Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3522
View in linear mode

Subject: "Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?" Previous topic | Next topic
a_miller_76May-08-04 03:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3522, "Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?"

I've seen the car and it's in good shape. It's automatic with 80k miles. The deal is the dealership put in a new engine and the dude couldn't pay for it. So I'm buying the car really REALLY cheap.

What things should I look for?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?, BigBald, May-08-04 03:25 PM, #1
RE: Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?, a_miller_76, May-08-04 03:30 PM, #2
      RE: Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?, theallpowerfulme, May-08-04 05:13 PM, #3
           RE: Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?, ModeratoreclipzGST, May-08-04 05:49 PM, #4
           RE: Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?, Diceman19, May-08-04 05:53 PM, #5
                RE: Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?, chrysler kid, May-08-04 06:02 PM, #6
                     RE: Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?, Vandy420a, May-08-04 09:13 PM, #7

BigBaldMay-08-04 03:25 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3523, "RE: Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Auto.....Bah.......

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

a_miller_76May-08-04 03:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#3524, "RE: Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?"
In response to Reply # 1

2000 bucks dude, i don't mind the auto

theallpowerfulmeMay-08-04 05:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#3525, "RE: Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?"
In response to Reply # 2

AT is cool, go ahead and order a turbo timer.

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

ModeratoreclipzGSTMay-08-04 05:49 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3526, "RE: Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?"
In response to Reply # 3

get it.At's have less chance of CW.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Diceman19May-08-04 05:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#3527, "RE: Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?"
In response to Reply # 3

leaks of any kind would be a good start. they may be satan, but they WILL NOT be perfect, even for the millions of dollars they charge for labor. ha.

chrysler kidMay-08-04 06:02 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#3528, "RE: Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?"
In response to Reply # 5

clicking noise from the bottom of the engine bay.

11.65 @ 115

Vandy420aMay-08-04 09:13 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#3529, "RE: Getting a 1996 TSI AWD.......what should I look for when I go to inspect it?"
In response to Reply # 6
May-08-04 09:16 PM by Vandy420a

Ok you're going to look like a madman here, but see if you can do all of this stuff, if possible. Ask them to pull it into the garage and ask the mechanic to do the stuff that requires minor disassembly under the hood if they're hesitant.

Look for drilled holes or any glue residue near the steering column and surrounding trim pieces (from guages, etc---basically see if it was modded). If they let you, take a look at the dump tube, too, and see if it was cut. Look for small signs of ground wires from aftermarket crap..I found some electrical connectors by the drivers side trim screws, which worries me b/c it means the previous owner did SOMETHING, hopefully just a timer, and I could've gotten the car for less. I garantee the dealer didnt' check for that (connectors, dump tube mod) and if any of its there, its a sure sign the car's been dogged/modded, and you can talk them down even more. Also, is it a rebuilt 7-bolt motor? gouge them on that if it is, its a potential Cwalk if its rebuilt(you can prob assume the car was slightly mistreated if it needed a rebuild at 80k---hopefully he broke it and it didnt' walk).

If it is a 7-bolt, ask them how they rebuilt it--i.e. overbored the sleeves, new sleeves, whatever. What you're looking for is to see if they mention the oil squirters. I've heard that if you "plug" them, it rectifies crankwalk, but thats only a VERY unconfirmed urban legend, and I think it isn't true. From what I understand, a rebuilt 7bolt that walked the first time will walk again. Look under the front bumper and see if anything was "shaved" down or drilled into---you're looking for a former FMIC. (not a biggie or deal breaker, just another excuse for a better deal).

Check the tranny and see if it quasi-smoothly downshifts when driving into 2nd, and preferrably 1st (probably won't for 1st, but 2nd is crucial). See if the car kicks reverse out of gear or grinds in R. Mine does it (grinds in Reverse) and the tranny ist still OK, but i'm only at 58k..... Most of the trannies won't be smooth at all, but if any of these things are REALLY bad your 2k car might turn into a 4k car sooner than you planned.

2k is a steal assuming the tranny/engine are really OK, but if you find this crap you CAN legitimately talk them down--but you do run the risk of them just booting you out. Look at it this way, though, if they tell you politely to f-off, then you know something is amiss.

As with any car at a dealer, dont' fall in love with it! There are a million for sale elsewhere, so find a good one!

Good luck!

Matt

Am I missing anything here guys?

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3522 Previous topic | Next topic