Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8001
View in linear mode

Subject: "Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???" Previous topic | Next topic
FlyinEsiAug-22-05 04:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8001, "Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"

I'm thinking about getting a new manifold since I have to redrill mine anyway for the EGT, and this one is cheap...do you think it is CHEEEAPP??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Header-Turbo-exhaust-manifold-4G63_W0QQitemZ7993511025QQcategoryZ33632QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also looking at a new turbo, how does this one sound?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garrett-GT-3076R-Ball-Bearing-Turbo-Mitsu-Eclipse-DSM_W0QQitemZ7989351241QQcategoryZ33742QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Both of these have the T25 flange, so they should work together, right?

Thanks guys.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, BMPDirk, Aug-22-05 04:23 AM, #1
RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, BigBald, Aug-22-05 04:29 AM, #3
RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, BigBald, Aug-22-05 04:27 AM, #2
RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, FlyinEsi, Aug-22-05 08:20 AM, #4
      RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, BigBald, Aug-22-05 08:27 AM, #5
           RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, FlyinEsi, Aug-22-05 08:43 AM, #6
                RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, BigBald, Aug-22-05 09:21 AM, #7
                RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, 420a-Tnthewerks, Aug-22-05 11:42 AM, #8
                     RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, FlyinEsi, Aug-22-05 12:32 PM, #9
                          RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, soulcontroller, Aug-22-05 12:50 PM, #10
                          RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, BigBald, Aug-22-05 12:54 PM, #11
                               RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, FlyinEsi, Aug-22-05 12:59 PM, #12
                                    RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, BigBald, Aug-22-05 02:59 PM, #13
                          RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, Remy, Aug-22-05 05:44 PM, #15
                RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, Remy, Aug-22-05 05:43 PM, #14
                     RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, BMPDirk, Aug-23-05 04:06 AM, #16
                          RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, FlyinEsi, Aug-23-05 09:07 AM, #17
                               RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, BigBald, Aug-23-05 09:23 AM, #18
                                    RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, FlyinEsi, Aug-23-05 09:28 AM, #19
                                    RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, BigBald, Aug-23-05 10:54 AM, #20
                                    RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, Remy, Aug-23-05 02:35 PM, #23
                                    RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, Remy, Aug-23-05 02:13 PM, #21
                                         RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, FlyinEsi, Aug-23-05 02:25 PM, #22
                                         RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, BigBald, Aug-23-05 05:14 PM, #24
                                         RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???, BigBald, Aug-23-05 05:21 PM, #25

BMPDirkAug-22-05 04:23 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8002, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 0

I wouldnt buy that header. 200 bucks is CHEAP for a tubular style, and the quality doesnt look good to me. Ive heard horror stories about all those ebay headers cracking. Have you looked into the SBR exhaust manifold? If i were to get an exhaust mani, that would be it.

Is this going to be your daily driver? With a turbo that big, i would want an external wastegate setup imo. Also, i dont think your motor will last very long if you run that turbo in its efficiency range on a stock block.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BigBaldAug-22-05 04:29 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#8003, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by BMPDirk
Is this going to be your daily driver? With a turbo that big, i would want an external wastegate setup imo. Also, i dont think your motor will last very long if you run that turbo in its efficiency range on a stock block.

Turbo is small....38mm Internal gate is fine. I would personally run a external setup, but i am sure that 38mm will do.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

BigBaldAug-22-05 04:27 AM
2715 posts,
#8004, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 0

Turbo is from Bullseye Power. They make decent Turbo's. That one right there is the equivalent to the FP3052 aka GT30R. ITs a str8 garrett Turbo with a mitsu back housing. The only thing about Bullseye is they do not give out the housing a/r so no idea how flow will be with that turbo.

Stay away from that manifold. There are very few reputable MAnifold makers and they all cost 500 or better. The one will crack eventually and if you search through tuners and talk you will find this out. If you want tubular, Shearer Fabrications, DNPerformance, MAgnus Motorsports, Full Race, RNR Racing all make good manifolds. Victory PErformance actually has one on sale right now and you can contact them about it.

FlyinEsiAug-22-05 08:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8005, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 2
Aug-22-05 08:20 AM by FlyinEsi

Noted on the manifold....thanks.

Turbo...maybe I'm looking too big...I'll keep looking, but maybe for something in the 350-450 HP range, that way i don't have to rebuild just yet. Definitely want ball bearing though....

Any suggestions?

I was told internally gated turbo's are more reliable, and easier to tune? Any truth to that?

BigBaldAug-22-05 08:27 AM
2715 posts,
#8006, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
Noted on the manifold....thanks. Turbo...maybe I'm looking too big...I'll keep looking, but maybe for something in the 350-450 HP range, that way i don't have to rebuild just yet. Definitely want ball bearing though.... Any suggestions? I was told internally gated turbo's are more reliable, and easier to tune? Any truth to that?

