Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1575
View in linear mode

Subject: "Putting Serena on a diet..." Previous topic | Next topic
NHH223Aug-14-05 04:47 AM
Member since Apr 20th 2004
161 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1575, "Putting Serena on a diet..."

We all know trimming the fat off our rides will gives us better times at the track. Haven't been to the track yet, but I want a good heads up on some decent weight loss for my ride. Here's a list I've compiled and I was hoping for anyone to contribute to it. Is there ANYTHING we can cut up, cut out, or get rid of that we REALLY don't need?

CF hood
fiberglass fenders
lightweight rims and low-pro tires
toss the spare tire and jack/lug wrench
lighter racing seats
race with less fuel

Others probably, but is that a good start?

'95 Copper GS-T "Serena" Stage 3 CM Clutch w/alumin flywheel, Injen Intake, Apex'i I/C pipes + Twin Chamber BOV, Defi D-Series Boost + A/F gauges...pushing 17psi!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Putting Serena on a diet..., PowerEclipses, Aug-14-05 06:08 AM, #1
RE: Putting Serena on a diet..., NHH223, Aug-14-05 06:34 AM, #2
      RE: Putting Serena on a diet..., PowerEclipses, Aug-14-05 11:12 AM, #3
           RE: Putting Serena on a diet..., nordstrom, Aug-16-05 06:09 AM, #4
                RE: Putting Serena on a diet..., All4thaN0okie, Aug-16-05 10:33 AM, #5
                     RE: Putting Serena on a diet..., NHH223, Aug-16-05 02:21 PM, #6
                          RE: Putting Serena on a diet..., Vandy420a, Aug-17-05 12:45 AM, #7
                               RE: Putting Serena on a diet..., theallpowerfulme, Aug-20-05 05:37 PM, #8
                                    RE: Putting Serena on a diet..., Vandy420a, Aug-21-05 04:32 PM, #11
                                         RE: Putting Serena on a diet..., theallpowerfulme, Aug-30-05 06:07 PM, #14
RE: Putting Serena on a diet..., JReynosa, Aug-20-05 09:34 PM, #9
RE: Putting Serena on a diet..., NHH223, Aug-21-05 09:49 AM, #10
      RE: Putting Serena on a diet..., Hult250R, Aug-21-05 05:26 PM, #12
           RE: Putting Serena on a diet..., NHH223, Aug-22-05 05:00 PM, #13

PowerEclipsesAug-14-05 06:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1576, "RE: Putting Serena on a diet..."
In response to Reply # 0

atkins diet

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

NHH223Aug-14-05 06:34 AM
161 posts,
#1577, "RE: Putting Serena on a diet..."
In response to Reply # 1

If you wanna cause heart failure and deprive yourself of what you really need, then go for it!

But seriously, is there pieces of excess frame material we can cut off the car?

Better yet, has anyone built and aluminum racing frame in a street driven 2G? That'd save us atleast 500lbs or so, right?

'95 Copper GS-T "Serena" Stage 3 CM Clutch w/alumin flywheel, Injen Intake, Apex'i I/C pipes + Twin Chamber BOV, Defi D-Series Boost + A/F gauges...pushing 17psi!

PowerEclipsesAug-14-05 11:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#1578, "RE: Putting Serena on a diet..."
In response to Reply # 2

haha because i was an ass the first time i posted, I remember seeing an RX7 somewhere that had holes drilled throughout the frame to reduce weight, not sure how good of an idea this is haha, but it would save some wieght

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

nordstromAug-16-05 06:09 AM
Member since Aug 15th 2002
161 posts,
#1579, "RE: Putting Serena on a diet..."
In response to Reply # 3

i have a buddy that takes out his package shelf, a.k.a. the back seat. could drain your windshield washer fluid? if its full that could be a bit of weight

All4thaN0okieAug-16-05 10:33 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2001
501 posts,
#1580, "RE: Putting Serena on a diet..."
In response to Reply # 4

take out a/c, radio, speakers, interior, panels, emissions equipment, carpet, sound deadener under carpet, lexan windows, etc.
It's all about how much money you want to spend and how comfortable you want to be....

NHH223Aug-16-05 02:21 PM
161 posts,
#1581, "RE: Putting Serena on a diet..."
In response to Reply # 5

I want to be comfortable, kinda. My A/C doesn't work and I'm too lazy to fix it, so I might able to go without that.

Switching to carbon fiber hood, fiber glass fenders, CF hatch, and pulling the spare tire, jack, and ripping out the other stuff... what would that be in weight? and would it make a difference?

I was considering plasma cutting the trunk pocket out, and then welding a metal plate in there, of aluminum. Taking away trunk space, but also minimizing the weight of the "pocket" i should call it.

Also, behind the rear seats, and under the panels, there is frame, can we trim that? If I welded a bar to the bottom, and put a strut tie-bar to my towers, I should still have the intial chassis support, correct?

Eh, whatever, lol, im trying to think of some weight savings...

Any lighter bumpers? LOL

Vandy420aAug-17-05 12:45 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#1582, "RE: Putting Serena on a diet..."
In response to Reply # 6
Aug-17-05 12:45 AM by Vandy420a

i replied to this thread earlier but for some reason (my ISP sucks) it didnt' post.

