Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11961
View in linear mode

Subject: "Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice" Previous topic | Next topic
MoreBoostJan-22-04 09:12 AM
Member since Feb 03rd 2002
147 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11961, "Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"

Well I took my FP Green turbo off my GST and put back my big 16g because I scored big on getting my Uncles 94 GSX with only 67k haha and Ill put it on that.

Well anyway I just got my some HKS Cams 264 Intake/272 Exhaust I was wondering how much top end will I'll noticed

Big 16g ported/Clipped @19psi
Big Greddy FMIC
Ported manifold/02 housing
Quaife LSD
Rebuild Tranny
3 inch turbo back N1
HKS Cams 264 Intake/272 Exhaust combo
SAFC
2600 ACT
Lighten Flywheel
K&N FIPK
Profec-B
Fuel Pump 190
660's injectors
Tokico's
Eibach Springs
Front/Rear Struts
Magnecore wires/NGK plugs
dont remember anything else, maybe that's it

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, Remy, Jan-22-04 09:23 AM, #1
RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, MoreBoost, Jan-22-04 09:27 AM, #2
      RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, HybriDSM, Jan-22-04 11:26 AM, #3
           RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-22-04 01:19 PM, #4
                RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, MoreBoost, Jan-22-04 07:46 PM, #5
                RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, Remy, Jan-23-04 03:15 AM, #6
                     RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, HybriDSM, Jan-23-04 05:29 AM, #7
                          RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, Remy, Jan-23-04 07:18 AM, #8
                               RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, icedout, Jan-24-04 01:21 PM, #9
                                    RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, MoreBoost, Jan-25-04 11:54 AM, #10
                                         RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, Diceman19, Jan-25-04 12:46 PM, #11
                                              RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, HybriDSM, Jan-25-04 01:14 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-25-04 01:26 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, HybriDSM, Jan-25-04 01:34 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-25-04 02:14 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, HybriDSM, Jan-25-04 03:14 PM, #16
                                                                       RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, MoreBoost, Jan-27-04 08:00 PM, #17
                                                                       RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-28-04 06:29 PM, #18
                                                                            RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice, HybriDSM, Jan-28-04 06:46 PM, #19

RemyJan-22-04 09:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11962, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 0

Big from what I hear. I'll have to wait a few more months myself.

MetalJimbo: Don't matter how ugly you are - all the girls love you in the titty bar

Member # 333

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MoreBoostJan-22-04 09:27 AM
147 posts,
#11963, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 1

Really! man I can't wait, was suppose to install it with my homies but I dont have time cuz of school and work so I had Roadrace install it.

HybriDSMJan-22-04 11:26 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#11964, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 2

Gains will be quite noticable. Let us know how it goes. I'll be getting 272/272 when I get my engine rebuilt in two months.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

TeamJeff_99gsJan-22-04 01:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#11965, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 3

See if you can trade the 264 for a 272. You will be happy with the results

MoreBoostJan-22-04 07:46 PM
147 posts,
#11966, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 4

Awe man now Im feeling all bum about it, because they already installed everything I'm picking it up tomorrow. Dang I wanted mad top end what was I thinking.

RemyJan-23-04 03:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#11967, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
See if you can trade the 264 for a 272. You will be happy with the results

Whats the diffrence betweem the 264 and the 272 ? I see alot of people opt for the 272 .

ajna st4r: how much would that suck
ajna st4r: black... and like 5inches
ajna st4r: you got JIPPED

Member # 333

HybriDSMJan-23-04 05:29 AM
2407 posts,
#11968, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 6
Jan-23-04 05:31 AM by HybriDSM

^^^^ RRE says 264/272 is the most commonly used setup, but since 264 and 272 are the same price, some people just go for the 272/272 setup cause it gives a huge gain in top end power, as the 272's (both intake and exhaust) keep the intake and exhaust valves open for a longer time. RRE even says that for the money, 264/264 doesn't give enough of a power gain to validate the purchase.

