Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8997
View in linear mode

Subject: "slowboy blocks/heads?" Previous topic | Next topic
soulcontrollerFeb-28-05 12:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8997, "slowboy blocks/heads?"
Feb-28-05 12:17 PM by soulcontroller

anyone have personal experience with their shortblocks and/or heads? i "might" be doing a rebuild this summer, and i was looking at ordering a block from them. my compression numbers are getting at or just below the servicable limit. 142k miles original block. burning a little oil, probably has to do with worn ooold valve guides. slight lifter tick. it really just needs a full rebuild.

slowboy seems to be reasonably priced for what you get. im not trying to cut corners, but i think the prices they have listed seem to be about average. buschur being one of the higher priced options.

im putting this together the same way i built up the eclipse. forged rods/pistons, all new head components, ss valves, etc.

anyway,

questions,comments,concerns?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: slowboy blocks/heads?, TeamJeff_99gs, Feb-28-05 02:37 PM, #1
RE: slowboy blocks/heads?, soulcontroller, Feb-28-05 03:27 PM, #2
      RE: slowboy blocks/heads?, TeamJeff_99gs, Feb-28-05 04:04 PM, #3
           RE: slowboy blocks/heads?, Pitchblack98, Feb-28-05 06:01 PM, #4
                RE: slowboy blocks/heads?, HybriDSM, Mar-01-05 03:33 AM, #5
                     RE: slowboy blocks/heads?, soulcontroller, Mar-01-05 04:26 AM, #6

TeamJeff_99gsFeb-28-05 02:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8998, "RE: slowboy blocks/heads?"
In response to Reply # 0

Do you really need forged internals? Are you planning on 10's?

I have no personal experience with SBR, but they tend to have a pretty good reputation.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

soulcontrollerFeb-28-05 03:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#8999, "RE: slowboy blocks/heads?"
In response to Reply # 1

do i need them right now? probably not. will i need them in the future? maybe. i really do prefer to do things once and right.

if money is tight im just going to stick with my 1g rods and some forged pistons. i really dont know how far im going to take this car.

thanks for the input though jeff. they do have a good rep.

TeamJeff_99gsFeb-28-05 04:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#9000, "RE: slowboy blocks/heads?"
In response to Reply # 2

Forged engines sometimes don't last as long as engines with stock internals. If this is going to be a daily driver you might want to consider 2g pistons on forged rods. Lots of people have successfully run high 10's with that combination. Saves you a little money. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Pitchblack98Feb-28-05 06:01 PM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#9001, "RE: slowboy blocks/heads?"
In response to Reply # 3

Heres some info you might want to read before you go buying something from Slowboy. Id buy parts from them if I had too, but I wouldnt buy a built motor from them...

http://www.rmdsm.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4019&highlight=slowboy

http://www.rmdsm.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3429&highlight=slowboy

http://www.rmdsm.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2810&highlight=slowboy

and thats only a few threads about their motor work being crap. one guy their has gotten 3 motors from them to have them all blow up something go wrong inside them. Last I heard they wouldnt warrenty the wrist pin locks coming out and making the block and pistons junk. So hes out $4500 and not happy about it.

HybriDSMMar-01-05 03:33 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#9002, "RE: slowboy blocks/heads?"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-01-05 03:41 AM by HybriDSM

I ordered basically all of my parts from SBR when doing my rebuild. Their service was nothing short of exemplary. I don't know anything about their engine work but my personal experience with the company has been fantastic.

If you have questions, call or email and they will be more than responsive to you. Cost wise, getting one of their prebuilt blocks or heads is about the same price as doing it piecemeal, but you are relying on them for machine work. If you have someone local you can check on periodically that you are comfortable with, it's nice to be close to the work being done, but then again, that adds some steps to the whole process.

Also, this might be the time to decide what your car is going to be. If you're going to take it off the street and make it a weekend driver, go forged and baby the car, but I can attest to having a car with forged internals. It hates anything but perfect conditions and it not meant for daily driving. Go with the 2g/1g combo if you'll daily drive it, like Jeff said. Avoid unnecessary headaches if you can. Plenty more will spring up with your DSM

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

soulcontrollerMar-01-05 04:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#9003, "RE: slowboy blocks/heads?"
In response to Reply # 5

dont forget i have an all forged 420a. im perfectly aware of the pros/cons of a race built engine. my cars are daily driven, but when you 'daily' drive around 8-9k miles a year total, divided between two cars, its not a big deal.

im probably going to stick with the 1g rods, but use some wiseco's to compensate for my occasional lackluster tuning.

im going to get ahold of VT and see what they can do for me.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8997 Previous topic | Next topic