Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4103
View in linear mode

Subject: "Auto VS Manual" Previous topic | Next topic
BlmetDec-07-03 02:54 PM
Member since Jan 26th 2002
328 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4103, "Auto VS Manual"

I am looking to buying a 97-99 gsx or a 97-98 tsi awd. My question is about transmissions. This started because I am looking for an awd vehicle and I can't find any manuals in my region that are in good shape and are non-modified. So I started to think maybe I might have to get an auto. Anyways my questions are: How much power can the auto awd tranny hold? My goal is 300-400 hp, the closer to 400 the better but I am not going to render it unstreetable. Second, how much slower are they than manuals in stock form, then with shift kits and TC's? Third, what are the benefits other than no lost of spool during shifting and building boost at the line? Lastly, what is the top speed in an auto at the top of four gear and how do they pick up when they get stomped on in 4th gear? Does shutting overdrive off shut off four gear? I usually get into it at highway speeds and don't want to be hindered by a low top speed. I realize a gst/tsi would prolly be better at high speeds due to gearing and less weight, but I don't what the traction problems faced by fwd vehicles at the line.

Thanks for replies.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TeamJeff_99gsDec-08-03 03:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4104, "RE: Auto VS Manual"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Blmet
I am looking to buying a 97-99 gsx or a 97-98 tsi awd. My question is about transmissions. This started because I am looking for an awd vehicle and I can't find any manuals in my region that are in good shape and are non-modified. So I started to think maybe I might have to get an auto. Anyways my questions are: How much power can the auto awd tranny hold? My goal is 300-400 hp, the closer to 400 the better but I am not going to render it unstreetable. Second, how much slower are they than manuals in stock form, then with shift kits and TC's? Third, what are the benefits other than no lost of spool during shifting and building boost at the line? Lastly, what is the top speed in an auto at the top of four gear and how do they pick up when they get stomped on in 4th gear? Does shutting overdrive off shut off four gear? I usually get into it at highway speeds and don't want to be hindered by a low top speed. I realize a gst/tsi would prolly be better at high speeds due to gearing and less weight, but I don't what the traction problems faced by fwd vehicles at the line. Thanks for replies.

The auto tranny can hold 400hp no problem. My old roommate (97TSiAWD here and a mod on DSMtalk) ran 12.0 at 115ish mph on the stock auto tranny (other than a shift kit). He has since run in the 11s with an upgraded torque converter too. The tranny is very reliable and works well.

As for other benefits, you have longer gears then the manual cars, and you can downshift for immediate boost (kicks ass).

If you get an auto, definitely go AWD. No offense to Tony, but I wouldn't want an automatic GS-T or TSi.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-08-03 05:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4105, "RE: Auto VS Manual"
In response to Reply # 1

none taken. I have both now

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

RemyDec-09-03 07:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#4106, "RE: Auto VS Manual"
In response to Reply # 2

Autos are no fun...and yes I owned one. Yea you can build boost at the line but you cant compare that to launching at 5k

5sp > auto imo

Hello Mr. 12's . How are you today ?

Member # 333

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-09-03 11:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4107, "RE: Auto VS Manual"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Remy
Autos are no fun...and yes I owned one. Yea you can build boost at the line but you cant compare that to launching at 5k 5sp > auto imo Hello Mr. 12's . How are you today ? Member # 333

which is kinda why I think I would prefer an auto tranny in a FWD car. Unless you have a stutterbox, you don't really have to worry too much about traction off the line.
I mean lets face it. They both have their advantages under different circumstances.
Personally, I think A/T's get a bad rap because women would prefer a car with an auto tranny cause they're "easier to drive" and men prefer 5-speeds cause they feel more like a "sports car".

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4103 Previous topic | Next topic