Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6096
View in linear mode

Subject: "Transmission is supercharged ;)" Previous topic | Next topic
thedawgNov-18-03 08:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6096, "Transmission is supercharged ;)"
Nov-18-03 08:08 AM by thedawg

So my 1990 Laser w/ 5-speed Tranny makes a noise exactly like a supercharger. This happens mostly under high load in 3rd and 4th.

It's unbelievably cool to hear the engine, turbo, and "supercharger" all spooling up at once... but it can't be a good thing.

Only known issues I can think of are 150k miles on the tranny, worn throwout fork & ball, or tranny -> block misalignment. (The long 12mm bolt directly above the driver output shaft is missing, causing a 2mm gap between the bellhousing and block.) The first explanation is the only one that makes sense to me.

Is this a common thing on higher milage trannys? I'm dropping the tranny in the next week, fixing the bolt and fork. What else should I check out?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TeamJeff_99gsNov-18-03 05:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6097, "RE: Transmission is supercharged ;)"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by thedawg
Is this a common thing on higher milage trannys? I'm dropping the tranny in the next week, fixing the bolt and fork. What else should I check out?

Yes, it is common. That happened to me with a 170k tranny on my Talon right before one of the gears drilled a hole through the end case of the tranny. Start shopping around

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

klipzracerNov-27-03 01:35 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#6098, "RE: Transmission is supercharged ;)"
In response to Reply # 1

yeah my 90 gsx had the bolt on the back bottom off cause a dog ear was broke offa the motor. it's not a good time tryin to push in the clutch and not shift cause your trannies moving away from the motor.
:o

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6096 Previous topic | Next topic