Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #10434
View in linear mode

Subject: "Idle problems, injectors?" Previous topic | Next topic
Vandy420aJun-19-04 01:27 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10434, "Idle problems, injectors?"

Ok, so i've got everything hooked up for a 16g, and after a brief crisis with a loose oil fitting, everythings good, EXCEPT:

The car will not idle for the life of it.
Symptoms:

Regardless of how lean or rich it is, it won't idle--it just dies unless I give it ~5% throttle. I started with the RRE reccommended settings of +39 at 1k LO and no dice...leaned it out to -45 or -50 and still no dice. SAFC2 is reading everything, checked the pink/orange wires, they're good. Fuel pump is pumping, I can hear it. When its running, it emits ALOT of smoke. If I disconnect the fuel pump, though, the car will idle fine until it dies from lack of pressure.

fuel system: 255lph non HP SAFCII ND 660 injectors

I suspect its the injectors: 2 of them look different from the other 2 at the buisness (squirter) end.

The first 2's ends look exactly like these, only cleaner...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33554&item=7905339417

(scroll to middle, big pic)

the other 2 have exposed metal "disks" and look somewhat like these....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33554&item=7906095760

I know its difficult to see, but basically its like the plastic has folded away and indented up inside is the metal disk and "pintle" thingie...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

matt

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Idle problems, injectors?, chrysler kid, Jun-19-04 02:06 PM, #1
RE: Idle problems, injectors?, Vandy420a, Jun-19-04 02:58 PM, #2
      RE: Idle problems, injectors?, Vandy420a, Jun-19-04 03:15 PM, #3
           RE: Idle problems, injectors?, Hult250R, Jun-19-04 03:50 PM, #4
                RE: Idle problems, injectors?, Vandy420a, Jun-19-04 06:06 PM, #5
                     RE: Idle problems, injectors?, chrysler kid, Jun-19-04 07:43 PM, #6
                          RE: Idle problems, injectors?, Vandy420a, Jun-19-04 10:03 PM, #7
                               RE: Idle problems, injectors?, Vandy420a, Jun-20-04 07:13 AM, #8
                                    RE: Idle problems, injectors?, Vandy420a, Jun-20-04 01:37 PM, #9
                                         RE: Idle problems, injectors?, Jay_98GSX, Jun-23-04 11:03 AM, #10
                                              RE: Idle problems, injectors?, Vandy420a, Jun-23-04 11:51 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Idle problems, injectors?, Vandy420a, Jun-24-04 05:41 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Idle problems, injectors?, All4thaN0okie, Jun-24-04 01:22 PM, #13
                                                             RE: Idle problems, injectors?, Vandy420a, Jun-24-04 07:34 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: Idle problems, injectors?, HybriDSM, Jun-25-04 03:00 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: Idle problems, injectors?, Vandy420a, Jun-25-04 07:24 AM, #16
                                                                            RE: Idle problems, injectors?, HybriDSM, Jun-25-04 08:23 AM, #17

chrysler kidJun-19-04 02:06 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10435, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 0

sounds like a vaccum leak. check the j pipe and other fittings

11.65 @ 115

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Vandy420aJun-19-04 02:58 PM
2037 posts,
#10436, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 1
Jun-19-04 02:58 PM by Vandy420a

thanks! besides J-pipe, where else should I look? just re-tightened the stuff around the FPR...could it be a loose connection between the rubber connector at the end of the air intake and the turbo, or is it in the pressurized area?

also, are the injectors still ok to use?

Vandy420aJun-19-04 03:15 PM
2037 posts,
#10437, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 2

p.s. Karman hz is at like 3

Hult250RJun-19-04 03:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#10438, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Vandy420a
p.s. Karman hz is at like 3

at idle its at like 3 hz?
Its supposed to be around 30-35 i think...

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

Vandy420aJun-19-04 06:06 PM
2037 posts,
#10439, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Hult250R
Originally posted by Vandy420a p.s. Karman hz is at like 3
at idle its at like 3 hz? Its supposed to be around 30-35 i think...

what does that indicate? I"m sorry this stuff is pretty new to me, i have no idea what a karman sensor even is....has to do with Mass Air Flow, right?

chrysler kidJun-19-04 07:43 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#10440, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 5

well since you just installed the 16g check the new fittings you put on to adapt it into the cirsular flow of the intercooler, have someone rev the car and listen for a leak or get a pressure tester

11.65 @ 115

Vandy420aJun-19-04 10:03 PM
2037 posts,
#10441, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 6

yeah i'll do a boost leak test tomorrow morn and keep you posted...but any input on the injectors?

