Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1186
View in linear mode

Subject: "new and thinking" Previous topic | Next topic
DSMxCutieSep-27-05 04:58 PM
Member since Sep 27th 2005
21 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1186, "new and thinking"

Well, im new. Im a girl, so i hope you all dont hate me for it. Anyways, my X-bf was really into cars and "rice burners" and he got me into them. Ive been thinking about my first car, and how i wanted to get a spyder eclipse. I know some stuff about cars, and getting them to go fast and stuff, but i want to know more. If i get an eclipse, i want it to go fast. I was also thinking about a GSX, but i dont know. So if anyone could give me like a little info on stuff you can do to a spyder that would be nice

thanks
-Samm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: new and thinking, ScreaminE, Sep-27-05 06:12 PM, #1
RE: new and thinking, ModeratoreclipzGST, Sep-27-05 06:48 PM, #2
RE: new and thinking, 97eclipse97, Sep-28-05 08:18 AM, #3
      RE: new and thinking, ModeratoreclipzGST, Sep-28-05 04:26 PM, #6
RE: new and thinking, DSMxCutie, Sep-28-05 12:55 PM, #4
      RE: new and thinking, Vandy420a, Sep-28-05 02:19 PM, #5
           RE: new and thinking, amljbs, Sep-28-05 04:30 PM, #7
                RE: new and thinking, ModeratoreclipzGST, Sep-28-05 07:28 PM, #8
                     RE: new and thinking, 97eclipse97, Sep-29-05 03:40 AM, #9
                          RE: new and thinking, destruckeclipse, Sep-29-05 05:07 AM, #10
                          RE: new and thinking, CustomGS, Sep-29-05 06:29 AM, #11
                          RE: new and thinking, EclipseTical, Sep-29-05 11:09 AM, #12
                               RE: new and thinking, 97eclipse97, Sep-29-05 06:21 PM, #13
                                    RE: new and thinking, ModeratoreclipzGST, Sep-29-05 07:34 PM, #14
                                         RE: new and thinking, TeamJeff_99gs, Oct-03-05 10:18 AM, #15
RE: new and thinking, NHH223, Oct-22-05 06:22 PM, #16
RE: new and thinking, DSMxCutie, Oct-22-05 06:31 PM, #17
      RE: new and thinking, FlyinEsi, Oct-22-05 06:45 PM, #18
           RE: new and thinking, DSMxCutie, Oct-22-05 06:48 PM, #19

ScreaminESep-27-05 06:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
815 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1187, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 0

Well I want to be the first to welcome you to 2gnt. Well basically you have two options when it comes to the Spyder. There is the turbo model (GS-T sypder) which has the same powerplant as the GSX which is the 2.0 dual overhead cam 4g63 turbo. But you also have the option of spending a little less cash and getting the non turbo spyder (GS spyder) which has the 4g64 which is a 2.4 single overhead cam non turbo. If you are going to spend the cash on an eclipse spyder. You should go ahead and get the turbo GS-T spyder. You'll be happy in the long run. Trust me!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-27-05 06:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1188, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-27-05 08:21 PM by eclipzGST

I'll be the 2nd to welcome you and the first to suggest you bookmark this page: http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=search&select_forum=17

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

97eclipse97Sep-28-05 08:18 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#1189, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 2

HI, and welcome to the club. As to what you want, if you want fast, don't waste your time with a non turbo Eclipse. Definitly go right to the 4g63T. As far as between a Spyder and a GSX, if you are looking for a drag car that you will run up at Epping, NH, then you would definitly want a GSX. Not too mention AWD is great for the winter as well. However, if you want to be racing kids on the highway (not recommended of course!), then the FWD is definitly not a bad choice. Of course, there have been a number of people who have done AWD swaps on the Spyders, if you so desire. Hope this helps at all.

Also, I see you are from MA, so definitly check out http://newengdsm.org/forums/index.php

Just read up on everything, and of course feel free to ask questions. (NEDSM has a Newbie forum good for basic questions.)

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-28-05 04:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1190, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by 97eclipse97 Also, I see you are from MA,

Definetly check out NEDSM's site and in case you didn't know, Import Wars is almost upon us. Hope to see you all Oct. 8th!

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

DSMxCutieSep-28-05 12:55 PM
21 posts,
#1191, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 1

well thank you.

Yeah, i want a turbo basically, but im not completely sure. Im not exactly good with 5 speed, and im getting my license soon, but i want to know what to expect when I get my car. my x bf(nhh223) got me into cars, so i know a few things, but if i do get a turbo, do they have them in automatic, until i learn 5spd. I know Nick(nhh223) knows how to do the tranny so i can have auto, but who knows if he will.
Thank you for the advice. Im gonna start looking around, and hopefully get what I want.
-Samm

Vandy420aSep-28-05 02:19 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#1192, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 4

is this your first car? If so what i'd honestly do is buy manual non-turbo (spyder if you want) b/c you'll probably do something, or many things, dumb with it. Its not your fault, we've all been there, myself included. After you're more comfortable, sell the NT and buy a manual GSX or spyder, depending if you want speed or a convertible more.

Personally, I think a turbo DSM is WAYYY too much power for a starter car, esp. one that's been lightly modded.

just my .02 though, if you still have questions about the GSX/Spyder and mods i'm more than happy to help. Most of us on this site have owned multiple DSMs.

