Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9565
View in linear mode

Subject: "sleeper or all out" Previous topic | Next topic
kelvinb1Oct-18-04 09:19 AM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9565, "sleeper or all out"

what are your thoughts on this? im debating on keeping the factory exhaust with a 3in cutout, or go a full exhaust system. i really enjoy not hearing the exhaust the way it is, and also be able to open that biatch up whenever with the cut out. i dono what i want to do

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: sleeper or all out, Diceman19, Oct-18-04 09:31 AM, #1
RE: sleeper or all out, kelvinb1, Oct-18-04 09:42 AM, #2
      RE: sleeper or all out, Diceman19, Oct-18-04 10:32 AM, #3
           RE: sleeper or all out, Pitchblack98, Oct-18-04 11:11 AM, #4
                RE: sleeper or all out, ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-18-04 11:59 AM, #5
                     RE: sleeper or all out, FlyinEsi, Oct-18-04 12:59 PM, #6
                          RE: sleeper or all out, HybriDSM, Oct-18-04 05:39 PM, #7
                               RE: sleeper or all out, FlyinEsi, Oct-18-04 06:50 PM, #8
                                    RE: sleeper or all out, 97gsx, Oct-19-04 01:03 PM, #9
                                         RE: sleeper or all out, kelvinb1, Oct-20-04 08:12 AM, #10
                                              RE: sleeper or all out, Vandy420a, Oct-20-04 08:18 AM, #11
                                                   RE: sleeper or all out, kelvinb1, Oct-20-04 08:27 AM, #12
                                                        RE: sleeper or all out, UDLUZE, Oct-22-04 01:43 AM, #13
                                                        RE: sleeper or all out, UDLUZE, Oct-22-04 01:45 AM, #14
                                                             RE: sleeper or all out, gsTURBOeclipse, Oct-26-04 10:11 PM, #15

Diceman19Oct-18-04 09:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9566, "RE: sleeper or all out"
In response to Reply # 0

i dont know, nowadays, you can have an exhaust and still be a sleeper because of all the ricers. things that tip people off, opening your hood, not opening your hood if asked, bad idle, lots of gauges, or ripping by them at 25psi in 3rd gear. i say go all out 3in, but i am all about how fast can the car be, not how fast can i make it but keep it a secret too. yea its fun to sneak up on people and smoke em, but you also dont want to get turned down for a race just because they "know" that they will win.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

kelvinb1Oct-18-04 09:42 AM
1543 posts,
#9567, "RE: sleeper or all out"
In response to Reply # 1

i feel ya on that one. id just love to keep a factory exhaust with someone assuming i have nothing done. launch with it closed and while going open that biatch up and be gone. the only gauge i was going to do as of right now was a boost gauge

Diceman19Oct-18-04 10:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#9568, "RE: sleeper or all out"
In response to Reply # 2

i know there is some kind of "switching" pipe that you could do but it would be completely custom and i dont know how you would get it all to fit under the car. it is in essence, two exhausts running to the back of the car.

Pitchblack98Oct-18-04 11:11 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#9569, "RE: sleeper or all out"
In response to Reply # 3

hit up etx he just did his exhuast with that valve that opens to allow the exhuast to dump out bypassing the factory exhuast.

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-18-04 11:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#9570, "RE: sleeper or all out"
In response to Reply # 4

Launching with it closed and then opening it up will be a bitch to tune.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

FlyinEsiOct-18-04 12:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#9571, "RE: sleeper or all out"
In response to Reply # 5

Don't buy an aftermarket 3" catback. If you want to go trick, have your stock exhaust hanging on the brackets and welded to the frame, but have an aftermarket muffler and then just piped out the side or dumped out the back.

HybriDSMOct-18-04 05:39 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#9572, "RE: sleeper or all out"
In response to Reply # 6

I love the stock look, but I wouldn't (personally) go to extreme lengths to make it look completely stock.

The FMIC would give it away anyway so just rock the full 3" turbo back exhaust too. There are enough variables in getting these cars running right and reliably without dealing with electronic cutouts and rerouted pipes and everything.

And "somewhat stock" will keep the ricer wannabes away too. I have had several guys rev on me in my car only to see the FMIC and Exhaust and gauges and immediately back off. It helps to prevent asshats from wasting your time.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

FlyinEsiOct-18-04 06:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#9573, "RE: sleeper or all out"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by HybriDSM
I love the stock look, but I wouldn't (personally) go to extreme lengths to make it look completely stock. The FMIC would give it away anyway so just rock the full 3" turbo back exhaust too. There are enough variables in getting these cars running right and reliably without dealing with electronic cutouts and rerouted pipes and everything. And "somewhat stock" will keep the ricer wannabes away too. I have had several guys rev on me in my car only to see the FMIC and Exhaust and gauges and immediately back off. It helps to prevent asshats from wasting your time.