That is a small turbo.....it flows 52lb/min which is roughly 520hp at the crank. You will/should love that turbo. I had the 3052 and loved it to death....very efficient and loves 93 octane.

I hate internal gates and therefore cannot offer you a unbiased opinion on them. However, I can tell you that internal gate was tested up to 650whp w/o incident. Its plenty big enough for what you want to do.

FlyinEsiAug-22-05 08:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8007, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 5

I wouldn't want to run the turbo to it's max, so I'd never see 500 HP out of it. I'd like to run it around 16-18psi, but I can only buy 91 octane around here w/o mixing 105 octane in.

What would be a good psi range to run on that turbo on 91 octane gas where I wouldn't see any problems?

BigBaldAug-22-05 09:21 AM
2715 posts,
#8008, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 6

I ran 18psi with absolutely no knock on a stock SMIC. You will have no problems running whatever boost you like on this turbo. People have run 25psi on pump gas with little to know knock. You have dsmlink, boost is not a issue for us....you control timing.

420a-TnthewerksAug-22-05 11:42 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#8009, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 7

Yep, I plan on getting the FP3052 when I get a GSX. Here is a good read on it:

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108045&page=8&pp=25&highlight=fp3052

Makes you get all giddy inside doesn't it?

FlyinEsiAug-22-05 12:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8010, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
Yep, I plan on getting the FP3052 when I get a GSX. Here is a good read on it: http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108045&page=8&pp=25&highlight=fp3052 Makes you get all giddy inside doesn't it?

I saw the FP3065 on a GSX and I don't like the way the piping on the turbo is setup, the guy HAD to remove his radiator fan to make way for the piping...did you have a problem with the 3052 Jerrome???

Do you have any inside engine bay shots with the turbo on?

soulcontrollerAug-22-05 12:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#8011, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 9

does victory performance make an ex. mani?

i have their 02 housing and its a super quality piece. awesome welds. i would get a manifold from them if they make one. give yourself extra time though, they can be somewhat slow.

BigBaldAug-22-05 12:54 PM
2715 posts,
#8012, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 10
Aug-22-05 12:57 PM by BigBald

VP has one on their site right now for sale....$500.

I have two slim fans...Radiator and AC fan. I am not sure why he had to remove his radiator fan. If you click on my sig and look through my photo gallery, you will see the pics of how it fits. Just remember, with 3052 you need all FP's parts. With the Bullseye Turbo, you can use your o2 Housing and internal Wastegate. That will be another space saver.

FlyinEsiAug-22-05 12:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8013, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 11
Aug-22-05 01:00 PM by FlyinEsi

that is exactly why I want to find a "stock" replacement tubular manifold. Thx Jerrome.

Shit man, $500!! That is more than a damn Greddy header for an N/T and it is at least twice as long!

BigBaldAug-22-05 02:59 PM
2715 posts,
#8014, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 12

that is exactly why I want to find a "stock" replacement tubular manifold. Thx Jerrome. Shit man, $500!! That is more than a damn Greddy header for an N/T and it is at least twice as long!

Mines would have been perfect....lol. Look around and you can find a good manifold at a good price.

RemyAug-22-05 05:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#8015, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks Yep, I plan on getting the FP3052 when I get a GSX. Here is a good read on it: http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108045&page=8&pp=25&highlight=fp3052 Makes you get all giddy inside doesn't it?
I saw the FP3065 on a GSX and I don't like the way the piping on the turbo is setup, the guy HAD to remove his radiator fan to make way for the piping...did you have a problem with the 3052 Jerrome??? Do you have any inside engine bay shots with the turbo on?

If you use bigger fmic piping it will run into the stock ac fan.Just get a slim fan and it cures that problem.

WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

RemyAug-22-05 05:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#8016, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 6

I wouldn't want to run the turbo to it's max, so I'd never see 500 HP out of it. I'd like to run it around 16-18psi, but I can only buy 91 octane around here w/o mixing 105 octane in. What would be a good psi range to run on that turbo on 91 octane gas where I wouldn't see any problems?

Stick with a evo 16g. You do not need to go any bigger than that.

WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

BMPDirkAug-23-05 04:06 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#8017, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by Remy
Originally posted by FlyinEsi I wouldn't want to run the turbo to it's max, so I'd never see 500 HP out of it. I'd like to run it around 16-18psi, but I can only buy 91 octane around here w/o mixing 105 octane in. What would be a good psi range to run on that turbo on 91 octane gas where I wouldn't see any problems?
Stick with a evo 16g. You do not need to go any bigger than that. WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

i love my evo16g

FlyinEsiAug-23-05 09:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8018, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 16

I like the EVO 16G turbo as well, quick spool and higher boost, but I eventually hope to rebuild the motor, maybe next summer/winter, and I would like to have the bigger turbo ready and waiting.

