Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3981
View in linear mode

Subject: "Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks" Previous topic | Next topic
TXTurboGSDec-19-03 10:09 PM
Member since Sep 29th 2003
333 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3981, "Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks"
Dec-19-03 10:14 PM by TXTurboGS

Currently I own a 97 GS with a turbo kit. It recently made 299.6 WHP at 16 psi with a S16G. I've been having some problems with the car in its electrical system. I've invested so much time and money in this car, but I won't be able to drive it daily. With the money I put into this 420A engine (parts and labor) I could well be on the 11's on a 4g I guess.

I will probably sell it after some thousand miles on it (if I ever get it to run right, LOL). I love DSMs and I would like to continue owning one, like a 98 or 99 GSX. I am not familiar with the 4g63 and I was wondering if some of you guys that know the 4g could guide me a little as to what to expect from the engine and some aftermarket improvements.

Eventually I would like to be in the 12's and still be able to drive it daily and make a 300 mile trip with no incident. There are just so many parts and turbos for this engine that I do not know what to get or not My spending limit on parts and labor is around $7k and I say this because it took more than that to build my current GS and I don't want to go crazy like I did with my car.

Sorry for the long post. I tried registering on dsmtalk but no new members are allowed. Thanks for the hel

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks, Diceman19, Dec-20-03 05:40 AM, #1
RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-20-03 06:26 AM, #2
      RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks, TeamJeff_99gs, Dec-20-03 10:06 AM, #3
           RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks, TXTurboGS, Dec-20-03 01:32 PM, #4
                RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks, TeamJeff_99gs, Dec-20-03 01:36 PM, #5
                     RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks, TXTurboGS, Dec-20-03 02:30 PM, #6
                          RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks, Initial DSM, Dec-23-03 07:09 PM, #7
                               RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks, ZadensDSM, Dec-24-03 11:43 AM, #8
                                    RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks, TXTurboGS, Dec-24-03 08:38 PM, #9
                                         RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks, TeamJeff_99gs, Dec-26-03 05:26 AM, #10
                                              RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks, TXTurboGS, Dec-26-03 09:54 AM, #11

Diceman19Dec-20-03 05:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3982, "RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks"
In response to Reply # 0

you will want to rewire the fuel pump and do some fuel mods, then you can turn the boost up a little bit. the 4g63 can be reliable, probly even with 12's. i dont have much info that you want cuz i have a 1g but there are some good 2gT guys here that can help.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-20-03 06:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3983, "RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks"
In response to Reply # 1

Most of the major vendors as well as VFAQ have "mod stages" that wll tell you what to do and approx. how many ponies you'll have gained. Most products have reviews so you'll just have to do your homework and see whats best for you.
Pretty much anything from the big 4G places (buschur, RRE, Extreme MS, Turbotrix...) will be tried and true, quality stuff.
Some places are more expensive than others too so shop around when you buy stuff.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

TeamJeff_99gsDec-20-03 10:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#3984, "RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks"
In response to Reply # 2

Woah 7k for mods on a 4g63? You'll be reliably in the 11s.

What exactly do you want to know? Can it be done? Sure. A 98 or 99 AWD can easily be a 12 second daily driver.

Are there any specific things you are trying to do with the car?

TXTurboGSDec-20-03 01:32 PM
333 posts,
#3985, "RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks"
In response to Reply # 3

Specifics? Hmmm. I hardly know anything about the 4g and the massive ammounts of aftermarket parts available for it. Logic tells me to go with the more expensive parts like HKS and Greddy since they have invested time and money into investigating their parts. I saw Greddy's turbo kit, but a 18g is a bit small (or not?). I guess I want to put 400WHP and try to make 12's or 11's. My car (97 GS) and it sure is not a daily driver at a mere 300WHP. I want to be able to cruise along and drive 300 to 400 miles safely.

I was looking into some of Bushur racing's parts and they look good. I also saw a bad ass site that sells 6 bolt 4g's that are cryogenically (sp?) treated and they build the complete longblock for about 5k or more (Fast Foward it is called). Then again, I do not need to rebuild a 4g for about 400whp right? I'll try to get a decent mileage car as stock as possible and take it from there.

I've been reading somewhat these past two days on the paths to follow, but I'm still very confused as to what engine components to get and fuel components too. There are many paths I know, but if you could help me out, it would greatly reduce my chances of failure. Thanks

TeamJeff_99gsDec-20-03 01:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#3986, "RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks"
In response to Reply # 4

No, do NOT get the Greddy or HKS crap. WAY overpriced. Stick to good old US made parts

Buschur, Road Race, Forced Performance, etc, all make great quality parts that work just as good as the HK$ and Greedy stuff, but a lot cheaper

TXTurboGSDec-20-03 02:30 PM
333 posts,
#3987, "RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks"
In response to Reply # 5

LOL! I thought so too. I would like to purchase one of those 6 bolt longblocks from FFWD eventually.