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

amljbsSep-28-05 04:30 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#1193, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Vandy420a
is this your first car? If so what i'd honestly do is buy manual non-turbo (spyder if you want) b/c you'll probably do something, or many things, dumb with it. Its not your fault, we've all been there, myself included. After you're more comfortable, sell the NT and buy a manual GSX or spyder, depending if you want speed or a convertible more. Personally, I think a turbo DSM is WAYYY too much power for a starter car, esp. one that's been lightly modded. just my .02 though, if you still have questions about the GSX/Spyder and mods i'm more than happy to help. Most of us on this site have owned multiple DSMs.

agreed. The turbo DSM does have quite a bit of power for a first car. Although fun to drive an inexperienced driver could easily lose controll of it. Not to mention if your under twenty insurance is going to kill you especially with a convertible. In the eyes of the car insurance company that would be like signing up for life insurance with a grenade strapped around your neck. If its your first car get an NT eclipse( youll fall in love with the cars). Once you are more experienced then go for the GSX or Spyder GST.

1998 Eclipse GST

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-28-05 07:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1194, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 7

A stock 2G doesn't have that much power. If you go with a GSX, it'll be much more controlled after a few mods. Can anyone say torque steer?

97eclipse97Sep-29-05 03:40 AM
695 posts,
#1195, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by eclipzGST
A stock 2G doesn't have that much power. If you go with a GSX, it'll be much more controlled after a few mods. Can anyone say torque steer?

Torque Steer!!

I agree that as long as you keep it stock for a while, and don't redline every gear, a GSX wouldn't be bad at all. But again with the insurance thing...They don't seem to like kids having the 'top of the line' Eclipse...

destruckeclipseSep-29-05 05:07 AM
Member since Apr 26th 2004
576 posts,
#1196, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 9

And if you want theft protection and shit

I had a NT for 1 1/2 a year and I got a better rate on my gsx then most, but I bought a slighly modded one, and I must say the thing scares me on freeway on-ramps. I'm use to flooring it with the NT to get up to speed, heh.

'95 GSX - Big16G ~ Leaks, but atleast it runs.

CustomGSSep-29-05 06:29 AM
Member since Jul 15th 2004
668 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1197, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 10

We're so much easier on females.lol If it wasnt a girl and had the word cutie in her name, She would have got burned.

Oh yeah welcome to the site! and SEARCH.

I definitely agree with going with the 4g63t spyder(gst). You will be very limited on upgrade options with the 4g64. Not to mention its a Terd.

Chris
---------------------------------------

98 Eclipse GS 5 spd- sold
95 Camaro Z28
64.5 Mustang 302 3spd

Originally posted by DR1665
Sometimes, you don't need to pull away to win. You just need to show them they have nowhere to run.

Originally posted by Nine5eclipse03
No, but one time i tried to pee over a car, and pooped my pants.

EclipseTicalSep-29-05 11:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
648 posts,
#1198, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 9
Sep-29-05 11:13 AM by EclipseTical

Originally posted by 97eclipse97
Originally posted by eclipzGST A stock 2G doesn't have that much power. If you go with a GSX, it'll be much more controlled after a few mods. Can anyone say torque steer?
Torque Steer!! I agree that as long as you keep it stock for a while, and don't redline every gear, a GSX wouldn't be bad at all. But again with the insurance thing...They don't seem to like kids having the 'top of the line' Eclipse...

AWD gets a discount lol.
then again I'm 25 w/ flawless driving record
GSx would be fine if you respect the car and don't redline every gear. But they do accelerate like a champ so if you've never driven a car before i'd be real careful until you get the hang of it. Huge diff from FWD.

~Sean

99 GSX
97 RS--SOLD

97eclipse97Sep-29-05 06:21 PM
695 posts,
#1199, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by EclipseTical
Originally posted by 97eclipse97
Originally posted by eclipzGST A stock 2G doesn't have that much power. If you go with a GSX, it'll be much more controlled after a few mods. Can anyone say torque steer?
Torque Steer!! I agree that as long as you keep it stock for a while, and don't redline every gear, a GSX wouldn't be bad at all. But again with the insurance thing...They don't seem to like kids having the 'top of the line' Eclipse...
AWD gets a discount lol. then again I'm 25 w/ flawless driving record GSx would be fine if you respect the car and don't redline every gear. But they do accelerate like a champ so if you've never driven a car before i'd be real careful until you get the hang of it. Huge diff from FWD.

I was quoted a higher price for a GSX than a GST....

Oh and my AWD Talon is less than my GSX...Silly Eagle

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-29-05 07:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1200, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 13

When I put my 1G on the road, it actually made my insurance go down as a total. It was $300 a year for the talon but it made my eclipse price drop $500.

TeamJeff_99gsOct-03-05 10:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#1201, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 14

I am selling a 1997 Eclipse GS-T Spyder. PM me if interested.

http://www.fullyspooled.com/spyder/spyderforsale.html

NHH223Oct-22-05 06:22 PM
Member since Apr 20th 2004
161 posts,
#1202, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 0

If you want my POS GS-T that you help installed the BOV on, and also kicked a few times, I'll let it go cheap for you. Granted I fix all the little things wrong with it first. Might not need this car within the next month, due to the arrival of a new baby... 1st Gen 6G72TT anyone?

'95 Copper GS-T "Serena" Stage 3 CM Clutch w/alumin flywheel, Injen Intake, Apex'i I/C pipes + Twin Chamber BOV, Defi D-Series Boost + A/F gauges...pushing 17psi!

DSMxCutieOct-22-05 06:31 PM
21 posts,
#1203, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 16

what are u talking about kid. why would u sell me ya car.. that things to sick

FlyinEsiOct-22-05 06:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#1204, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 17

haha, good girl. Any luck finding anything yet?

DSMxCutieOct-22-05 06:48 PM
21 posts,
#1205, "RE: new and thinking"
In response to Reply # 18

noo, but im kinda waiting till the winter...i think someone told me they were cheaper then, but i dunno. its a toss up right now. plus im saving for it myself, so i dont know when ill have money
-Samm

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1186 Previous topic | Next topic