Vandy420aJun-20-04 07:13 AM
2037 posts,
#10442, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 7

just found out a friend of mine who was helping dropped 2 of them...still thinking it may be the injectors, but I can't see how dropping them broke off the two black "caps" ?

Vandy420aJun-20-04 01:37 PM
2037 posts,
#10443, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 8

no dice on the vac leak (boost leak test showed everything was sealed, checked all the hoses, couln'dt find anything)

Anyone know of a place where you can buy just 2 Denso 660's? I've looked everywhere, most sell them in 4s..(duh)

will places break them up?

Jay_98GSXJun-23-04 11:03 AM
Member since Apr 17th 2002
18 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10444, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 9

My car idled really shitty when i replaced my fuel setup and it turned out to be a bad O2 sensor. It would sputter and die if I didn't rev it a little. That would be another good thing to check.

Jay Jay the Jet Plane

Vandy420aJun-23-04 11:51 AM
2037 posts,
#10445, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 10
Jun-23-04 11:52 AM by Vandy420a

thanks! Is there a way to check an 02 sensor w/o just buying a new one?

Vandy420aJun-24-04 05:41 AM
2037 posts,
#10446, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 11

OK my car still can't idle w/new injectors from Hybrid..

The 02's are no longer cycling, though, they are just staying constant when i'm on the gas to keep it idling at about .92

The plug wires are routed correctly, can't find a vac leak anywhere, vac is reading about -300 mm/Hg (boost gauge) until I give it a little throttle to keep it from dying, then it shoots up just a bit, but still stays in vacuum (as it always does)

help!

All4thaN0okieJun-24-04 01:22 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2001
501 posts,
#10447, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 12

maf sensor plugged in???

Vandy420aJun-24-04 07:34 PM
2037 posts,
#10448, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by All4thaN0okie
maf sensor plugged in???

yeah but good call though.....I've been there before...

gonna replace the O2 sensor tomorrow---ended up getting the part locally in the hopes that I can leave MD for a month and leave the rents a running, if only partially, car so they don't have something just taking up space when i'm gone

this thing is starting to drive me crazy..

HybriDSMJun-25-04 03:00 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#10449, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by All4thaN0okie maf sensor plugged in???
yeah but good call though.....I've been there before... gonna replace the O2 sensor tomorrow---ended up getting the part locally in the hopes that I can leave MD for a month and leave the rents a running, if only partially, car so they don't have something just taking up space when i'm gone this thing is starting to drive me crazy..

Ha. Welcome to the world of DSM. It's a love hate relationship but in a good way.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Vandy420aJun-25-04 07:24 AM
2037 posts,
#10450, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 15
Jun-25-04 07:55 AM by Vandy420a

Ok now this is getting insane

New o2 sensor, now the car will idle at 400 RPM and shoot black soot/white smoke out everywhere.

Even when I leaned out the AFC to -40 it did nothing to help.
The Karman Hz are still at 3.

Still think its a vac leak? I'm out of ideas as to where the leak could be...

Edit - its pretty unlikely to detonate to the point of engine damage when you're not on boost, right? As in, should I do a compression check and see if I blew something up? The engine never saw over 2k rpm and never more than 5-10% throttle..

HybriDSMJun-25-04 08:23 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#10451, "RE: Idle problems, injectors?"
In response to Reply # 16

Ok now this is getting insane New o2 sensor, now the car will idle at 400 RPM and shoot black soot/white smoke out everywhere. Even when I leaned out the AFC to -40 it did nothing to help. The Karman Hz are still at 3. Still think its a vac leak? I'm out of ideas as to where the leak could be... Edit - its pretty unlikely to detonate to the point of engine damage when you're not on boost, right? As in, should I do a compression check and see if I blew something up? The engine never saw over 2k rpm and never more than 5-10% throttle..

Do the compression check just to make sure everything is ok there. HAve you done a leakdown test? Have you checked the MAS wiring to make sure that is working properly? It sounds like you have something very much wrong with air metering or leaking. Wish I could see it myself with Jeff cause maybe looking at it would spark some ideas.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #10434 Previous topic | Next topic