Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #2924
View in linear mode

Subject: "well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......" Previous topic | Next topic
optimuspetersonNov-16-04 03:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2924, "well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"

So i might be test driving/ looking at a 97 gsx auto. I want to know what exactly should i be looking out for on the 4g63 and is there any thing i should whatch out for since its an auto. I've never even looked under the hood of a turbo'd dsm so this will all be new territory too me.

don't want to be driving home to only find out it has no axels, lol.

and yes, i suppose you could call me a newb on this. thanks guys.

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, ModeratoreclipzGST, Nov-16-04 04:46 PM, #1
RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, optimuspeterson, Nov-16-04 04:58 PM, #2
      RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, HybriDSM, Nov-16-04 05:24 PM, #3
      RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, Diceman19, Nov-16-04 08:11 PM, #4
           RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, HybriDSM, Nov-17-04 03:25 AM, #5
      RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, DSMTunerS95, Nov-17-04 06:29 AM, #6
           RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, Diceman19, Nov-17-04 08:27 AM, #7
                RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, optimuspeterson, Nov-17-04 09:22 AM, #8
                     RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, HybriDSM, Nov-17-04 09:35 AM, #9
                          RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, optimuspeterson, Nov-17-04 11:14 AM, #10
                               RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, ModeratoreclipzGST, Nov-17-04 11:36 AM, #11
                                    RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, HybriDSM, Nov-17-04 11:45 AM, #12
                                         RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, optimuspeterson, Nov-20-04 12:30 PM, #13
                                              RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, 420a-Tnthewerks, Nov-20-04 12:57 PM, #14
                                              RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, ModeratoreclipzGST, Nov-20-04 02:08 PM, #15
                                                   RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, HybriDSM, Nov-20-04 02:16 PM, #16
                                                        RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, optimuspeterson, Nov-20-04 03:54 PM, #17
                                                             RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, Remy, Nov-20-04 08:44 PM, #18
                                                                  RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, Vandy420a, Nov-22-04 05:47 AM, #19
                                                                       RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......, Diceman19, Nov-22-04 06:18 PM, #20

ModeratoreclipzGSTNov-16-04 04:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2925, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 0
Nov-16-04 04:48 PM by eclipzGST

You'd pretty much look for the same thing you'd check for in ANY used car.
Maintenance records,
compression test,
Funny noises,
shifts well,
Clunking suspension ect...
Take out the dipstick for the tranny and make sure the fluid doesn't smell "burnt" and has a nice transluscent red color.

Have them put the car on a lift and check for wet spots or leaks around the rear diff.

AWD A/T's are fun. If you get it, enjoy!

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

optimuspetersonNov-16-04 04:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#2926, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 1

well this is a private seller and the only way either of us can get togther is on weekends so putting the car up on the lift and doing the compression test (i don't have any of my tools here) probably won't happen.

Where do the common leaks happen? I know on the 2gnt its on the back of the block at the HG. i'm just looking for common places to check out like that. I hope i get it, i love roolin on the 20"s but gas milleage is really breaking my balls.

2006 Scion tC

HybriDSMNov-16-04 05:24 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#2927, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 2

Here are a few threads from the past that might help.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=8917&mesg_id=8917&listing_type=search

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=8399&mode=full

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=8606&mesg_id=8606&listing_type=search (As a good thread for starting out)

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=6370&mesg_id=6370&listing_type=search

Those all have some of the info you'll need. Basically go to vfaq.com and read until your eyes bleed. Then you'll be ready to ask some more pointed questions and from there we can spread whatever info you need from us. I wish I could be in your position again, getting the car for the first time.

Have fun and ask away when you want.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Diceman19Nov-16-04 08:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#2928, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by HybriDSM
Here are a few threads from the past that might help. http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=8917&mesg_id=8917&listing_type=search http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=8399&mode=full http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=8606&mesg_id=8606&listing_type=search (As a good thread for starting out) http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=6370&mesg_id=6370&listing_type=search Those all have some of the info you'll need. Basically go to vfaq.com and read until your eyes bleed. Then you'll be ready to ask some more pointed questions and from there we can spread whatever info you need from us. I wish I could be in your position again, getting the car for the first time. Have fun and ask away when you want.

and FYI, they will bleed in about 5 minutes. information overload IMO.

HybriDSMNov-17-04 03:25 AM
2407 posts,
#2929, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 4
Nov-17-04 03:25 AM by HybriDSM

Originally posted by Diceman19
Originally posted by HybriDSM What I said in my first post.
What Diceman said in his post.