Could not have said that any better myself. I have not raced 1 single Civic DX/EX/LX whatever the fuck they are, yet. Only serious contenders here, no need to waste gas.

97gsxOct-19-04 01:03 PM
Member since Aug 23rd 2004
105 posts,
#9574, "RE: sleeper or all out"
In response to Reply # 8

There are some many loud cars that are POS's out there that if you just do your exhaust to make it as fast as possible, why bother if its loud, you know its fast and soon they will too. If all else fails you'll just attract more people to beat.

'97 GSX (4g63)
99 front facia/Big 16g turbo, 16psi/custom intercooler piping/turbo xs dual stage boost controler/greddy bov/MSD 8.5mm superconductor wires/NGK plugs/18" hyper black rims w/chrome lip/aem drilled and slotted rotors/front upper and rear lower anti-sway bars/test pipe/magnaflow highflow cat/cat back exhaust/eibach springs/ground control coil-overs/1600lbs act clutch/organic flywheel/zeotronics digital air/fuel readout/autometer sportcomp boost and cobalt egt gauges

kelvinb1Oct-20-04 08:12 AM
1543 posts,
#9575, "RE: sleeper or all out"
In response to Reply # 9
Oct-20-04 08:14 AM by kelvinb1

one thing i have been looking into is a supra smic, or a anodized? black fmic intercooler so its not easily seen. i can pick up a 21x9x3 intercooler for 125 bucks local right now, but i dont have the cash until friday. DAMN! anyways a mechanica cut out would be sweet though. i guess there is really no place to 'hide' the gauges either. the boost gauge i was thinking of putting on top of the steering column (initial d style) but i dont know yet. i have a supra ic site book marked so i may just try and find one of those.

Vandy420aOct-20-04 08:18 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#9576, "RE: sleeper or all out"
In response to Reply # 10

why don't you go for clean over sleeper? But if you must try sleeper, a few issues back in Sport Compact Car there was a GSX that did a custom 3" exhaust that exited in a stock appearing muffler...take a looksee, it may give you some ideas.

The issue was "Midnight Club" and it had a pic of the eclipse on the front getting ready to race a Vette

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

kelvinb1Oct-20-04 08:27 AM
1543 posts,
#9577, "RE: sleeper or all out"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Vandy420a
why don't you go for clean over sleeper? But if you must try sleeper, a few issues back in Sport Compact Car there was a GSX that did a custom 3" exhaust that exited in a stock appearing muffler...take a looksee, it may give you some ideas. The issue was "Midnight Club" and it had a pic of the eclipse on the front getting ready to race a Vette

this car was 300 bucks so its not to clean. it will be in the process of both fast/clean at the same time

UDLUZEOct-22-04 01:43 AM
Member since Nov 08th 2002
60 posts,
#9578, "RE: sleeper or all out"
In response to Reply # 12

Keep the exhaust stock and use a cutout. The link below is a nice looking piece.
http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm

(BUILT SHORTBLOCK, HRC S20G-H W/ FMIC, CRANE 16S, 450 dsm injectors, Chillfactory regulator, 3" EXHAUST, SPEC CLUTCH)

UDLUZEOct-22-04 01:45 AM
Member since Nov 08th 2002
60 posts,
#9579, "RE: sleeper or all out"
In response to Reply # 12

Keep the exhaust stock and use a cutout. The link below is a nice looking piece.
http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm

(BUILT SHORTBLOCK, HRC S20G-H W/ FMIC, CRANE 16S, 450 dsm injectors, Chillfactory regulator, 3" EXHAUST, SPEC CLUTCH)

gsTURBOeclipseOct-26-04 10:11 PM
Member since Mar 24th 2004
265 posts,
#9580, "RE: sleeper or all out"
In response to Reply # 14

i'm going for the "sleeper" look as well . . my car looks 100% stock except for the exhaust . . there is nothing you can really do to hide the exhaust except by doing a Y pipe where one is the stock exhaust and one is open downpipe . . but those have electronic switches in them (most) and are likely to stick open . . usually to the open downpipe position . . so i've heard they are more of a hassle than anything . . exhaust systems aren't ricey if they make power IMO . . i made 21 hp to the ground with just an exhaust . . i think just because your car has an exhaust doesn't mean it's turbo

13.4@106

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9565 Previous topic | Next topic