Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1876
View in linear mode

Subject: "got offered a 1g" Previous topic | Next topic
wikid420aJun-29-05 04:47 AM
Member since Jun 14th 2005
144 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1876, "got offered a 1g"

my buddy offered to sell me his automatic 1g awd talon with 132k on it. it needs 3 calapers, and a cv joint. but hes also gonna give me all his turbo stuff from his 2g that he blew up whick is a evo 3 16g, pace setter manifold, 2g intercooler pipin (which i would sell for 1g piping) gretty type-s bov, 660 injectors, and boost gauge, and a set of 17in konig monsoon rims for 2k. do u guys think i should pass it up or try to get a loan for it?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: got offered a 1g, TeamJeff_99gs, Jun-29-05 04:58 AM, #1
RE: got offered a 1g, wikid420a, Jun-29-05 05:07 AM, #2
      RE: got offered a 1g, Pitchblack98, Jun-29-05 06:04 AM, #3
           RE: got offered a 1g, a_miller_76, Jun-29-05 06:28 AM, #4
                RE: got offered a 1g, TeamJeff_99gs, Jun-29-05 07:28 AM, #5
                     RE: got offered a 1g, wikid420a, Jun-29-05 12:39 PM, #6
                          RE: got offered a 1g, HybriDSM, Jun-29-05 12:43 PM, #7
                               RE: got offered a 1g, TeamJeff_99gs, Jun-29-05 12:45 PM, #8
                                    RE: got offered a 1g, Pitchblack98, Jun-29-05 12:49 PM, #9
                                    RE: got offered a 1g, wikid420a, Jun-29-05 12:49 PM, #10
                                         RE: got offered a 1g, wikid420a, Jun-29-05 12:52 PM, #11
                                         RE: got offered a 1g, Pitchblack98, Jun-29-05 01:19 PM, #15
                                         RE: got offered a 1g, HybriDSM, Jun-29-05 01:02 PM, #12
                                              RE: got offered a 1g, wikid420a, Jun-29-05 01:11 PM, #13
                                                   RE: got offered a 1g, HybriDSM, Jun-29-05 01:13 PM, #14
                                                        RE: got offered a 1g, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jun-29-05 04:03 PM, #16
                                                             RE: got offered a 1g, a_miller_76, Jun-29-05 04:19 PM, #17
                                                             RE: got offered a 1g, BMPDirk, Jun-29-05 06:14 PM, #19
                                                                  RE: got offered a 1g, 420a-Tnthewerks, Jun-29-05 08:56 PM, #20
                                                             RE: got offered a 1g, TeamJeff_99gs, Jun-29-05 06:12 PM, #18
                                                                  RE: got offered a 1g, sonikbewm, Jun-29-05 09:05 PM, #21

TeamJeff_99gsJun-29-05 04:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1877, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 0

Pace setter manifold? New to me..

If you have to get a loan for $2,000 you shouldn't be owning a modified turbo DSM. They break and are expensive to fix.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

wikid420aJun-29-05 05:07 AM
144 posts,
#1878, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 1

sorry i dont have 2k to pull right out of my pocket that i can spend on a car i have bills to pay.dont know about that manifold thats what he told me... do u think its a good deal or not?

Pitchblack98Jun-29-05 06:04 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#1879, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 2

Pacesetter make a manifold, but its crap and will crack after a while. I ran across them when I was shopping for a mani for my 1g.

a_miller_76Jun-29-05 06:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#1880, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 3

If you're taking out a loan for $2000 to buy a car that you can't drive and you have to have a loan because you don't have the money readily available to fix the car that doesn't run because a bunch of stuff is pre-broken and it comes with a POS manifold that needs to be replaced immediately then I'd say don't waste your time. (run on sentence on purpose)

TeamJeff_99gsJun-29-05 07:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#1881, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by a_miller_76
If you're taking out a loan for $2000 to buy a car that you can't drive and you have to have a loan because you don't have the money readily available to fix the car that doesn't run because a bunch of stuff is pre-broken and it comes with a POS manifold that needs to be replaced immediately then I'd say don't waste your time. (run on sentence on purpose)

Well that is what I was trying to say, but I guess it did not come out very clearly.

wikid420aJun-29-05 12:39 PM
144 posts,
#1882, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 5

just cause i need a loan for 2k doesnt mean i dont have the money to fix it right off the bat, im just gonna stop posting on this site. people dont have the common curtisy to awnser things nicely without ASSuming things!

