4G64 Help!!!!!"

Alright. I'm the proud and happy owner of a 98 Eclipse Spyder. Now I know the differences in the 4G64 and the 4G63T. (Larger bore/stroke etc). I'm looking to turbo charge my car and in the reserch I've done I see that most people do the 64 with the 63 exhaust manifold and turbo switch. My question is do you guys think it's worth it to do that or to just do a 64 to 63 switch? Wouldn't the 63 Block be better anyway since it is setup to handle the higher RPM's? I know the 64 motor has more torque but for the little bit of torque gain wouldn't it be more dependable to have the engine set to handle the revs? I know the 420a to 4G63T switch is a bitch. But from what i've read the only difference in the block is the 64 is 6mm higher to account for the higher stroke. So shouldn't the 63t block fit right into the 64 motor mounts? I'm not sure how it's set up because I haven't got the chance to look at where the 63t bolts to the frame yet.

P.S. I WANT BOOST!!!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, tim97rs, Apr-23-04 09:27 AM, #1
RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, HybriDSM, Apr-23-04 09:40 AM, #2
      RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, 98Spyder, Apr-23-04 09:50 AM, #3
           RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, Mattcky2k, Apr-23-04 09:55 AM, #4
           RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, 98Spyder, Apr-23-04 10:05 AM, #5
                RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-23-04 10:35 AM, #6
                     RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, 98Spyder, Apr-23-04 11:15 AM, #7
           RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, HybriDSM, Apr-23-04 11:19 AM, #8
                RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, 98Spyder, Apr-23-04 11:33 AM, #9
                     RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, Mattcky2k, Apr-23-04 12:00 PM, #10
                          RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, 98Spyder, Apr-24-04 01:56 AM, #11
                               RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, Matt_95tgs, Apr-24-04 04:19 AM, #12
                                    RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-24-04 07:53 AM, #13
                                         RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, Hult250R, Apr-24-04 08:55 AM, #14
                                              RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, chrysler kid, Apr-24-04 12:01 PM, #15
                                                   RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-24-04 09:36 PM, #16
                                                        RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, Remy, Apr-25-04 06:36 AM, #17
                                                             RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, 98Spyder, Apr-26-04 12:19 PM, #18
                                                                  RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!, Jay_98GSX, Apr-27-04 12:24 PM, #19

tim97rsApr-23-04 09:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3902, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-23-04 09:28 AM by tim97rs

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

HybriDSMApr-23-04 09:40 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#3903, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

When I get home from work, I'll round up my links to all the searching I did on the 64 swap. Trust me, I spent about three months trying to figure out all the intricacies of this swap, and still didn't conclude on way or another if I wanted to do it.

I'll fill in more info when I have the time. My advice, is spend a LONG time researching, then think about doing it.

4G64 block with 4g63 everything else. Head, manifolds, turbo etc.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

98SpyderApr-23-04 09:50 AM
18 posts,
#3904, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

I don't think the 64 block with 63 everything else would work. Because of the 1.5mm difference in the porting. Wouldn't that seriously screw up the combustion chamber? I could see the exhaust manifold switch because your still keeping the same head. Although it seems like that would be shooting yourself in the foot because the engine isn't setup to handle the higher RPM's(and live). I think a full swap to a 4g63t would be the best way to go. I'm just curious if it would bolt right into the existing motor mounts. Through all the research i've done I haven't found out anything about it. Seems like everyone does the manifold switch and not the full motor switch. I've also heard about the method you were talking about (Switching the heads out totally). But that seems like an inherantly bad idea because of the stroke/porting differences. My basic question stays the same. Would the 4g63 motor bolt into an engine bay that now accomidates a 4g64?

Mattcky2kApr-23-04 09:55 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2002
1135 posts,
#3905, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

just buy a GS-T spyder!j/k you might get more help on this site http://4g64.150m.com/ and i'm pretty sure they make turbo kits for that engine anyway.

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: K&N Filter, John Sheppard built transmission with GVR4 1st gear, autometer boost gauge, "free mods", Greddy type-s BOV, broken shifter

98SpyderApr-23-04 10:05 AM
18 posts,
#3906, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah I've checked through all of that site. It's essentially a turbo bolt on with 63 parts. However because of the 64's limited power at high RPM I think it would be most beneficial to swap out for a 63t. I just don't know if the block etc will bolt in.

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-23-04 10:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3907, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by 98Spyder
However because of the 64's limited power at high RPM I think it would be most beneficial to swap out for a 63t.

wouldn't a little boost cure that?

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

98SpyderApr-23-04 11:15 AM
18 posts,
#3908, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Yeah the boost would help...however since the engine wasn't balanced for high rpm wouldn't that significantly lower the life expectency of the motor? Where as the 63t was built to handle being turned at high RPM more often then not:D (The way I drive anyway). I'm just trying to get speed and reliability in the same package(I know...it ain't cheap.)

