Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4011
View in linear mode

Subject: "radiator fan not on at idle" Previous topic | Next topic
EcLIpsInEmCEe7Dec-18-03 12:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1607 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4011, "radiator fan not on at idle"

i noticed my car was overheating at idle, popped the hood and one of the fans was not spinning. the thermostat goes back to normal when i drive, its just the overheating only happens at idle. is the radiator goin bye bye or what? TIA

this fuckin sux cause i have to drive 400 miles north and i cant stay down here cause the dorm are closin. am i cool to drive since it only happens at idle

-matt

97 Eclipse GS-T with 6-bolt engine

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Diceman19Dec-18-03 02:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4012, "RE: radiator fan not on at idle"
In response to Reply # 0

i believe your thermostat is shot. replace it. the fans will not just run at idle. they are supposed to run at certain temps. if your thermostat is not working right, they wont know when to turn on, thus overheat. more comments?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EcLIpsInEmCEe7Dec-18-03 02:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1607 posts,
#4013, "RE: radiator fan not on at idle"
In response to Reply # 1
Dec-18-03 02:55 PM by EcLIpsInEmCEe7

ok, yea i called my mechanic up north and he said the same thing. now both fans turn on like theyre supposed to when i turn on the AC. im still a little unclear on whether or not i can drive home, im guessing no since the thermostat is shot.

blah nm , looks ill have to replace the thermostat.

-matt

97 Eclipse GS-T with 6-bolt engine

Diceman19Dec-18-03 04:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#4014, "RE: radiator fan not on at idle"
In response to Reply # 2

when the ac is on, both fans will be on. that is how the system is designed. just replace the thermostat, you should be set.

98TalonDec-19-03 06:47 AM
Member since Apr 22nd 2002
1096 posts,
#4015, "RE: radiator fan not on at idle"
In response to Reply # 3

just take the thermostat out and drive it without it. Your car has never run so cool! BTW, on 1g 4G63's, the Thermostat doesn't tell the fans when to come on, this little sensor thing does that screws into the side of the thermostat housing. A thermostat can't tell anything, it's just a mechanical spring that opens once it reaches a certain temperature.

1990 Eclipse GS-T

Diceman19Dec-19-03 08:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#4016, "RE: radiator fan not on at idle"
In response to Reply # 4

same difference though....

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4011 Previous topic | Next topic