HybriDSMJun-29-05 12:43 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#1883, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 6
Jun-29-05 12:58 PM by HybriDSM

Originally posted by wikid420a
just cause i need a loan for 2k doesnt mean i dont have the money to fix it right off the bat, im just gonna stop posting on this site. people dont have the common curtisy to awnser things nicely without ASSuming things!

I'm not sure how we are being asses. You mentioned you need a loan for $2k to buy a car that likely needs another $2k in repairs to get it to tip top running shape. What are we missing here? If you have $2k to do the repairs, why not buy it with that cash?

Also, let's not start coming around and blaming everyone else when we're extremely vague and ambiguous. It does not speak well of a gentlemen and a scholar (if one aspires to such things).

And finally: "Later."

I am really holding back on what I feel should be said. I unequivocally resent ANYONE, who comes in and gets defensive and combative with the members of this forum who have dedicated hours upon countless hours helping out people in need. Before you are so quick to dismiss the "asses" around here, look back through the history of the 1G/4G63 forum and check for the names of people who have answered the same asinine question ad nauseum, and have gone out of their way to solve a problem for a fellow DSM'er. Then when you see Jeff, Pitchblack and A_Miller's name all over the archived threads, maybe you'll realize the what you thought was "us being assholes" was really, in fact, sound advice. Either way, whatever.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

TeamJeff_99gsJun-29-05 12:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#1884, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by HybriDSM
And finally: "Later."

Pitchblack98Jun-29-05 12:49 PM
1691 posts,
#1885, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 8

sounds like you want the car pretty bad to be putting up a fight over it. Get a loan, go pick it up, and stare at it for a year in your garage or yard while you try to fix it. Why ask for someone opinion when your gonna get defensive about it. Get the car and sit on it until your able to fix it and keep it up.

wikid420aJun-29-05 12:49 PM
144 posts,
#1886, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 8

how do u figure 2k in repairs to get it in "tip top shape"

wikid420aJun-29-05 12:52 PM
144 posts,
#1887, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 10

i dont understand how u think its gonna take a year to fix

Pitchblack98Jun-29-05 01:19 PM
1691 posts,
#1888, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 11

i dont understand how u think its gonna take a year to fix

Its an old car... Once you start tearing into it to fix the problems it has your going to find more. I worked on my 1g for a year and half. From only needing to replace and axel and get an exhaust mani. It ended up being a complete rebuild from the ground up. Granted yours may not turn out that way, but you never know when you buy a 15 year old car.

HybriDSMJun-29-05 01:02 PM
2407 posts,
#1889, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 10
Jun-29-05 01:06 PM by HybriDSM

how do u figure 2k in repairs to get it in "tip top shape"

Calipers, and cv repairs are a couple hundred, even getting the calipers from the junk yard. Then new brake pads all around and new fluid. CV boots are realtively expensive but not terrible.

Has the timing belt been changed? Well if it needs to be, expect anouther 3-500 in repairs. Then if labor is involved, add a couple hundred more.

On a car that old, little things add up. When you do calipers, you'll probably want to put on fresh rotors, and pads. You'll probably want to replace a lot of things that over 14 years rot/rust/disintegrate.

Just be prepared to spend a lot more than you think. Every one of us has gone through it.

The nice thing is, the mods you are getting from the guy in addition to the car could be sold to offset alot of the cost you might incur, that is, if you are willing to go that route. That remains up to you.

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

wikid420aJun-29-05 01:11 PM
144 posts,
#1890, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 12

it was just out of the shop has a brand new head on it they snapped the timing belt befor

HybriDSMJun-29-05 01:13 PM
2407 posts,
#1891, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 13

So brand new timing belt too? Then the costs that I can think of right away are lower, but again, I'd be conservative and budget $2k for repairs. That's just me though.

Old car. Tough to get around that.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJun-29-05 04:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1892, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 14

You only need one good caliper since it's A/T. You won't need to slow down if you can't go fast...
Replace axle, slap on 16G, drop in the 660's, blow it up, crash cause you can't stop and then tell the guy to give you back $1000 for selling you a lemon. Then, sell the car as is for $1500 and you just made $500 cash and still have some sweet rims!

