Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9737
View in linear mode

Subject: "Car keeps jumping timing" Previous topic | Next topic
sd240Sep-28-04 10:52 AM
Member since May 25th 2003
298 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9737, "Car keeps jumping timing"

My 93 talon keeps jumping timeing. I'm going to replace the timing belt and tensioner. My question is has anybody ever had a problem similar to this before, and what was the problem. I just want to make sure there isn't some simple thing that I'm overlooking.

93 Tsi AWD-SAFC I, Apexi N1 turbo back, MBC, K&N w/ hacked can,
Walbro 255, Accel wires, 650cc injectors, stage 3 dsmchip

97 Neon ACR-Stock

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Car keeps jumping timing, Vandy420a, Sep-28-04 08:56 PM, #1
RE: Car keeps jumping timing, Diceman19, Sep-28-04 10:41 PM, #2
RE: Car keeps jumping timing, thedawg, Sep-29-04 06:14 AM, #3
      RE: Car keeps jumping timing, Vandy420a, Sep-29-04 09:35 AM, #4
           RE: Car keeps jumping timing, HybriDSM, Sep-29-04 10:47 AM, #5
                RE: Car keeps jumping timing, sd240, Sep-30-04 11:34 AM, #6
                     RE: Car keeps jumping timing, sd240, Sep-30-04 11:40 AM, #7
                          RE: Car keeps jumping timing, Diceman19, Sep-30-04 04:26 PM, #8
                               RE: Car keeps jumping timing, sd240, Sep-30-04 05:36 PM, #9
                                    RE: Car keeps jumping timing, Diceman19, Sep-30-04 06:08 PM, #10
                                         RE: Car keeps jumping timing, sd240, Oct-01-04 12:26 PM, #11
                                              RE: Car keeps jumping timing, Diceman19, Oct-01-04 08:49 PM, #12
                                              RE: Car keeps jumping timing, sd240, Oct-02-04 07:37 PM, #13
                                              RE: Car keeps jumping timing, Vandy420a, Oct-04-04 07:11 AM, #14

Vandy420aSep-28-04 08:56 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9738, "RE: Car keeps jumping timing"
In response to Reply # 0

YOu should replace the timing belt on general principals, but I assure you it isn't that. If, god forbid, it is your timing belt you've already cashed the head and probably the pistons, so i really doubt its that.

Have you done the basics, like boost leakdown testing and looking for a vac leak? How does it idle?

ALso, are you running an SAFC and/or a logger? care to post a log?

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Diceman19Sep-28-04 10:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#9739, "RE: Car keeps jumping timing"
In response to Reply # 0

just to make sure, is the belt physically moving, or just the "timing" that the ecu is getting is changing?

thedawgSep-29-04 06:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#9740, "RE: Car keeps jumping timing"
In response to Reply # 2

If the timing belt is actually skipping a tooth, then you definitely need a new belt and tensioner. Possibly some new tensioner pulleys or they may need tightening. The torque procedure on those pulleys is kind of unique, I don't know if I could do it with the engine in the car.

Is the belt actually walking back and forth on the cam sprockets? Or does it just rise up and skip a tooth?

If the timing is just getting messed up, maybe the CAS on the left side of the head is loose?

Vandy420aSep-29-04 09:35 AM
2037 posts,
#9741, "RE: Car keeps jumping timing"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by thedawg
If the timing is just getting messed up, maybe the CAS on the left side of the head is loose?

probably a better bet than the belt itself..

HybriDSMSep-29-04 10:47 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#9742, "RE: Car keeps jumping timing"
In response to Reply # 4

How are you watching the timing? Logger?

It cycles through as you rev it so the number is always changing kind of like the O2's at idle. How are you viewing this problem? Or did I misread it and you are using the timing light often to check base timing?

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

sd240Sep-30-04 11:34 AM
298 posts,
#9743, "RE: Car keeps jumping timing"
In response to Reply # 5
Sep-30-04 11:35 AM by sd240

ok sorry i should have gone into more detail, but i was in a hurry. Basicaly the timing has physically skipped a few teeth. It isn't computer related, I didn't mean to imply that. I'm not sure but i think that the exhaust cam actually got retarted or something to that effect. I'm not for sure on that, but either way, I don't believe the valves or pistons were damaged at all. I never heard any ticking from valves slapping pistons. And are the pulleys a problem area? Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming.

97 Neon ACR-Stock

sd240Sep-30-04 11:40 AM
298 posts,
#9744, "RE: Car keeps jumping timing"
In response to Reply # 6
Sep-30-04 11:41 AM by sd240

Oh and just incase it makes a difference all I've done to the car is an apexi N1 downpipe-catback, mbc set at 14psi, safc, rewired fuel pump and K&N air filter w/ open can.

EDIT: and boost and egt gauges

97 Neon ACR-Stock

Diceman19Sep-30-04 04:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#9745, "RE: Car keeps jumping timing"
In response to Reply # 7

may be a bad tensioner or a stretched belt. do you know when these parts were last changed? when i changed my tbelt, my tensioner was faulty and while driving, i heard this flopping around like crazy. it was my tensioner spinning with the belt moving. lucky i didnt kill the car. *phew*

sd240Sep-30-04 05:36 PM
298 posts,
#9746, "RE: Car keeps jumping timing"
In response to Reply # 8

No I really don't know when they were last changed, so I guess that means it's time to replace them. I'll try that and let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the help. Oh and also on the SAFC does that little knock sensor on there do any good. By that I mean is it every accurate, and is there a point where you can tell it has too much knock? I never really understood that. Thanks again.

97 Neon ACR-Stock

Diceman19Sep-30-04 06:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#9747, "RE: Car keeps jumping timing"
In response to Reply # 9

there isnt a such thing as "too much knock". any knock is too much IMO although sometimes it may be unavoidable to have a few counts.(gas types, weather conditions, engine conditions, etc) as far as how accurate the safc is, i do not know. my car is pretty stock as of right now so i dont have any fuel mods yet. soon though.....

sd240Oct-01-04 12:26 PM
298 posts,
#9748, "RE: Car keeps jumping timing"
In response to Reply # 10

Well I realize any knock is bad, but by counts of knock are you referring to the Hz or am I just dumb? I really don't understand anything about the Knock monitor on the SAFC.

97 Neon ACR-Stock

Diceman19Oct-01-04 08:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#9749, "RE: Car keeps jumping timing"
In response to Reply # 11

me neither, since i dont have one. anyone else care to enlighten? jeff?

sd240Oct-02-04 07:37 PM
298 posts,
#9750, "RE: Car keeps jumping timing"
In response to Reply # 12

anybody?

97 Neon ACR-Stock

Vandy420aOct-04-04 07:11 AM
2037 posts,
#9751, "RE: Car keeps jumping timing"
In response to Reply # 11
Oct-04-04 07:12 AM by Vandy420a

Originally posted by sd240
Well I realize any knock is bad, but by counts of knock are you referring to the Hz or am I just dumb? I really don't understand anything about the Knock monitor on the SAFC.

knock monitor on SAFCII is bogus IMO, just like the boost readings I get from my profec B (spec2). According to the profec, i'm only boosting 15psi. According to my boost guage, i'm more like 18-20, depending on air temp, engine conditions, etc. The profec is also terrible at reading spike---but my point is i'm of the opinion that "all in one" functions sacrifice quality/reliability of readout to give you all that extra stuff in an affordable package. Look at what happens with the "blue wire mod" on the SAFC, if you wanna see my point...

you are talking about a 1g, right? if you are talking about a 2g, then there is no knock count at all (that you can see, at least), unless you use DSMlink (I think)

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9737 Previous topic | Next topic