Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4600
View in linear mode

Subject: "Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's" Previous topic | Next topic
deuceSep-03-03 04:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1065 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4600, "Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's"

Upgrade

Walbro Fuel Pump - Which one?
Upper IC piping
Wellman Boost Controller
Autometer Boost Guage / Air - Do I need a third?
Piller Guage
1g BOV - What kind?

What is the cheapest place to get these parts?

MAJOR TIA!

My 2gnt will forever be missed.....
Hello 1997 GS-T Spyder!!!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's, invaznGST, Sep-03-03 04:55 AM, #1
RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's, icedout, Sep-03-03 05:17 AM, #2
      RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's, HybriDSM, Sep-03-03 05:27 AM, #3
           RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's, deuce, Sep-03-03 05:37 AM, #4
           RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's, icedout, Sep-03-03 05:41 AM, #5
                RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's, deuce, Sep-03-03 05:46 AM, #6
                RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's, HybriDSM, Sep-03-03 05:51 AM, #7
                     RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's, TeamJeff_99gs, Sep-03-03 06:25 AM, #8
                     RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's, deuce, Sep-03-03 06:55 AM, #9
                          RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's, TeamJeff_99gs, Sep-03-03 06:57 AM, #10
                     RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's, icedout, Sep-03-03 11:53 AM, #11
                          RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's, TeamJeff_99gs, Sep-03-03 01:06 PM, #12
                               RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's, HybriDSM, Sep-03-03 04:51 PM, #13
                                    RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's, Remy, Sep-03-03 05:18 PM, #14

invaznGSTSep-03-03 04:55 AM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
3897 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4601, "RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's"
In response to Reply # 0

>Upgrade
>
>Walbro Fuel Pump - Which one?
>Upper IC piping
>Wellman Boost Controller
>Autometer Boost Guage / Air - Do I need a third?
>Piller Guage
>1g BOV - What kind?
>
>
>What is the cheapest place to get these parts?
>
>MAJOR TIA!

walbro it depends on what turbo you have/plan on getting i believe the 190 is good for you.

for upper intercooler pipe try dejon tool..i'ts either dejontools.com or dejontool.com. Mine is a roadrace engineering one and it was pretty cheap. Wellman boost controller? never heard of it.I have the hallman ES manual boost controller. Turbo XS, Hallman, Joe P..they are all good manual boost controllers.. if you want a electronic one get the apexi avcr or greddy profec-b..they are quite expensive though. For gauges. Boost, Air-Fuel, EGT. Those are 3 gauges that are just about REQUIRED for modding a 4g63. You can find them anywhere for about $50..shit even pepboy sells nice autometer ones now..but the EGT gauges are expensive..like $160ish. For blow off valve if you want a cheap good one get the 1G.. you can get them for like $60..they hold a lot of boost and are good. If you want a nice sounding one that holds a lot of boost get either a Greddy Type-S (Type-R if you are running a huge turbo) or HKS Super Sequential.. those seem to be the 2 most common blow off valves for 4g63s. You can find them for about $150ish-$200.. not sure.. i buy most of my shit used. Just becareful from who you buy from. Hope this all helps. later

Mark

'95 Eclipse GST - gone
'00 Jetta GLS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

icedoutSep-03-03 05:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3139 posts,
#4602, "RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's"
In response to Reply # 1

hey i;ll sell you my hks evc ez electronic boost controller if the price is right.... talk to me at the picinic this weekend.....

2006 WW IX MR
2003 BBY EVO VIII (sold)
256.9WHP & 277.9torque
http://s90395832.onlinehome.us/forum//index.php?sid=a70942a7f65043e6c873e12dcd300692

1998 Eclipse RS --show car--

HybriDSMSep-03-03 05:27 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#4603, "RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's"
In response to Reply # 2
Sep-03-03 05:29 AM by HybriDSM

You don't need an A/F gauge. It's a waste of money cause A/F ratio isn't reliable to tune with at all. Boost, EGT, and water temp or FP or Oil pressure or oil temp are better bets.

Also getting a Walbro 255 is probably a better bet if you want to upgrade big in the long run and you can get them for 105 shipped from autoperformanceengineering.com.

Also going with a 1g BOV isn't a bad idea cause the hold about 20 PSI before leaking.

Oh and I recommend the Hallman MBC. They are rock solid.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

deuceSep-03-03 05:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1065 posts,
#4604, "RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's"
In response to Reply # 3

i mean hallman typo sorry

icedoutSep-03-03 05:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3139 posts,
#4605, "RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's"
In response to Reply # 3

>You don't need an A/F gauge. It's a waste of money cause A/F
>ratio isn't reliable to tune with at all. Boost, EGT, and
>water temp or FP or Oil pressure or oil temp are better bets.
>
>Also getting a Walbro 255 is probably a better bet if you want
>to upgrade big in the long run and you can get them for 105
>shipped from autoperformanceengineering.com.
>
>Also going with a 1g BOV isn't a bad idea cause the hold about
>20 PSI before leaking.
>
>Oh and I recommend the Hallman MBC. They are rock solid.

the 1gen will hold 20psi when it is crushed properly..... a reg stock 1gen won't hold up to psi by itself

2006 WW IX MR
2003 BBY EVO VIII (sold)
256.9WHP & 277.9torque
http://s90395832.onlinehome.us/forum//index.php?sid=a70942a7f65043e6c873e12dcd300692

deuceSep-03-03 05:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1065 posts,
#4606, "RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's"
In response to Reply # 5

ger whats your work num...cuz im callin your cell and left a message

HybriDSMSep-03-03 05:51 AM
2407 posts,
#4607, "RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's"
In response to Reply # 5

>the 1gen will hold 20psi when it is crushed properly..... a
>reg stock 1gen won't hold up to psi by itself

Actually, you can run up to around 20 PSI on an uncrushed 1g BOV. IIRC Jeff has run 20 PSI or more on his setup and has always used a 1g BOV.