...still thinking about the EVO turbo though...

BigBaldAug-23-05 09:23 AM
2715 posts,
#8019, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 17

Get either a 50 Trim, GT30R, FP Green, or FP3052. Leave those 16g's alone.

FlyinEsiAug-23-05 09:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8020, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 18
Aug-23-05 09:34 AM by FlyinEsi

Originally posted by BigBald

Jerrome, do you know of one that will bolt up to a "stock" T25 flanged manifold and the piping still goes off to the passenger side for my crap-ass FMIC piping and hopefully won't get in the way of my fans?

I want at least a 50 trim, and definitely ball bearing, even if I don't use it right away. And I want to get one internally gated, just to keep things simpler. Since you guys know how amazing I am at tuning these things, I need to keep it somewhat simple, and then get the help with tuning.

Also, I know a guy who does some amazing welding here in Phoenix, do you guys know where I can get a 4g63 exhaust flange, and a T25 flange? I'll have him make a tubular exhaust for me.

Edit: BTW: I'm really loving the DNP header. On their website, the very last one that does not have a pipe for the wastegate. $500 is still pretty steep though. Looks like a very nice product.

BigBaldAug-23-05 10:54 AM
2715 posts,
#8021, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 19

1. DNP is worth every penny they charge

2. That turbo you posted is a complete bolt on turbo. That is the GT30R with a mitsu back housing. You can keep everything with that....well at least you should be able too. I didn't have to ditch anything for the 3052.

RemyAug-23-05 02:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#8022, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by BigBald Get either a 50 Trim, GT30R, FP Green, or FP3052. Leave those 16g's alone.
Jerrome, do you know of one that will bolt up to a "stock" T25 flanged manifold and the piping still goes off to the passenger side for my crap-ass FMIC piping and hopefully won't get in the way of my fans? I want at least a 50 trim, and definitely ball bearing, even if I don't use it right away. And I want to get one internally gated, just to keep things simpler. Since you guys know how amazing I am at tuning these things, I need to keep it somewhat simple, and then get the help with tuning. Also, I know a guy who does some amazing welding here in Phoenix, do you guys know where I can get a 4g63 exhaust flange, and a T25 flange? I'll have him make a tubular exhaust for me. Edit: BTW: I'm really loving the DNP header. On their website, the very last one that does not have a pipe for the wastegate. $500 is still pretty steep though. Looks like a very nice product.

50 trim is still going to make you loose your stock ac fan atleast. You can use the greddy piping but you will have to modify the part that runs to the turbo since it mounts more diffrent than the t25.

I have been in your same exact situation before so all i will tell you is start stocking up on all the parts you need. Then install everything together. This way you dont have to do the same things 2 and 3 times like i did. I have learned from my $$$ mistakes so I am just trying to help you out so you dont make the same ones.

Buy your turbo (16g for stock motor or much bigger if you plan on rebuilding any time soon) I just dont see the point of running a big turbo at low boost.
Throw that greddy front mount in the garbage. Tube and fin sucks. You want a bar and plate style front mount. Get a external gate. Boost creep sucks period. Not saying they all boostcreep but when it comes to dsms, the less you have to worry about the better.

Just my 2cents

WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

RemyAug-23-05 02:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#8023, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by BigBald

If you are only going to run 16 to 18psi whats the point of having one of those turbos? Factor in the 91 octane

WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

FlyinEsiAug-23-05 02:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8024, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 21

Originally posted by BigBald Get either a 50 Trim, GT30R, FP Green, or FP3052. Leave those 16g's alone.
If you are only going to run 16 to 18psi whats the point of having one of those turbos? Factor in the 91 octane WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

16 to 18 right now, while I'm on my stock block, with that size turbo is probably like pushing 20-22 psi out of my 16G. I'd like to eventually run 25psi out of a GT30, for example, when I have the funds, hopefully next year to build the block.

Only thing really keeping me from buying all this right now is how often I am being drawn to, or tempted to selling my car.

BigBaldAug-23-05 05:14 PM
2715 posts,
#8025, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 22

Two SlimLine fans and you should be ok. The only time it will be a major concern is if you run an External Gate off the o2 Housing. If you are against slim fans then you should keep the 16g. IF not, then dump that turbo.

BigBaldAug-23-05 05:21 PM
2715 posts,
#8026, "RE: Does this look like a good manifold and turbo???"
In response to Reply # 21

If you are only going to run 16 to 18psi whats the point of having one of those turbos? Factor in the 91 octane WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

I am pretty sure he will run more at some point. And besides, the efficiency range on those turbos are far greater then the Big 16g. This will make for a much happier car. Also makes tuning the thing much easier.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8001 Previous topic | Next topic