Anyways, beyond spare tire/jack, pass seat, CF hood, and any *EXTRA* stereo equipment I wouldn't bother. Here's why:

1.) Spend the money on lighter wheels instead of alot of this crap, esp. lexan. Your stockers, unless they're steelies, are stupid heavy. In fact, spend your money on a great set of tires. You'll notice WAY more difference in speed/grip.

2.) Lexan scratches and doesn't go up or down. Really a pain in the ass for a daily driver. Remember going to the bank, drive through, paying tolls, etc? They turn into the worst thing ever, esp. in the rain.

3.) the weight you save by cutting out the spare tire "pocket", as you call it, and welding in a plate is pretty negligable. On top of that you stand to do a fair amount of damage to the car if you screw it up and even if you do it right, good luck reselling the car later on down the road.

4.) I've seen many eclipses with their interiors stripped. It looks ugly as hell, and the pieces most people strip (i.e. plastic trim) has very little weight anyways. You can lose all that crap and save 10 lbs, but you're not going to notice a timeslip difference.

All of this is just my experience, of course. If you wanna do it, go for it, but I really really reccommend not doing anything permanent until you've lived with the less permanent stuff for a while.

good luck!

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

theallpowerfulmeAug-20-05 05:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#1583, "RE: Putting Serena on a diet..."
In response to Reply # 7

the "swiss cheese" method is almost always a bad idea. Save your money and buy parts to go really fast and after you have that handled start worrying about weight reduction. My bet is that in the end, you will be a lot happier with a fast, full-bodied car than with a hulled-out POS.

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

Vandy420aAug-21-05 04:32 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#1584, "RE: Putting Serena on a diet..."
In response to Reply # 8
Aug-21-05 04:33 PM by Vandy420a

not to de-rail a thread, but hey lane, whats up? I miss tennesspeed with a fierceness (also miss college)

if you're thinking about fiberglassing a sub enclosure, weight reduction is clearly not something you should be looking into. Also, fiberglassing a dash would most certainly be heavier than just plastic.

Be mindful of your weight when you go to the track, and you'll be happy with the car. If you wanna go for alternative methods for speed, spend your money on an LSD for your FWD...you'll be much happier than spending money on body panels and such. But before all that garbage, put a bigger turbo on. That will give you the most smile factor. Good luck!

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

theallpowerfulmeAug-30-05 06:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#1585, "RE: Putting Serena on a diet..."
In response to Reply # 11

Not much is up man, just been working on these fucking cars . You miss tennesspeed? You know its still up right?

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

JReynosaAug-20-05 09:34 PM
Member since Oct 15th 2003
396 posts,
#1586, "RE: Putting Serena on a diet..."
In response to Reply # 0

They sell pretty much every body panel in fiberglass. http://www.squidskins.com/eagle/index.htm

NHH223Aug-21-05 09:49 AM
161 posts,
#1587, "RE: Putting Serena on a diet..."
In response to Reply # 9

Holy Crap!!!

Here's a few questions and statements...

As far as welding the trunk well with a plate, and cutting it out, I'm never gonna sell my car, so it works for me anyways.

Weight reductions, yeah, rims are lighter, and fiberglass fenders, lighter bumpers, and CF hood will help me out.

Now, was that wing on the above link CF? Like, the Eclipse 97-99 Turbo wing in CF? Cuz I want that!!!

Also, I've been playing around with fiberglass...

I have fiberglass patch cloth which is very smooth, and very thin. Can I fiberglass my own dash board? I have an extra one kinda kicking around. Anyone near MA that can help me fiberglass stuff?

Between our rear strut towers, I want to make a sub box and amps, and have a fiberglass face, that faces outward, and make it moldeed and contoured to the shape of the space between the two towers, is that possible?

Ok, besides the basics on weight loss, I won't take out interior or anything. I don't want a ghetto daily driver that pulls 11s on the 1/4 with no A/C, P/S, stereo and speakers, or interior! LOL

Thanks guys, Nick

Hult250RAug-21-05 05:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#1588, "RE: Putting Serena on a diet..."
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by NHH223
Between our rear strut towers, I want to make a sub box and amps, and have a fiberglass face, that faces outward, and make it moldeed and contoured to the shape of the space between the two towers, is that possible? Ok, besides the basics on weight loss, I won't take out interior or anything. I don't want a ghetto daily driver that pulls 11s on the 1/4 with no A/C, P/S, stereo and speakers, or interior! LOL Thanks guys, Nick

Well that statement is kinda redundant, You want weight loss but youre adding in heavy-ass subs, amp and a box?? Concentrate on motor mods to make it faster if you want even a half-ass comfortable car to drive.

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

NHH223Aug-22-05 05:00 PM
161 posts,
#1589, "RE: Putting Serena on a diet..."
In response to Reply # 12

Yea, idk, if I can cut fat here and there, then adding the stereo and fiberglass won't weigh me down, right? It's bascially stayiung neutral and not GAINING weight, correct?

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1575 Previous topic | Next topic