HybriDSMApr-23-04 11:19 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#3909, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by 98Spyder
I don't think the 64 block with 63 everything else would work. Because of the 1.5mm difference in the porting. Wouldn't that seriously screw up the combustion chamber? I could see the exhaust manifold switch because your still keeping the same head. Although it seems like that would be shooting yourself in the foot because the engine isn't setup to handle the higher RPM's(and live). I think a full swap to a 4g63t would be the best way to go. I'm just curious if it would bolt right into the existing motor mounts. Through all the research i've done I haven't found out anything about it. Seems like everyone does the manifold switch and not the full motor switch. I've also heard about the method you were talking about (Switching the heads out totally). But that seems like an inherantly bad idea because of the stroke/porting differences. My basic question stays the same. Would the 4g63 motor bolt into an engine bay that now accomidates a 4g64?

You have to port match everything.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

98SpyderApr-23-04 11:33 AM
18 posts,
#3910, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Yes but the basic question still remains. Would the 63t bolt into the engine bay of a 64? Or is it a totally different configuration such as the 420a to 63t.

Mattcky2kApr-23-04 12:00 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2002
1135 posts,
#3911, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

with money, time, and knowledge anything would be possible

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: K&N Filter, John Sheppard built transmission with GVR4 1st gear, autometer boost gauge, "free mods", Greddy type-s BOV, broken shifter

98SpyderApr-24-04 01:56 AM
18 posts,
#3912, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 10

Your right. Money and Time ain't the problem. Not having turbo i
Anyway. Does anyone know the difference between the 64 and the 63T on how they bolt into the engine compartment???

Matt_95tgsApr-24-04 04:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#3913, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 11
Apr-24-04 04:41 AM by Matt_95tgs

My brother is currently finished building this longblock and getting ready to drop it in. He has a 4g64 block with a 1g 4g63 head. He's using a Magnus Motorsports intake manifold and a ported EVOIII exhaust manifold with a forced performance fp3065 turbo. You can see some pics of it coming together on his website: www.mitsugsx.com but it hasn't been updated in awhile. Here's a few more pics I have laying around (add http://www. to the links):

imagestation.com/picture/sraid113/p0d1359b4a168a671533d963b1c412364/f8e709ca.jpg

imagestation.com/picture/sraid113/p7bffc57052223c03f9538c2e7ad621f3/f8e709cc.jpg

imagestation.com/picture/sraid113/p81bf9d06f6fc62a7a6a18b4c62bbebe0/f8e709ce.jpg

So anyway, yes, it is very possible

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-24-04 07:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3914, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 12

If you're really that set on dropping in a 4G63, do it right make it AWD while you're at it...

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

Hult250RApr-24-04 08:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#3915, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by eclipzGST
If you're really that set on dropping in a 4G63, do it right make it AWD while you're at it...

...and supercharge it too

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

chrysler kidApr-24-04 12:01 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#3916, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 14
Apr-24-04 12:01 PM by chrysler kid

the 4g64 shares the same engine mounts as the 63 so bolting it in isnt a problem. its probably a pretty easy swap to do, with the most major thing you have to adjust would be addin the wiring for the cam angle censors and swap out the ecu. searching dsmtalk.com or dsmtuners.com would probably be very helpful. the only other thing i could suggest would be to buy a chiltons service manual and comparing the wiring diagrams between the two engines

11.65 @ 115

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-24-04 09:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3917, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by Hult250R
Originally posted by eclipzGST If you're really that set on dropping in a 4G63, do it right make it AWD while you're at it...

I was actually serious.

RemyApr-25-04 06:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#3918, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by Hult250R
Originally posted by eclipzGST If you're really that set on dropping in a 4G63, do it right make it AWD while you're at it...
I was actually serious.

Tony you got mail.

www.dsmlife.com

98SpyderApr-26-04 12:19 PM
18 posts,
#3919, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 17

Thanks to everyone who responded...I unfortunatly have another question heh. Now that it has been determined that the engine will bolt in...my next question involves the Tranny....Will the engine bolt to the same tranny? How good is the stock 64 Tranny? My main concern is if the tranny's different then the bolts to the suspension would be different and if there was a nightmare in the swap I think that would be it. Anyone know what kind of hp the stock tranny will hold?

Jay_98GSXApr-27-04 12:24 PM
Member since Apr 17th 2002
18 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3920, "RE: 4G64 Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 18

The swap is easy. The ONLY physical differences between the 4g63 and 4g64 in terms of mounting it are: 1) The 4g64 is 6mm taller than the 4g63 so everything from the head up is raised 6mm (this doesnt affect anything by the way). And 2) The 4g64 has 6 coolant passages on the deck that the 4g63 doesn't have, so they must be blocked. The motormounts are the same, all of the 4g63 accessories (water pump, front case, a/c, timing components, oil filter bracket, etc...) all bolt on just the same as the 63. The tranny is no different, your stock tranny will bolt right on along with your 7-bolt flywheel. In my mind the easiest thing to do is to swap the 4g64 head with a 4g63 and slap a turbo on it just like you would expect it to look from the factory. Then not only will you save $$$ by not replacing a motor, but you'll have a motor that flows a lot more air and will spool up your turbo in a hurry. If you want to see what it all looks like or have some questions you can email me at jay@fasterthanyou.com. I'm doing a longrod 4g64 swap into a 98 gsx and have a crapload of pics.

Jay Jay the Jet Plane

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3901 Previous topic | Next topic