Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #10964
View in linear mode

Subject: "Engine Swap..." Previous topic | Next topic
98SpyderMay-05-04 03:28 AM
Member since Apr 21st 2004
18 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10964, "Engine Swap..."

Alright. I decided I'm gonna do the full swap from the 4g64 to a 4g63t. I recently found a 90 Talon TSi AWD that I can pick up. Brand new ECU and the motor was redone about 45K miles ago. Turbo was also replaced around the same time. The only thing is I heard that the 90 Talons had reliability issues. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Would this be a good motor to swap or should I find a 2g 63t?

Another question concerning the AWD(Since I have an entire donor car) would that be a possible switch or would I need a new suspension setup?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Engine Swap..., TeamJeff_99gs, May-05-04 04:35 AM, #1
RE: Engine Swap..., 98Spyder, May-05-04 04:43 AM, #2
      RE: Engine Swap..., chrysler kid, May-05-04 06:51 AM, #3
           RE: Engine Swap..., Vandy420a, May-05-04 07:42 AM, #4
                RE: Engine Swap..., Matt_95tgs, May-05-04 07:53 AM, #5
                     RE: Engine Swap..., 98Spyder, May-05-04 08:29 AM, #6
                          RE: Engine Swap..., Vandy420a, May-05-04 11:09 AM, #7
                          RE: Engine Swap..., TeamJeff_99gs, May-05-04 12:31 PM, #8
                          RE: Engine Swap..., 98Spyder, May-05-04 01:24 PM, #9
                               RE: Engine Swap..., 98Spyder, May-05-04 01:26 PM, #10
                          RE: Engine Swap..., Matt_95tgs, May-05-04 07:31 PM, #11
                               RE: Engine Swap..., 98Spyder, May-06-04 06:14 AM, #12
                                    RE: Engine Swap..., TeamJeff_99gs, May-06-04 08:08 PM, #13
                                         RE: Engine Swap..., 98Spyder, May-07-04 06:39 AM, #14
                                              RE: Engine Swap..., TeamJeff_99gs, May-07-04 08:00 AM, #15
                                                   RE: Engine Swap..., 98Spyder, May-07-04 08:03 AM, #16
                                                        RE: Engine Swap..., Matt_95tgs, May-08-04 08:18 AM, #17
                                                             RE: Engine Swap..., TeamJeff_99gs, May-09-04 06:02 AM, #18
                                                                  RE: Engine Swap..., HybriDSM, May-10-04 10:51 AM, #19
                                                                       RE: Engine Swap..., HybriDSM, May-11-04 04:11 AM, #20
                                                                            RE: Engine Swap..., Jay_98GSX, May-12-04 08:50 PM, #21

TeamJeff_99gsMay-05-04 04:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10965, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 0

The AWD from a 1st gen will not work on a 2g. You will need 2g parts for that.

Are you buying a perfectly good 1st gen and detroying it? That would make me very very angry.

It would be much easier for you to swap in a 2g engine. They are easy as hell to find because tons of people are swapping 1st gen blocks in their 2Gs. You can pick up a whole 2g longblock for pretty cheap these days.

You will also need the wiring harness from a 2g, ECU, motor mounts (I think), tranny, possibly axles, etc etc. It is a very involved process.

1st gen electronics will not work either. You will need a 2g ECU to make your car work.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

98SpyderMay-05-04 04:43 AM
18 posts,
#10966, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 1

I'm doing the work on a 98 Eclipse Spyder with the 4G64 NA motor. The 4G63T motor will swap right in(Unless the motor mounts from a 1G were different then the 2g same engine). Everything else will bolt right in. Shouldn't be a hard swap at all. Just wasn't sure if the 1g stuff would work.

chrysler kidMay-05-04 06:51 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#10967, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 2
May-05-04 06:52 AM by chrysler kid

your going to have a problem with the wiring. you will need to re-wire the whole car if you want to use that new 90 ecu, or you need to buy a 95+ turbo ecu. the easiest thing to do would be to swap a 7bolt engine in. you can get them for $500 for a good engine with a head(atleast where i live) i think it would be easier to find a junkyard and buy a front clip off of a 2g turbo.

11.65 @ 115

Vandy420aMay-05-04 07:42 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#10968, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 3

yeah in short, no, it would not be a good motor---you're also going to have tranny issues because jeff said the AWD components won't swap--so now you have to find a 2g FWD tranny. I'd look for a front clip....

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Matt_95tgsMay-05-04 07:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#10969, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 4

I'm wondering why you are so quick to not use the 4g64 block??

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

98SpyderMay-05-04 08:29 AM
18 posts,
#10970, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 5

From the information I collected the 4g63T motor is better balanced to handle the higher revs. That and I have access to alot of tools and manpower but no one I know could port match the heads and I'm not sure where I could even send it to have it done or how much it would cost.

Vandy420aMay-05-04 11:09 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#10971, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 6

the 4g63 isn't a bad idea, it'd just be a better idea to find one from a 2g--save alot of hassle

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

TeamJeff_99gsMay-05-04 12:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#10972, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 7

The engine mounts on the 1g engine and 2g engine are different. The 1g block has 3 mounts, leaving the tranny with one. 2G trannies have 3 mounts and the block only has 1. You will be much better off going with a 2g 7 bolt longblock and tranny, as well as the 2g ECU, wiring, etc. It is much more complex than you think it is from what I gather.

