Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11891
View in linear mode

Subject: "I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratoreclipzGSTFeb-03-04 12:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11891, "I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
Feb-03-04 12:26 PM by eclipzGST

first of all, I'm going to be getting a new turbo for my 2G GST which is A/T so I want something that spools quick with minimal fuss so I decided to go with a T-28. I'll probably go with a SBR model which comes ported for $799.

Anyone have any other recommendations?

I also noticed they have O2 housing that dump out of the DP. What is the advantage of this? Here is a pic:

looks pretty cool if anything!
thanks.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G, ModeratoreclipzGST, Feb-03-04 04:37 PM, #1
RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G, chrysler kid, Feb-03-04 04:42 PM, #2
      RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G, ModeratoreclipzGST, Feb-03-04 04:57 PM, #3
           RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G, chrysler kid, Feb-03-04 05:07 PM, #4
                RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G, TeamJeff_99gs, Feb-03-04 05:59 PM, #5
                     RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G, ModeratoreclipzGST, Feb-03-04 06:16 PM, #6
                          RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G, chrysler kid, Feb-03-04 06:19 PM, #7
                               RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G, HybriDSM, Feb-03-04 07:13 PM, #8
                               RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G, ModeratoreclipzGST, Feb-03-04 08:25 PM, #9
                                    RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G, Diceman19, Feb-04-04 02:50 AM, #10
                                         RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G, Vandy420a, Feb-04-04 05:47 AM, #11
                                              RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G, Diceman19, Feb-04-04 06:00 AM, #12
                                                   RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G, HybriDSM, Feb-04-04 07:39 AM, #13
                                                        RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G, Vandy420a, Feb-05-04 03:26 AM, #14
                                                             RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G, Diceman19, Feb-05-04 08:19 AM, #15
                                                                  new questions..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Feb-06-04 02:25 PM, #16
                                                                       RE: new questions..., TeamJeff_99gs, Feb-10-04 09:54 AM, #17
                                                                            RE: new questions..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Feb-10-04 02:05 PM, #18

ModeratoreclipzGSTFeb-03-04 04:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11892, "RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
In response to Reply # 0

oops, mis-worded it. The o2 housing has an atmospheric dump. So, it "dumps outside the DP."

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

chrysler kidFeb-03-04 04:42 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#11893, "RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
In response to Reply # 1
Feb-03-04 04:46 PM by chrysler kid

could i see a pic of that 02 dump?

t28 is not that great i would just get a evo16g because there wouldnt be lag between shifts anyways and you can brake boost from a roll (with an auto) ill take an assumption and say the tb stays open when the autotranny shifts and the torque converter takes that extra jolt away. so you dont have to "re-boost" after every shift.

11.65 @ 115

ModeratoreclipzGSTFeb-03-04 04:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11894, "RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
In response to Reply # 2

hmmm... I posted pics of it above but it seems that SBR's site is down.
I was also thinking bout the EVO 16G but the T-28 will give me almost the same power, spool quicker and go on ALOT faster.
I won't be buying anything till spring anyway so I have awhile to ponder it.

chrysler kidFeb-03-04 05:07 PM
7411 posts,
#11895, "RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
In response to Reply # 3
Feb-03-04 05:08 PM by chrysler kid

well the rre kit is like $200 and the turbo itself is like $599 so thats $799 right there and youll be getting new lower ic piping and a turbo that flows more cfm and is capable of more power

spool difference is only gonna be atmost a couple hundred rpm

how much does that 2 dump cost and what does it claim as performance gains?

11.65 @ 115

TeamJeff_99gsFeb-03-04 05:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#11896, "RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
In response to Reply # 4

For the first time in my life I agree with CK. I would go with the Evo 16G. The regular Big 16G spooled extremely fast on Jon's Auto Talon and made tons of power. (enough for 12.0 timeslips).

Just remember the dunrite shift kit and end clutch kit.