Both cause a lumpy idle, but the 272's generally cause a much more tempermental idle and a less "streetable ride" (some people claim that they cause failed emissions, while others have passed no problem with them in), but they do maximize air/fuel intake and exhaust release on the combustion stroke which is hot for racing. Like I said above, I'll be going 272/272 after my engine rebuild because comfortable streetability isn't my number one priority. Plus they sound sick for the ricer in all of us

Want even more great info on how cams work and a review of Web, HKS, and Crower cams? Go here:
http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=56156

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

RemyJan-23-04 07:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#11969, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 7

Thx for clearing that up

ajna st4r: how much would that suck
ajna st4r: black... and like 5inches
ajna st4r: you got JIPPED

Member # 333

icedoutJan-24-04 01:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3139 posts,
#11970, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 8

i'll probably be getting 272 for the evo especially since the flash can make it idle like normal but you will have the power....272 with no idle problems..... gotta luv the evo's flash

2006 WW IX MR
2003 BBY EVO VIII (sold)
256.9WHP & 277.9torque
http://s90395832.onlinehome.us/forum//index.php?sid=a70942a7f65043e6c873e12dcd300692

1998 Eclipse RS --show car--

MoreBoostJan-25-04 11:54 AM
147 posts,
#11971, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 9

I got my car already and yeah I feel a lot of difference after 42k but Im having problem tuning my car, I'm getting a lot of miss fires and if I lean it too much I get some vibrations. I changed my plugs that helped a lot, but still not tune perfectly. To add to that my laptop crashed so I can't tune it myself.

I want to take my car to a dyno and tune it their, but the place that I usually take it to closed down and I dont know a place that I can trust.

Anyone know a shop that has a dyno around Southern California?

Diceman19Jan-25-04 12:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#11972, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 10

would you fail emissions because of your idle being bad? or is it ok.

HybriDSMJan-25-04 01:14 PM
2407 posts,
#11973, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 11

Some people claim they fail emissions with the cams, but a majority of people say it's fine. I assume those in strict emissions states might have a problem, read California.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-25-04 01:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11974, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 12

Looks NIIIIce! You should put the fogs back on though...

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

HybriDSMJan-25-04 01:34 PM
2407 posts,
#11975, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Looks NIIIIce! You should put the fogs back on though...

Thanks Tony. Unfortunately that Pic was taken two days before last years shootout, and I just haven't gotten a chance to put it up for some reason 'til now. Oh and the fog lights will no doubt be back on the car when it's up and running. It was so nice to ahev that car looking like that even for a few days. I can't wait for my engine and tranny rebuild.

TeamJeff_99gsJan-25-04 02:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#11976, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 14

Maybe you should get some new ones though. 210,000 mile fog lights aren't the prettiest things. Plus the one is pretty much toast anyway.

HybriDSMJan-25-04 03:14 PM
2407 posts,
#11977, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
Maybe you should get some new ones though. 210,000 mile fog lights aren't the prettiest things. Plus the one is pretty much toast anyway.

But the busted up, beaten up stock parts are part of the GSX's charm. If I started replacing everything that was stock, I'd feel like I was betraying a loved one

Actually you are right. I'll have to raid some auto recycler yards for some fog lights. Damn, the more I think about getting my car going again the more unbelievably excited I get about it and the Shootout.

MoreBoostJan-27-04 08:00 PM
147 posts,
#11978, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 16

Well I couldn't get my car tune by XS Engineering they are booked, So I went back to RoadRace and I saw Roy (The owner of the Silver Eclipse that was on the cover of Sports Compact Car and won 2nd overall in the USCC 3) Well anyway after all of that my car really pulls on the top, he told me I need some real brakes. Well I'm buying his stock brakes on his GSX for 200 its better than my GST. I can't wait to race this baby

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-28-04 06:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11979, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by HybriDSM
But the busted up, beaten up stock parts are part of the GSX's charm.

HA HA! My car is more charming than yours! (on the outside anyway...):P

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

HybriDSMJan-28-04 06:46 PM
2407 posts,
#11980, "RE: Getting new cams installed how much of a difference will I notice"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by HybriDSM But the busted up, beaten up stock parts are part of the GSX's charm.
HA HA! My car is more charming than yours! (on the outside anyway...):P

My charm is different and more rugged. I'm the marlboro man and you're Justin Timberlake

Well something like that. And in it's current state, my car has no charm on the inside. There's nothing there.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11961 Previous topic | Next topic