Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5689
View in linear mode

Subject: "help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?" Previous topic | Next topic
Vandy420aJun-18-05 09:50 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5689, "help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?"
Jun-18-05 10:32 AM by Vandy420a

Hey all, I looked very carefully at the VFAQ, but i'm pretty sure its for a 1g. I can't for the life of me figure out what bolts to undo to pull the axle off for my 2g FWD. any help would be much appreciated, as my car is in 198273409237 pieces right now..

thanks!
matt

I tried the two bolts that hold it underneath, I think they're to control arms, but the bolts won't come out...

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?, Vandy420a, Jun-18-05 11:17 AM, #1
RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?, Vandy420a, Jun-18-05 12:11 PM, #2
      RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?, Hult250R, Jun-18-05 01:04 PM, #3
           RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?, Vandy420a, Jun-18-05 01:16 PM, #4
                RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?, BigBald, Jun-18-05 04:26 PM, #5
                     RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jun-18-05 07:47 PM, #6
                     RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?, Vandy420a, Jun-18-05 08:20 PM, #7
                          RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?, Vandy420a, Jun-19-05 10:14 AM, #8
                               RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?, BigBald, Jun-19-05 01:53 PM, #9
                                    RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?, Remy, Jun-19-05 03:33 PM, #10
                                         RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?, BigBald, Jun-20-05 03:23 AM, #11

Vandy420aJun-18-05 11:17 AM
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5690, "RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?"
In response to Reply # 0

whew ok making progress. I ended up unbolting the lower control arms, then the strut assembly at the lower end of the fork to get the axle out. Passenger side out, now to put it in!! (and do the drivers' side, which took 1/2 a can of PB blaster, 2 breaker bars, and 3 hours of standing on it off and on to break the nut loose.)

Will autozone sell new cotter pins for the axle nut?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Vandy420aJun-18-05 12:11 PM
2037 posts,
#5691, "RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?"
In response to Reply # 1

ugh still can't get that lower pin to press out. Tried lowering the weight of the car onto it like I did the first time to no avail. any ideas?

Hult250RJun-18-05 01:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#5692, "RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Vandy420a
ugh still can't get that lower pin to press out. Tried lowering the weight of the car onto it like I did the first time to no avail. any ideas?

which lower pin??

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

Vandy420aJun-18-05 01:16 PM
2037 posts,
#5693, "RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?"
In response to Reply # 3
Jun-18-05 01:23 PM by Vandy420a

the one that connects the bottom of the hub assembly to what looks like control arms, most forward to the front of the car. There are 2 bolts on swivels that connect to the bottom of the hub assembly, i'm trying to get the bolt out of the connection on the forward most one.

thanks!

edit: I think i may try tackling it from this angle, instead of the aforementioned bolt..

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100676&highlight=axle

where he separates the tie rod. Any suggestions?

BigBaldJun-18-05 04:26 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#5694, "RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?"
In response to Reply # 4

1. Undo the axle nut on both sides.

2. Under the car, you need to unbolt the inner most bolts on the straight lower control arms. By inner most i mean the ones closest to the middle fo the car. To get those out, you will need to unbolt the two metal pieces that are in the way. They both have 4 14mm Bolts. One of the huge bolts will be 17mm and the other will be 19mm.

3. Then there are two bolt that hold the second control arm (the curved one) to the frame. Those are 17mm I believe and there are two on each side.

4. Once you do that, you will need to stick a pry bar between the axle and the tranny and tap it out on the passenger side. It will take more then one shot, but eventually it will move and come out.

5. On the Driver side, there are two more bolt mid shaft that bolt the axle to the block. These are 14mm bolts also that can be reached from under the car. Undo those two and you should be able to pull that axle right out with your bare hands.

There is nothing more that needs to come loose. You should drain your tranny fluid as it will leak out once you pull the axle out. Make sure you loosen the axle nuts before you jack up the car. you might also need to remove the the cross member and the Downpipe to reach some othe the bolts and parts. If you need illustrations, if you go the the VFAQ and look at the how to for a clutch replacement...it will show you everything i mentioned here minus the axle nuts. IF you need more help then this, PM me for my number.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

ModeratoreclipzGSTJun-18-05 07:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5695, "RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by BigBald
1. Undo the axle nut on both sides. 2. Under the car, you need to unbolt the inner most bolts on the straight lower control arms. By inner most i mean the ones closest to the middle fo the car. To get those out, you will need to unbolt the two metal pieces that are in the way. They both have 4 14mm Bolts. One of the huge bolts will be 17mm and the other will be 19mm. 3. Then there are two bolt that hold the second control arm (the curved one) to the frame. Those are 17mm I believe and there are two on each side. 4. Once you do that, you will need to stick a pry bar between the axle and the tranny and tap it out on the passenger side. It will take more then one shot, but eventually it will move and come out. 5. On the Driver side, there are two more bolt mid shaft that bolt the axle to the block. These are 14mm bolts also that can be reached from under the car. Undo those two and you should be able to pull that axle right out with your bare hands. There is nothing more that needs to come loose. You should drain your tranny fluid as it will leak out once you pull the axle out. Make sure you loosen the axle nuts before you jack up the car. you might also need to remove the the cross member and the Downpipe to reach some othe the bolts and parts. If you need illustrations, if you go the the VFAQ and look at the how to for a clutch replacement...it will show you everything i mentioned here minus the axle nuts. IF you need more help then this, PM me for my number.

that pretty much covers it. Nice job Jerrome.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Vandy420aJun-18-05 08:20 PM
2037 posts,
#5696, "RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?"
In response to Reply # 5

thanks a ton! i'm gonna finish it up tomorrow...lost daylight and I Have to wear these stupid sunglasses b/c I just had eye surgery..

Vandy420aJun-19-05 10:14 AM
2037 posts,
#5697, "RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?"
In response to Reply # 7

axles DONE! Thanks to jerome and everyone else who helped out!!!

Man that's a good feeling, plus I saved a ton on labor, changed my overdue tranny fluid, AND fixed my calipers in the process!!

SCORE

BigBaldJun-19-05 01:53 PM
2715 posts,
#5698, "RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?"
In response to Reply # 8

no problem....glad i could be of help. IF you ever have any questions, feel free to call me bro, always willing to help out a fellow DSMer.

RemyJun-19-05 03:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#5699, "RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by BigBald
no problem....glad i could be of help. IF you ever have any questions, feel free to call me bro, always willing to help out a fellow DSMer.

hey I took my tranny and head out and I mixed up all my bolts from my last two cars. My question is can you go threw my box of nuts and bolts and tell me what bolts go where ?

Thanks jerrome

WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

BigBaldJun-20-05 03:23 AM
2715 posts,
#5700, "RE: help!! another axle question: how do I get it off?"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Remy
Originally posted by BigBald no problem....glad i could be of help. IF you ever have any questions, feel free to call me bro, always willing to help out a fellow DSMer.
hey I took my tranny and head out and I mixed up all my bolts from my last two cars. My question is can you go threw my box of nuts and bolts and tell me what bolts go where ? Thanks jerrome WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

At this point, I prolly could......lol. Remember the first time i pulled the tranny and did exactly that.....lol.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5689 Previous topic | Next topic