What would be your wishlist like if you had 7k to 10k to put into a car? Not necesarlly spend all the money, but to make good use of it on upgraded tranny, brakes, fuel components upgrade, turbo, upgraded differential, etc.

Thanks for the help

PS: I guess what I'm trying to say is "Help me build my car" or "Guide me please"

Initial DSMDec-23-03 07:09 PM
Member since Sep 23rd 2003
2833 posts,
#3988, "RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks"
In response to Reply # 6

if you get a 2G , def get a 6 bolt 4G63 block and swap it in. Now if you can find a 6 bolt 4G64 block(rare) , you'd def get style points on that cause that is actualy a new idea in modding for those cars (its off a late model Galant 2.4L). Magnus already sells this, but theyre price is kinda high (around 4k), but I spoke to Marco over there, and he says those engines are perfect for spooling huge turbos you'd normally have to use nitrous with to get the full power out of.

As far as electronics, DSMlink is the cheapest and most respected piggy back for the 2G's beside the stand alones. its usually like 600. That or you can get a GM MAS with MAS translator and you wont have as bad idle issues as you would with an AFC with hacked MAS. If you would get a stand alone, I'd suggest the new Haltech one, Ive heard good things about them; not so good things about AEM..

Also both these would allow you to vent the bov to atmosphere with out the car running like crap.

As far as turbos go, FPgreen is really nice, so's 60-1 and even the 20g could get you in the high 11's if tuned right.

ZadensDSMDec-24-03 11:43 AM
Member since Aug 18th 2003
175 posts,
#3989, "RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks"
In response to Reply # 7

sorry for the jack (specially since i dont even own a 4g motor... lol)
while we're on the subject of vendors, does anyone happen to have the magnus manifold? just wondering if it actually puts out 50 or whatever horsepower they claim (granted that was on a pretty heavily modded engine...)

just wondering thats all
flame if you wish

reppin the nasty 'nati

TXTurboGSDec-24-03 08:38 PM
333 posts,
#3990, "RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks"
In response to Reply # 8

Basically Í'm trying to build a car that is reliable for daily usage and powerfull enough to be in the 11's or 12's with some good driving.

A fast spooling turbo is not a must, so a FP Green. I can live without instant spool or the use of nitrous. I am still confused on what injectors to run safely, get an ok idle and get relativly good fuel economy staying out of boost (150 miles or so per tank is fine). Is it impossible? I am running 440cc injectors with my 2gnt and am running a S16G and I spool too easy and spin tires at 3k RPM and my fuel economy sucks!!

Here is a wish list to make my car run.

3" Apex N1 exhaust
RRE or Bushur Racing DP 2.5" or 3"
EVO 3 exhaust manifold or is there a better one?
FP Green turbo (this can wait until I get used to the 1st mods)
Tial Waste Gate
Injen Intake system
Greddy Upper and Lower IC pipes
Greddy or HKS BOV
Big Greddy FMIC
Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump
550cc injectors or 660cc
Extrude Hone intake manifold
HKS cams 264/272 combo
Greddy Profec B II Boost controller (I have that in my 2gnt)
Possibly Greddy Emanage since I have it in my 2gnt or what other should I use?
FJO Wideband O2 sensor with the LED display
Autometer EGT, Oil Temp, fuel preassure, boost
Quaife LSD
Tein Flex coilovers
Stoptech big brakes

Anyway, I am guiding myself on the mod list of Road Race Engeneering web site. It seems logic. My list goes on and on. I will algo purchase a Fastfoward connection longblock later on when I buy the bigger turbo. For now I guess the basic mods until I get used to it. I dont want to throw all the money at once and have multiple problems with the thing like I have right now on my 2gnt.

so what should be done first besides the exhaust that does not need dyno tunning? Thanks for the help. Merry Christmas

TeamJeff_99gsDec-26-03 05:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#3991, "RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks"
In response to Reply # 9

150 miles per tank? I get 450 on the highway in my 12 second Talon.

Injectors: 650 disc from FP are $410. Get them at the same time as your Green and you get the shipping free

There are actually cheaper turbos on the market that are just as good as the Green now. Precision Turbo makes some great cheap turbos. (the same ones AGP sells but for a fraction of the cost.)

Other than that, go with the basic performance upgrade path and you will be great. Check out my website to see my list of mods. Basically follow that and you will be easily in the 12's. My car would be in the 11's if it weren't for a broken tranny, still daily driven.

A TRE or Shepherd tranny is a MUST!!!

TXTurboGSDec-26-03 09:54 AM
333 posts,
#3992, "RE: Interested in the 4g63, need some help please....thanks"
In response to Reply # 10

WHAT!! 450 miles!? You just made my day my friend Man, I can run 100 miles with 2gnt with a full tank and a S16G. I am running way too damn rich for my liking. That car has got to go! NOW!

I tried looking at in dsmtalk.com and some of the peoples car there but I cannot read their profile since I am not a member. In any case. Thanks for the help

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3981 Previous topic | Next topic