I'm just trying to show all angles for a new person. I almost just told him to search, but that wouldn't have been very helpful.

Information overload will take a few months before the data becomes manageable. After that, you can assimilate alot of info once you know all the basics.

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

DSMTunerS95Nov-17-04 06:29 AM
Member since Jul 30th 2003
185 posts,
#2930, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 2
Nov-17-04 06:29 AM by DSMTunerS95

Originally posted by optimuspeterson
I hope i get it, i love roolin on the 20"s but gas milleage is really breaking my balls.

I wouldn't count on great gas mileage with one of these cars, especially auto and awd, I guess if its in stock condtion it wouldnt be to bad, when u start to modify it and up the boost, it just disapears. but i average 16mpg city with my foot in it alot, 5spd, awd 1g

Diceman19Nov-17-04 08:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#2931, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 6

yea, i was getting about 20-24 mpg when mine was still running. that was completely stock.

optimuspetersonNov-17-04 09:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#2932, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 7

i get at best 12-14 mpg on the highway and my foot isn't in it at all.

2006 Scion tC

HybriDSMNov-17-04 09:35 AM
2407 posts,
#2933, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 8

With my 850cc injectors, I can get over 22 mpg on the highway.

However, if I am on it alot, I can get about 1/4 tank gone in about 20-30 miles.

On and off boost are vastly different.

optimuspetersonNov-17-04 11:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#2934, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 9

yay, if the girl said she would take, 6800 for (i don't think she realizes what she has) it. Now i'm waiting for the call back from the credit union. Here is me crossing my fingers. If all goes well i will have it by saturday

2006 Scion tC

ModeratoreclipzGSTNov-17-04 11:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#2935, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 10

NICE price! Chick owner too.
If you don't boost too much, you'll be all set. My car was great on gas before I started modding it. Not so much now cause I beat on it quite a bit

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

HybriDSMNov-17-04 11:45 AM
2407 posts,
#2936, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 11

My car used to sip gas. Now it just pours it all over itself from a widemouth jug.

Have fun with the car. Feel free to ask away in here any questions you may have.

optimuspetersonNov-20-04 12:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#2937, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 12

yay, i'm now the owner of a silver 97 GSX. BANME!. all the little difference are kinda funny from a 95 to 97

2006 Scion tC

420a-TnthewerksNov-20-04 12:57 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#2938, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 13

yay, i'm now the owner of a silver 97 GSX. BANME!. all the little difference are kinda funny from a 95 to 97

DAMN, that sweet as shit dude! it seems like it happened so fast lol.

i might look at car today
i offer xxxx
yay, i'm the new owner...haha.

you should seen me.

glance over at an eclipse
go look at it...GST, sweet
ask him how much
come back couple hours later
yay, i'm the new owner lol

ModeratoreclipzGSTNov-20-04 02:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#2939, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 13

yay, i'm now the owner of a silver 97 GSX.

HybriDSMNov-20-04 02:16 PM
2407 posts,
#2940, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 15

Congrats man. Read vfaq.com about 20 times front to back and you should be ready to go. Ask away in here. Let us all know how we can help.

optimuspetersonNov-20-04 03:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#2941, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 16

thanks guys. first thing i'm doing is buying something i've always wanted but never had the guts to do. I'm getting this headunit/screen. Its a lot of money but hella cool

2006 Scion tC

RemyNov-20-04 08:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#2942, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 17

congrats.

WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

Vandy420aNov-22-04 05:47 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#2943, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 18

back on the gas mileage thing---on road trips I see upwards of 35mpg. Its all in never touching boost and doing running adjustments of your fuel based on what speed you want to cruise at vs. your EGT's. I richen mine out on shorter trips so I can hang out at 90 for a while, go up and down a few hills, and still only hover at 800C. But on longer trips i'll peg the cruise at 75-80 and richen up until my EGT's are around 800. Then just stay off boost.

660's
255 Lp
SAFCII

I've also hit 40mpg when i drove home w/a boost leak...FWD helps, but its not THAT big of an advantage

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Diceman19Nov-22-04 06:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#2944, "RE: well, just maybe i'll be test driving a......"
In response to Reply # 19

yea, i will def be adjusting fuel trims depending on long hauls and such. when i get my 750cc injectors, i will need to do so.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #2924 Previous topic | Next topic