Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9690
View in linear mode

Subject: "question about base timing" Previous topic | Next topic
Diceman19Oct-11-04 02:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9690, "question about base timing"

let me get one thing straight. there is a plug you have to ground to make the ecu stop messing with the timing. so in theory, if i ground that plug, and my car idles perfectly fine, (as long as the timing belt is on like it should be.) then there is a problem with a sensor or some reading that the ecu is getting that is screwing the timing, assuming that a timing issue is causing my bad idle. i was basically just wondering if i could ground that clip, then see if the car would idle right. if so, with my theory in mind, it would be a sensor or whatever that is broke. let me know if i am calculating this right. and check out my exhaust pics a few threads down!!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Diceman19Oct-11-04 06:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9691, "RE: question about base timing ****big pic"
In response to Reply # 0

bizumpidumpdump. just waiting on you guys. here is a pic of what i think is the connector, let me know if that is right.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

HybriDSMOct-11-04 06:32 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#9692, "RE: question about base timing ****big pic"
In response to Reply # 1

Yes you take off the cap from that plug and ground that connection out. Check base timing that way and you should have the more info you desire.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Diceman19Oct-11-04 09:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#9693, "RE: question about base timing ****big pic"
In response to Reply # 2

awesome, now about my theory, is it correct? thanks for the info matt, you are DA MAN....(with the fast car)

HybriDSMOct-11-04 10:46 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#9694, "RE: question about base timing ****big pic"
In response to Reply # 3
Oct-11-04 10:47 AM by HybriDSM

Originally posted by Diceman19
awesome, now about my theory, is it correct? thanks for the info matt, you are DA MAN....(with the fast car)

The ECU does not change what the timing IS, it just changes how it is read. When you use the timing light, it shouldn't be an issue anyway as you see the exact base timing as dictated by the #1 plug firing.

The theory seems a bit off, but then again, I haven't thought it through that much. I guess it might make sense that there is a faulty electrical issue coausing the ECU to misinterpret timing but I'd think there would be too many variables to focus it down to that one "thing" that could be anything since the ECU reads alot of info.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Diceman19Oct-11-04 01:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#9695, "RE: question about base timing ****big pic"
In response to Reply # 4

ok, i was thinking that the ecu will compensate timing and such based on variables like fuel, heat, etc. so i figured since the ecu compensates and changes timing until you ground that plug, then i could ground it out and see if there was a sensor killing my timing. but the more i think about it, the more it doesnt make sense or sound like a good idea that would work. guess i will just check my timing and be on with it.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9690 Previous topic | Next topic