Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5951
View in linear mode

Subject: "Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?" Previous topic | Next topic
Hult250RJun-20-04 11:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5951, "Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?"

Ok, I thik I got my 660's tuned pretty close.
But when im doing 3rd gear pulls to get them tuned my car feels like Im fluttering the gas. I dont know if its the clutch or what.
The car doesnt feel any faster than it did with the stock 450's in it. It pulls but not very hard... Thats why im wondering if it could be the clutch slipping under full boost. Im guessing its still the stock clutch with 125k miles on it. Any way to figure out if its slipping?
Could it be because im not running an AFPR?? Im not sure how the AFPR's work so fill me in if thats a dumb thing to say lol...

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?, Mattcky2k, Jun-20-04 11:36 AM, #1
RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?, Hult250R, Jun-20-04 11:46 AM, #2
      RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?, Vandy420a, Jun-20-04 01:39 PM, #3
           RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?, FlyinEsi, Jun-20-04 02:10 PM, #4
                RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?, Hult250R, Jun-20-04 03:21 PM, #5
                     RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?, FlyinEsi, Jun-20-04 03:44 PM, #6
                          RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?, Hult250R, Jun-20-04 04:00 PM, #7
                               RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?, FlyinEsi, Jun-20-04 06:13 PM, #8
                                    RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?, HybriDSM, Jun-20-04 06:37 PM, #9
                                         RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?, FlyinEsi, Jun-20-04 06:39 PM, #10
                                              RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?, Hult250R, Jun-22-04 11:39 AM, #11

Mattcky2kJun-20-04 11:36 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2002
1135 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5952, "RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?"
In response to Reply # 0

try sitting in your driveway in 1st gear and letting out the clutch very slowly and if you can let off the clutch completley or it's way off the floor your clutch is probably about to go. and i think i know the feeling your talking about. sort of like a hesitation i think? could be your plugs or wires or you could have a leak somwhere that you don't feel under low boost but you can feel while boosting high.

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: K&N Filter, John Sheppard built transmission with GVR4 1st gear, autometer boost gauge, "free mods", Greddy type-s BOV, broken shifter

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Hult250RJun-20-04 11:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#5953, "RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?"
In response to Reply # 1

Its not really a hesitation. It does it at WOT under full boost. Almost like youre moving the gas pedal up and down. but you can only slightly feel it. Ill go tighten up my connectors for my FMIC, maybe i have a boost leak idk...

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

Vandy420aJun-20-04 01:39 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#5954, "RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?"
In response to Reply # 2
Jun-20-04 01:39 PM by Vandy420a

if you push the gas pedal down to WOT and then to half, do the RPM's shoot up noticibly faster/slower w/o much pull? if so then its the clutch...

i.e. your RPMs fly up but the car doens't seem proportionately faster-- also check the wires, but I doubt its the stock clutch at 125k, but it could most definitely be OEM

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

FlyinEsiJun-20-04 02:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#5955, "RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?"
In response to Reply # 3

With those 660s could you be running too rich, or maybe pulled too much fuel out with your SAFC (if you have one)

Hult250RJun-20-04 03:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#5956, "RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
With those 660s could you be running too rich, or maybe pulled too much fuel out with your SAFC (if you have one)

Ive got an AFC
It could just be my tuning... Its the first time Ive tuned anything...
What do you mean I could have pulled too much fuel out?
Does running lean cause what im describing? Im not getting knock and my 02's are at like .90

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

FlyinEsiJun-20-04 03:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#5957, "RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?"
In response to Reply # 5

I wouldn't think so. If you were running lean you would have knock and then get fuel cut. Mine has done it very minorly and if feels liek the clutch is slipping, but I've never had a logger to see if I'm getting any knock. Good luck man.

Hult250RJun-20-04 04:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#5958, "RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?"
In response to Reply # 6

Mine has done it very minorly and if feels liek the clutch is slipping

what do u mean yours has done it before? Like what?

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

FlyinEsiJun-20-04 06:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#5959, "RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?"
In response to Reply # 7

I have had my car have a slight hesitation or lack of acceleration where it felt like the clutch kind of gave way and the car jerked a little bit, but I have concluded with a significant amount of belief it was fuel cut from running too lean.

HybriDSMJun-20-04 06:37 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#5960, "RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?"
In response to Reply # 8

I have had my car have a slight hesitation or lack of acceleration where it felt like the clutch kind of gave way and the car jerked a little bit, but I have concluded with a significant amount of belief it was fuel cut from running too lean.

Fuel cut is to much fuel, not too little. When too much fuel is in the mix, the ECU stops delivery and you hit fuel cut. Too lean means you have timing pulled by the ECU and there is a noticable decrease in performance (and also engine danger).

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

FlyinEsiJun-20-04 06:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#5961, "RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?"
In response to Reply # 9

sorry...I've been reading DSMlink shit all day and I got those 2 mixed up. Yes, definitely timing retard.

Hult250RJun-22-04 11:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#5962, "RE: Clutch is slipping maybe?? Could it be something else?"
In response to Reply # 10

sorry...I've been reading DSMlink shit all day and I got those 2 mixed up. Yes, definitely timing retard.

where should the timing be? Ive heard it should be at like 19-22.
What if its higher or lower?

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5951 Previous topic | Next topic