I'm totally just kidding BTW.
Yeah, it could be a good deal IF, you sell ALL the extra stuff he's giving you. Take the money and sink it back into the car on MAINTENANCE parts.
Get as much taken care of and get it running as good as new before you even THINK about modding it.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

a_miller_76Jun-29-05 04:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#1893, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 16

If you have $4000 to spend I'll sell you a runnin 1995 TSI AWD that just needs some body work and a pass/back seat.

BMPDirkJun-29-05 06:14 PM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#1894, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 17
Jun-29-05 06:22 PM by BMPDirk

it never ceases(sp?) to amaze me how much people love drama on this forum. The guy asked if 2k was a good deal for this particular car, he didnt ask for financial advising. Jesus, this thread has 18 replies and none had helped this guy. Jeff is right, if you have to take out a loan for this car, and it needs repairs, its probably not wise to purchase it....BUT, that wasnt your question, and you dont need 10+ people telling you the same thing.

With that said, what year 1g is it exactly? If the timing belt has recently been changed and the head has been rebuilt, thats one less thing to worry about. Were the cam seals, tensioner, waterpump, etc replaced when the timing belt was replaced? How is the exterior and interior condition of the car? Compression? Depending on the condition and year of the car, if all it needs is 3 calibers and one cv joint it sounds like a good deal, especialy if he throws in the evoIII 16g, pacecetter header(crap though, sell it), and other goodies(2g parts and rims).

OFF TOPIC: I wish half the people would respond to my thread

420a-TnthewerksJun-29-05 08:56 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#1895, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 19
Jun-29-05 09:11 PM by 420a-Tnthewerks

Originally posted by BMPDirk
it never ceases(sp?) to amaze me how much people love drama on this forum. The guy asked if 2k was a good deal for this particular car, he didnt ask for financial advising. Jesus, this thread has 18 replies and none had helped this guy. Jeff is right, if you have to take out a loan for this car, and it needs repairs, its probably not wise to purchase it....BUT, that wasnt your question, and you dont need 10+ people telling you the same thing. With that said, what year 1g is it exactly? If the timing belt has recently been changed and the head has been rebuilt, thats one less thing to worry about. Were the cam seals, tensioner, waterpump, etc replaced when the timing belt was replaced? How is the exterior and interior condition of the car? Compression? Depending on the condition and year of the car, if all it needs is 3 calibers and one cv joint it sounds like a good deal, especialy if he throws in the evoIII 16g, pacecetter header(crap though, sell it), and other goodies(2g parts and rims). OFF TOPIC: I wish half the people would respond to my thread

I think we think the same. I know I SURE as HELL didn't have two thousand extra dollars when I bought my car(still don't, not even close). It's not like he has to have all the money at once to be able buy a car and I bet he has another car to drive if something does go wrong(or at least get a ride).

Post some pics so we can judge the car at hand better.

TeamJeff_99gsJun-29-05 06:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#1896, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by eclipzGST
You only need one good caliper since it's A/T. You won't need to slow down if you can't go fast... Replace axle, slap on 16G, drop in the 660's, blow it up, crash cause you can't stop and then tell the guy to give you back $1000 for selling you a lemon. Then, sell the car as is for $1500 and you just made $500 cash and still have some sweet rims! I'm totally just kidding BTW. Yeah, it could be a good deal IF, you sell ALL the extra stuff he's giving you. Take the money and sink it back into the car on MAINTENANCE parts. Get as much taken care of and get it running as good as new before you even THINK about modding it.

Awesome.

sonikbewmJun-29-05 09:05 PM
Member since Dec 01st 2001
4011 posts,
#1897, "RE: got offered a 1g"
In response to Reply # 18

Or you can buy my 1g AWD for $2950 and not have to fix a damn thing.

Jason
'11 Ford Mustang GT/CS
'11 Ford Mustang V6 6-Speed (SOLD)
'04 Nissan 350z Touring (SOLD)
'95 Turbo Eclipse GS (SOLD and will be missed)
'90 Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1876 Previous topic | Next topic