ModeratoreclipzGSTFeb-03-04 06:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11897, "RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
In response to Reply # 5

ok, so now what about the advantages/disadvantages of the o2 dumping to the atmos or routed back to exaust?

chrysler kidFeb-03-04 06:19 PM
7411 posts,
#11898, "RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
In response to Reply # 6

less back pressure. i assume you would get like 2-5 hp at most but it would sound like you had an external wastegate. basically gives less back pressure so the gasses can escape faster.

ive learned alot since i bought my car.

really there is no good reason to buy a t28. it cost alot more, its less efficient, and the only reason it has a bottom end is because it has no top end. get the evo 16g

11.65 @ 115

HybriDSMFeb-03-04 07:13 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#11899, "RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
In response to Reply # 7

External dump = less back pressure, just as CK said. I guess it's comparable to no exhaust. Under heavy load, the gas just dumps out to the atmosphere, but under light load you can use that nice emissions/noise friendly exhaust that the government makes you use.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

ModeratoreclipzGSTFeb-03-04 08:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11900, "RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by chrysler kid
the only reason it has a bottom end is because it has no top end. get the evo 16g

It seems to be unanimous. I've also recieved a few emails from the NEDSM guys telling me pretty much the same thing.
Are there any other disadvantages to using the external dump besides noise. Noise is really the least of my concerns. It's not like I'm going to drive around hitting full boost in front of the popo.

Diceman19Feb-04-04 02:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#11901, "RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
In response to Reply # 9

i dont believe so. i think it also helps with boost creep. . i am getting it because i want to be obnoxiously loud. :-D

Vandy420aFeb-04-04 05:47 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#11902, "RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
In response to Reply # 10

I would think that would only make boost creep worse, considering a 3inch turboback is more prone to boost creep than a stock exhaust, but that may be because the route the wastegate gasses take is much slower than that of through the turbo....

i honestly have no idea though..

vandy

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Diceman19Feb-04-04 06:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#11903, "RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
In response to Reply # 11

yep. since you are dumping to atmos, the gas can escape quicker which will help the turbo stay within your limit(set by the bcs or a controller). it also helps you spool quicker. dont know how, but many have said it does. i have been on tuners when looking for info on the atmos dump. everyone there liked it, cept some didnt like the noise. what brand is that one in the pic?

HybriDSMFeb-04-04 07:39 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#11904, "RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
In response to Reply # 12

The Pic is slowboy. I have a VP O2 plate, and love it. They both are very similar except for the shape of the dump tube. Mine is curved, to avoid the DP.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Vandy420aFeb-05-04 03:26 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#11905, "RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
In response to Reply # 13

yeah has anyone used this setup? I'm worried that the exhaust gasses aren't gonna be far enough away from important stuff, like vac hoses to the wastegate, for example. Anyone have any probs with this kinda thing?

Vandy

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Diceman19Feb-05-04 08:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#11906, "RE: I got a couple questions about upgrades for my 2G"
In response to Reply # 14

i can tell you in the spring time. i am getting the VP 02 housing with dump to atmos, with a 3" ATR DP and catback.

ModeratoreclipzGSTFeb-06-04 02:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11907, "new questions..."
In response to Reply # 15

So after consulting with you guys and the NEDSM crew, I'm going to be going with the EVOIII 16G.
Would it be safe to run this with my stock 450's and a FP rewire or will I HAVE to step up to 550's.
If 550's are a NECESSITY, will I have to get a new fuel pump right away or can I get away with a rewired stocker.
I realize the amount of boost I run will be limited either way...
This will only be temporary either way since I eventually plan on getting bigger injectors and a new fuel pump.
Also, I was poking around on VFAQ and saw a writeup under the fuel section about replacing the stock fuel line to open it up. It also said that when opened up, they could run 660's with the stock rewired pump.
Has anyone on here done this or got to a point where they had to? I asked on NEDSM and they basically just said to get a new pump and be done with it but if the stock pump isn't maxxed out yet and the line is the bottleneck, why not replace the line and do the pump when it HAS to be done?

TeamJeff_99gsFeb-10-04 09:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#11908, "RE: new questions..."
In response to Reply # 16

Tony you need to at LEAST get a rewired Walbro 255. Not the high pressure one. A 16G needs more fuel. My friend Jon was stuck in the mid 13s on a rewired walbro until he got his 660 injectors. He installed those and dropped to low 12s over night. (all on an RRE Big 16G).

At the least spend the $105 for the pump. Injectors would be extremely wise though too. 650s are the same price as 550s, so go for those instead.

ModeratoreclipzGSTFeb-10-04 02:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11909, "RE: new questions..."
In response to Reply # 17

:thumbsup

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11891 Previous topic | Next topic