Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11599
View in linear mode

Subject: "My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!" Previous topic | Next topic
anotherblitzedeclipseMar-12-04 07:12 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2003
34 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11599, "My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!"

My 1 month old (in my possesion) GST croaked. I was driving it and I noticed a tapping/knocking sound. It was coming from the longblock somewhere. I took the valve cover off and all the lifters looked in place and in working order. So I decided to just drive it home with the tapping. Well it got worse and then it started effecting the performance. It wouldn't go over 50mph. The tapping got really loud and more frequent. Then it choked and died. It would start back up, but it sounded like a diesel tractor. There is plenty of oil in it but it has no radiator fluid and it hasn't been holding it that great lately. It started getting hot after I killed the engine. What could be wrong???

To top off this nightmare, I had to leave it on the side of the road, and overnight somebody smashed in the passenger window and stole my boost guage, my intake along with my MAS, my msd igntion, and my cd player along with my cd's.

I beat an IS300!!!

mods: custom CAI, pacesetter header, MSD ignition, unothodox udp, polyurethane motormounts, egr blockoff plate, ngk iridiums + wires, Greddy evo catback, ported intake manifold.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!, Remy, Mar-12-04 07:30 PM, #1
RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!, anotherblitzedeclipse, Mar-13-04 04:55 AM, #2
      RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!, Diceman19, Mar-13-04 06:30 AM, #3
           RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!, Hult250R, Mar-13-04 07:49 AM, #4
                RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!, scottfreeman80, Mar-13-04 11:13 AM, #5
                     RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!, chaye, Mar-14-04 11:19 PM, #6
                          RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!, The1Bill, Mar-15-04 10:13 AM, #7
                               RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-15-04 12:24 PM, #8
                                    RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!, anotherblitzedeclipse, Mar-15-04 01:59 PM, #9
                                         RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-15-04 02:29 PM, #10
                                              RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!, chaye, Mar-16-04 12:10 AM, #11
                                                   RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!, Remy, Mar-16-04 05:34 AM, #12

RemyMar-12-04 07:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11600, "RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-12-04 07:31 PM by Remy

Sounds like your motor seized. You might have over heated it not having any fluid inside of it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

anotherblitzedeclipseMar-13-04 04:55 AM
34 posts,
#11601, "RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!"
In response to Reply # 1

I have to fill up the radiator fluid once every two weeks it seems. It didn't get hot before it started ticking and it had plenty of fluid in it.

I beat an IS300!!!

mods: custom CAI, pacesetter header, MSD ignition, unothodox udp, polyurethane motormounts, egr blockoff plate, ngk iridiums + wires, Greddy evo catback, ported intake manifold.

Diceman19Mar-13-04 06:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#11602, "RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!"
In response to Reply # 2

first step, tow it home cuz it aint gonna drive with no ignition system and no mas

second step, rip it apart and figure out what is wrong so you can sue the people you bought it from for the damages.

Hult250RMar-13-04 07:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#11603, "RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!"
In response to Reply # 3

Could be a blown headgasket
thats what my 1G NT did when the HG went...

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

scottfreeman80Mar-13-04 11:13 AM
Member since Nov 13th 2002
88 posts,
#11604, "RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!"
In response to Reply # 4

sounds like a blown rod bearing to me. Take the oil pan off and look at the damage. Same thing happened to me about 3 months ago. i was forced to buy a 6-bolt

1995 GST
6-bolt JDM swap
Evo 16G port/polish
28x7.5x3.5 FMIC (had to cut bumper to make it fit)
686 Injectors
Walbro 255-HP
ACT 2600 Clutch
Full 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust
RamCharge MAF Translator w/ upgrade chip
RRE Front/Rear Strut Bar
Eibach Pro-Kit
NGK Plugs/Wires
Crushed 1g BOV vented to atmosphere
Apexi SAFC
Powerslot Rotors
Autometer Phantom A/F, Boost, EGT
Redline Synthetic M.T.F.
2g Manifold ported w/ ported 02 housing
K&N Custom Cold Air Intake
Apexi Turbo Timer
Joe P MBC @ 19p.s.i.

chayeMar-14-04 11:19 PM
Member since Apr 28th 2002
420 posts,
#11605, "RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!"
In response to Reply # 5

check the timing marks on the cams and crank. I had the same issue and my timing belt skiped so many teeth that i vent bout 4 valves, one had half ot it missing and another was gone...
mine also bucked like crazy and drove it home but it too sounded like a diesel and it died at my driveway...
check that and go from there..

sorry bout them fugger stealing your stuff but what are u going to do...damn it damn it

The1BillMar-15-04 10:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#11606, "RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!"
In response to Reply # 6

Isn't the coolant temp sensor above the head? If so, you could have been overheating and not known it.

-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-15-04 12:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11607, "RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!"
In response to Reply # 7
Mar-15-04 12:26 PM by eclipzGST

Originally posted by The1Bill
Isn't the coolant temp sensor above the head? If so, you could have been overheating and not known it. -=B-=

Kind of even. Maybe on the low side.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

anotherblitzedeclipseMar-15-04 01:59 PM
34 posts,
#11608, "RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!"
In response to Reply # 8

I spun a rod bearing, Im going to buy a 1g block.
What is involved about putting 2g pistons in the 1g block, besides boring it .20 over?

As far as the theft, I dont have a receipt for the parts so all I could really claim is my window, and with a $500 deductible, theres no point.

Thanks for the tips though.

I beat an IS300!!!

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-15-04 02:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11609, "RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by anotherblitzedeclipse
I spun a rod bearing, Im going to buy a 1g block. What is involved about putting 2g pistons in the 1g block, besides boring it .20 over? As far as the theft, I dont have a receipt for the parts so all I could really claim is my window, and with a $500 deductible, theres no point. Thanks for the tips though.

you have to have the rods modded by a machine shop because the wrist pins are a different size.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

chayeMar-16-04 12:10 AM
Member since Apr 28th 2002
420 posts,
#11610, "RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!"
In response to Reply # 10

22mm on the 2g
21mm on the 1g
the wrist pin...they charged me 45 bucks to do it at the machine shop i had mine done..
BTW i think your going to need dsmlink and well why dont you just do the whole 6bolt swap. I mean you are going to have to do the modifications to your engine already, the head is just a drop in item once you fitted the 1g block...
good luck

RemyMar-16-04 05:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#11611, "RE: My new GST croaked!!! Help me diagnose please!"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by chaye
I mean you are going to have to do the modifications to your engine already, the head is just a drop in item once you fitted the 1g block... good luck

yes I agree.The 1g head is supposed to flow better plus the TB and Intake Mani are 60mm.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11599 Previous topic | Next topic