98SpyderMay-05-04 01:24 PM
18 posts,
#10973, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 7

After much internet looking, All I found for a motor is a 4G63T front clip with the motor for a 1g. I checked the junkyards in my area here and he said that kind of motor is a rare find around here. Apprently DSM's get stripped quick. (Darn parts junkies). Other then that the 90 Tason TSi AWD has been the only thing that came along. The Ideal thing I'd like is a moderatly damaged Eclipse GSX as a donor car for everything I'd like to do.(AWD would be a blast).

Just out of curiousity anybody here around the NE PA area?

98SpyderMay-05-04 01:26 PM
18 posts,
#10974, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 9

And yes I know the AWD switch is going to be a bitch and a half.

Matt_95tgsMay-05-04 07:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#10975, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by 98Spyder
From the information I collected the 4g63T motor is better balanced to handle the higher revs. That and I have access to alot of tools and manpower but no one I know could port match the heads and I'm not sure where I could even send it to have it done or how much it would cost.

A stock 4g64 won't redline as high as a 4g63, but with 0.4 more liters of displacement, it won't matter much. You'll be able to spool a turbo much quicker and have awesome torque early on. If you're that concerned about reving high, build a long rod 4g64 like my brother is doing and get the best of both worlds.

I'm not quite sure what you're refering to when you say that you need to "port match the heads." Just pick up a 1g 4g63 dohc head, a turbo manifold and a 1g intake manifold and you're set. All of that stuff is a dime a dozen at any junkyard. The only modifications you would have to make would be to plug a few coolant drain holes in the deck of the block and drill and tap the 1g cam to accept a 2g cam angle sensor (or just modify the wiring harness to accept a 1g cam angle sensor). The rest would be virtually nothing different from swaping in a 4g63t.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

98SpyderMay-06-04 06:14 AM
18 posts,
#10976, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 11

Because of the differences in the boring. The 64 motor is bored 1.5 mm larger then the 63T. The head and the block have to be port matched.

The 64 gets it's extra displacement through that 1.5 mm boring difference. If you slapped a 2.0 head on a 2.4 block the combustion chamber wouldn't be right.

TeamJeff_99gsMay-06-04 08:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#10977, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 12

There have been tons of 2.4L 4G64 swaps into DSMs with 4G63 heads. Look around

98SpyderMay-07-04 06:39 AM
18 posts,
#10978, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 13

Jeff, Will a 1G head/Turbo/ECU work for this swap? Or would I just be better off going and searching for a 2g Head? Also is the 2g head more prone to Crankwalk?

TeamJeff_99gsMay-07-04 08:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#10979, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 14

Either head will work fine. The head has nothing to do with crankwalk.

98SpyderMay-07-04 08:03 AM
18 posts,
#10980, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 15

2 more questions for you Jeff. 1: Where can I find info on what needs to be done for the head swap on a 1G head to a 2G block. And 2: Was I right that the cylander in the head has to be bored 1.5 mm to match the bottom?

Matt_95tgsMay-08-04 08:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#10981, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 16

You would never bore a cylinder head unless you were align boring the camshaft journals. You could remove some material in the dish, but I wouldn't.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS

1998 Eclipse GSX

TeamJeff_99gsMay-09-04 06:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#10982, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 17

Well when people do the swap, they typically get an older 2.4L which fits the 4G63 head easier than the 4G64 found in the 2G Spyder.

I'll let HybriDSM answer this question because he has done a lot more research on it.

HybriDSMMay-10-04 10:51 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#10983, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 18

Ok here is a link to a good thread about it. I'll post more detailed info tonight when I get home.

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=baf9cb2831dd63ab596426d8045bb740&threadid=31111&highlight=lifters

BTW the thread popped up while I was searching for something else, so that is why the word 'lifters' is highlighted.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

HybriDSMMay-11-04 04:11 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#10984, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 19

Ok after sifting through that whole thread again, this is what I think. You can get infinitely more out of that thread than you can out my my trying to pick and choose impotant things to explain from my recollection of it.

I will say this, there is no porting of the head needed to match the over sized piston bore. Most of the issues with the head and block combo is getting the right headgasket, blocking coolant passages, and also making sure you have the proper engine mounts to get the engine in the car.

Read the thread and ask any questions you may have and I'll answer those as they come up.

Also, it has been established to me so far that finding a G4CS block from an early 90's sonata is the best bet due to the least mount of modification and altering to get it running for the 2g engine bay.

Frie away and I'll answer as best I can.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Jay_98GSXMay-12-04 08:50 PM
Member since Apr 17th 2002
18 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10985, "RE: Engine Swap..."
In response to Reply # 20

No you absolutely do not need to touch the combustion chamber to match a 4g64. As for the head gasket, get one for a 4g63 if you are using a 4g63 head...think about it, you don't need oil passages through the head gasket where there are no holes on a 4g63 head for oil to pass through. If you are using a 4g63 head, a 4g63 head gasket is going to have all of the holes you need for it. The 4g64 is going to mount up just like a 2g motor, so as long as you can do one, you can do the other. If your really that worried about it...go with a 2.3...it's not like you can't squeeze enough power out of that to merit the need for a 2.4L. Even a solid 2.0 is a damn good motor so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. As for crankwalk...BLOCK THE OIL SQUIRTERS!!! Crankwalk is so overrated...people make it sound like it happens to every 2.0 7-bolt. It seriously should be about the last thing to consider when putting a motor together. As long as the squirters are blocked, the crank bearings get plenty of oil pressure and you'll be fine. BTW...I have a nearly complete 2g longblock with 60k lying around if you are interested.

Jay Jay the Jet Plane

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #10964 Previous topic | Next topic