Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4397
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tips on installing Boost gauge?" Previous topic | Next topic
Mattcky2kOct-20-03 04:13 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2002
1135 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4397, "Tips on installing Boost gauge?"

i've read the boost gauge install on a couple of sites and searched a little on it but still am not totally confident i can do it myself. i don't want to have to pay 30 dollars to have it installed so is there any tips or a quick write up someone could do to help me be more confident in installing it? TIA

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: K&N Filter, John Sheppard built transmission with GVR4 1st gear, autometer boost gauge, "free mods", Greddy type-s BOV, broken shifter

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?, theallpowerfulme, Oct-20-03 06:24 PM, #1
RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-20-03 06:38 PM, #2
      RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?, thedawg, Oct-20-03 10:58 PM, #3
           RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-21-03 07:13 AM, #
           RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-21-03 07:13 AM, #4
                RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?, invaznGST, Oct-22-03 11:34 AM, #5
                     RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?, Mattcky2k, Oct-22-03 11:56 AM, #6
                          RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-22-03 11:58 AM, #7
                               RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?, Mattcky2k, Oct-22-03 02:27 PM, #8
                                    RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?, Vandy420a, Oct-23-03 03:32 AM, #9

theallpowerfulmeOct-20-03 06:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4398, "RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?"
In response to Reply # 0

T a good vac line, i.e. actuator, bov, fpr. Its real easy.

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-20-03 06:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4399, "RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?"
In response to Reply # 1
Oct-20-03 06:39 PM by eclipzGST

for the line, you want to tap here:

you can run the line up through the steering column boot. It's real easy. Just tape the end of the hose to a coat hanger, cut a little notch in the boot and stick it through. Make sure it won't rub on anything.
You can tap the power wire to the light in the ashtray and ground anywhere.
It's pretty easy.
Don't make fun of my circus colored hoses and zipties...

edit: I'm assuming this is for the 2G GSX. If it's for a 1G, It's a little different but same idea...

-Tony
98'GST
92'TSI-AWD

eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

"...don't make me photoshop your pants so high that your undies start going over your head, think of it as a kaptainmyke wedgie if you will" -Kap'n Myke

thedawgOct-20-03 10:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#4400, "RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?"
In response to Reply # 2

The previous owner of my 1G tapped (with a tee) the fuel pressure solenoid line on the firewall.

Is this ok? Fuel seems like something you wouldn't want to disturb.

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-21-03 07:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4401, "RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?"

if it's this one:

then, it is the correct one. (notice white tee)

-Tony
98'GST
92'TSI-AWD

eclipzgst@charter.net

turboclipz on AIM

"...don't make me photoshop your pants so high that your undies start going over your head, think of it as a kaptainmyke wedgie if you will" -Kap'n Myke

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-21-03 07:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4402, "RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?"
In response to Reply # 3
Oct-21-03 07:14 AM by eclipzGST

oops.

invaznGSTOct-22-03 11:34 AM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
3897 posts,
#4403, "RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?"
In response to Reply # 4

get a T-Tap from an auto store or pet store. Pet store sells metal ones incase you wanted a metal one instaed of plastic. Then just connect the vaccum line and split it and then run that hose back through the firewall through the steering boot column or the fender. Hook it up to the gauge. Then wire up the gauge ilghts by connecting to the parking lots. So when you turn your parking lights on your gauge will come on. Then you will need to ground it. Just find any screw that is touching metal and put it between the screw and metal (chasis of the car) and th en you'll be set. Hope all this helps. It's raelly not that hard.

Mark

'95 Eclipse GST - gone
'00 Jetta GLS

Mattcky2kOct-22-03 11:56 AM
1135 posts,
#4404, "RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?"
In response to Reply # 5

i have an autometer sport comp gauge and the electric wire are pretty short so will i have to get some speaker wire or something to make them reach either the parking lights or cigerette lighter wires?

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: K&N Filter, John Sheppard built transmission with GVR4 1st gear, autometer boost gauge, "free mods", Greddy type-s BOV, broken shifter

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-22-03 11:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4405, "RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?"
In response to Reply # 6

yup. That will work fine. If your mounting in the pillar, dash lights are close but cig lighter is much easier to get to from anywhere.

-Tony
98'GST
92'TSI-AWD

eclipzgst@charter.net

turboclipz on AIM

Mattcky2kOct-22-03 02:27 PM
1135 posts,
#4406, "RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?"
In response to Reply # 7

cool thanks for the info guys just one more thing is there only one wire that runs to the cig lighter and if not which one do i tap in to? and what is an average reading i should get on a stock engine? i'll take pics and let you guys know how it goes when i do it.

Vandy420aOct-23-03 03:32 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#4407, "RE: Tips on installing Boost gauge?"
In response to Reply # 8

totally depends on your mods for what readings you'll get, but bone stock you should be seeing somewhere around 10-12psi...my reccomendation to you is to SERIOUSLY consider WHERE wires will be running, and to zip tie down like a nazi...then when you go back 3 weeks later to change the wire paths, you'll at least have thought it out some...i've changed my wire paths twice..i <<think>> i'm satisfied now, no more pedal blockage, no more shorts from moving around close to other wires. Oh, and one last thing, ALWAYS tape over butt crimp connectors/vampire clips, even if it looks good..I had a short problem with vamp clips that drove me crazy for like 3 weeks till I just said screw it and redid them all w/tape and new connectors.

Vandy

P.S. for your convienence I find its helpful to use like 16awg or a little smaller speaker wire and use that for power, ground, and switched power...then if you use more guages in the future just tap them from the speaker wire, makes things a bit cleaner if you only have the minimum tapped into the car's actual wiring

Good luck, you'll do fine

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4397 Previous topic | Next topic