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

TeamJeff_99gsSep-03-03 06:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#4608, "RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's"
In response to Reply # 7
Sep-03-03 06:30 AM by Jeff_99gs

Like Matt said, www.autoperformanceengineering.com has the walbro for $105 shipped. Great deal.

Dejon Tool or RRE has great 2G upper IC pipes.

Hallman MBC is $45 at www.boostcontroller.com

For all gauges, go through Summit. They are the cheapest I've seen and always reliable. They ship fast too.

I got my A pillar from Alamo Motorsports a while ago. Not sure if they still carry them. Summit should have those as well.

So, recap:

www.autoperformancengineering.com (Walbro pump. Make sure it is NOT the High pressure one)
www.dejontool.com www.roadraceengineering.com (IC pipes)
www.boostcontroller.com (boost controller....duh)
www.summitracing.com (gauges, maybe a-pillar)
www.alamomotorsports.com (a-pillar, turbo timers)

deuceSep-03-03 06:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1065 posts,
#4609, "RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's"
In response to Reply # 8

>Like Matt said, www.autoperformanceengineering.com has the
>walbro for $105 shipped. Great deal.
>
>Dejon Tool or RRE has great 2G upper IC pipes.
>
>Hallman MBC is $45 at www.boostcontroller.com
>
>For all gauges, go through Summit. They are the cheapest I've
>seen and always reliable. They ship fast too.
>
>I got my A pillar from Alamo Motorsports a while ago. Not sure
>if they still carry them. Summit should have those as well.
>
>So, recap:
>
>www.autoperformancengineering.com (Walbro pump. Make sure it
>is NOT the High pressure one)
>www.dejontool.com www.roadraceengineering.com (IC pipes)
>www.boostcontroller.com (boost controller....duh)
>www.summitracing.com (gauges, maybe a-pillar)
>www.alamomotorsports.com (a-pillar, turbo timers)
>
>
>
>
>

Nice, for the IC pips i was thing greedy (pipes) upper and lower with the type-s bov, do you agree?

TeamJeff_99gsSep-03-03 06:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#4610, "RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's"
In response to Reply # 9

If you want to pay a ton of money, Greddy is fine. However, RRE and Dejon Tool make great quality stuff for a lot less. Also, the 1g BOV will work perfectly well for less than half the cost of a Greddy one.

icedoutSep-03-03 11:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3139 posts,
#4611, "RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's"
In response to Reply # 7
Sep-03-03 11:55 AM by icedout

>>the 1gen will hold 20psi when it is crushed properly..... a
>>reg stock 1gen won't hold up to psi by itself
>
>Actually, you can run up to around 20 PSI on an uncrushed 1g
>BOV. IIRC Jeff has run 20 PSI or more on his setup and has
>always used a 1g BOV.
>

I'm going to have to disagree on this one....... with a crushed 1gen you can run up to 20psi......
it will leak at around 15-16 psi if you don't crush it.........
I'm going by experience on this one and also conformation from jeff hill on it.....

2006 WW IX MR
2003 BBY EVO VIII (sold)
256.9WHP & 277.9torque

TeamJeff_99gsSep-03-03 01:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#4612, "RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's"
In response to Reply # 11
Sep-03-03 01:06 PM by Jeff_99gs

I have been running 20psi daily for a year with my stock, uncrushed 1g BOV. I hit full boost at around 3800rpm on a Green. I doubt it is leaking much. It may leak a very small amount, but hardly enough to consider it a problem. Plus, when you crush a BOV it actually has the negative effect of not working properly at low boost levels. That means at partial throttle where you may only build 10psi, the BOV will not work properly.

I have to go with Matt on this one.

HybriDSMSep-03-03 04:51 PM
2407 posts,
#4613, "RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's"
In response to Reply # 12

At this point it's an argument over semantics. Jeff, from personal experience, has run 20 PSI daily with no noticable leaks but Icedout has heard from Jeff Hill that 16 PSI is about the limit. In this case it's safe to assume that once you get close to 20 it will start leaking noticeably (perhaps). Basically, you'll need some serious mods to run close to 18-20 PSI safely so for this purpose putting a 1g BOV in the 2g is the way to go.

At what point a stock 1g BOV leaks isn't an exact science so let's agree to make 18 the magic number with a +/- of 2 PSI. That way everyone is happy.

RemySep-03-03 05:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#4614, "RE: Time to finally upgrade...need opinions and good url's"
In response to Reply # 13

Well Jeff and Icedout ,Duece is going with a greddy bov so case closed sirs

dsms suck.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4600 Previous topic | Next topic