Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #13132
View in linear mode

Subject: "starter and loud grinding noise?" Previous topic | Next topic
spooled420Dec-26-09 03:26 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2007
204 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13132, "starter and loud grinding noise?"
Dec-26-09 03:28 AM by spooled420

My friend recently had a issue with his starter on his 95 tsi when he goes and tries to start it it makes this terrable grinding/knocking noise like metal to metal grinding and clunking and had replaced the starter and its still making the same terrable noise,We checked the flywheel and the teeth are ok tried cranking the starter not bolted in and the bendix comes out and everything seems normal? anyone think shimming it might help?I'm maybe thinking there a bad contact with the bendix and flywheel It only happens when he cranks it then the car runs smooth after it gets past the starting issue anyone have this issue or have any insight?Thank you.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-27-09 05:54 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13133, "RE: starter and loud grinding noise?"
In response to Reply # 0

shimming wont help.....wrong design.

sounds like issue with flywheel/starter plate

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

sjackson39Jan-30-10 12:27 AM
Member since Jan 29th 2010
1 posts,
#13143, "RE: starter and loud grinding noise?"
In response to Reply # 0

I am having this same problem any help would be appreciated. I also have replaced starters and still nothing idk what's going on.

TguyApr-01-10 04:37 PM
Member since Apr 01st 2010
21 posts,
#13162, "RE: starter and loud grinding noise?"
In response to Reply # 0

more likely water pump = grinding noise. starter only makes sound when car is turned on.

valdeelricoApr-29-10 07:35 PM
Member since Mar 06th 2009
41 posts,
#13166, "RE: starter and loud grinding noise?"
In response to Reply # 0

Could you post a video or link a video for us to hear the noise?

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #13132 Previous topic | Next topic