Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3151
View in linear mode

Subject: "blinky blink guage question" Previous topic | Next topic
420a-TnthewerksAug-14-04 03:03 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3151, "blinky blink guage question"

is there an O2 wire to tap into on a 2g like vfaq.com has it pictured? i can't find it if there is. or do you HAVE to tap into the ecu?

any picture or detailed description of where to tap besides the ecu would be appreciated if it exists.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: blinky blink guage question, Diceman19, Aug-14-04 04:56 PM, #1
RE: blinky blink guage question, ModeratoreclipzGST, Aug-14-04 05:00 PM, #2
      RE: blinky blink guage question, Vandy420a, Aug-14-04 06:08 PM, #3
           RE: blinky blink guage question, 420a-Tnthewerks, Aug-14-04 07:53 PM, #4
                RE: blinky blink guage question, Vandy420a, Aug-15-04 06:40 AM, #5
                     RE: blinky blink guage question, 420a-Tnthewerks, Aug-15-04 12:05 PM, #6
                          RE: blinky blink guage question, Vandy420a, Aug-16-04 09:02 AM, #7
                               RE: blinky blink guage question, 420a-Tnthewerks, Aug-16-04 09:49 AM, #8
                                    RE: blinky blink guage question, Vandy420a, Aug-16-04 10:11 AM, #9
                                         RE: blinky blink guage question, 420a-Tnthewerks, Aug-16-04 10:30 AM, #10
                                              RE: blinky blink guage question, Diceman19, Aug-16-04 12:12 PM, #11
                                              RE: blinky blink guage question, HybriDSM, Aug-16-04 05:10 PM, #12
                                              RE: blinky blink guage question, Vandy420a, Aug-16-04 08:41 PM, #13
                                                   RE: blinky blink guage question, 420a-Tnthewerks, Aug-16-04 09:03 PM, #14
                                                        RE: blinky blink guage question, 420a-Tnthewerks, Aug-18-04 03:04 PM, #15
                                                             RE: blinky blink guage question, Vandy420a, Aug-20-04 07:24 AM, #16

Diceman19Aug-14-04 04:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3152, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 0

yes there is a wire you have to tap, on a 2g i dont know what it is, but i could point it out on a 1g. just search google for a 2g ecu diagram. it will have all the wires labeled for you so you dont have to guess before you splice.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTAug-14-04 05:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3153, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 1
Aug-14-04 05:04 PM by eclipzGST

It would be the wire going to #76 pin on the harness listed here:
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ecu-harness-2G.html
I forgot the color of the wire but it's easy to find cause it's right in the middle of the 2nd largest plug by the release button for the harness

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Vandy420aAug-14-04 06:08 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#3154, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 2

its black wiht a yellow stripe, if i remember correctly....

DEFINITELY dont' quote me on that one, though

tapping the ECU is not that big of a deal, just uncomfortable to lay under...

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

420a-TnthewerksAug-14-04 07:53 PM
2267 posts,
#3155, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 3

OMG this is really pissin me off!! i can't find my fuggin solder. i was using it last night when i put all my guages in my car(i just didn't hook up the egt probe or the O2 sensor up beacuse it was REALLY late)

i just had to come inside to vent for awhile i'm goin back out in a few to look for it again. hopefully i can get it all hooked up tonight.

oh and it's a pure white wire.

Vandy420aAug-15-04 06:40 AM
2037 posts,
#3156, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 4
Aug-15-04 06:40 AM by Vandy420a

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
oh and it's a pure white wire.

DAMN!

420a-TnthewerksAug-15-04 12:05 PM
2267 posts,
#3157, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 5

well i got it hooked up, but a couple of questions:

1. is it supposed to stay on while the car is off? it constantly shows the last lean light when the key is out and makes noises and i can hear clicking in the engine bay, probably coming from the O2 sensor.

2. when i'm at WOT it shows so lean that no lights show up, shouldn't it read rich?

3. vandy, i think i remember your battery and brake lights would come on sometimes. well mine did that and the car died after i had it at WOT. was it your alternator?

TIA

Vandy420aAug-16-04 09:02 AM
2037 posts,
#3158, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 6
Aug-16-04 09:03 AM by Vandy420a

yeah it was my alternator. the guage is NOT supposed to stay on with the car off, but as for it showing lean or rich, i'm not sure what to tell you other than they aren't very accurate---

the ebrake/batt thing will continue to get worse, but for right now your alternator is probably still fine...

I could probably be still driving on my bad alternator up until this summer---

edit: which wires are you taking power from for the guage?

420a-TnthewerksAug-16-04 09:49 AM
2267 posts,
#3159, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Vandy420a
edit: which wires are you taking power from for the guage?

i have all three quages hooked up to the TT power wire. everything else shuts off but the A/F guage still reads from the sensor. i don't know what the hell is wrong.

Vandy420aAug-16-04 10:11 AM
2037 posts,
#3160, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 8

which TT power wire? What color was it? You may have either a) hooked it up to constant or b) hooked it up to a wire that recieves power when the TT is running.

Does the guage have power when the car is running from the turbo timer? (thats normal)

Make sure its tapped to either the blue or green wire under the steering console for switched power, or you can use the cigarette ligher if its closer/looks cleaner....

what kind of A/F guage is it?

420a-TnthewerksAug-16-04 10:30 AM
2267 posts,
#3161, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 9

damn, i knew i was hooking it up wrong. i have it on the red wire from the TT harness. so it should be on the green huh.

the guage is an autometer cobalt. the boost and egt wouldn't matter if they were hooked up to the red constant power would they?

Diceman19Aug-16-04 12:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#3162, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 10

well, in theory, if all the guages were hooked to the same power wire, they should all either stay on or off, but you know how cars are, so that statement could be completely wrong, i had my guages plugged into the constant on my TT harness, it killed my battery until i had a chance to fix it. it is still sitting in the garage as we speak, although the shootout and matt's car makes me want to go work on it.

HybriDSMAug-16-04 05:10 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#3163, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Diceman19
well, in theory, if all the guages were hooked to the same power wire, they should all either stay on or off, but you know how cars are, so that statement could be completely wrong, i had my guages plugged into the constant on my TT harness, it killed my battery until i had a chance to fix it. it is still sitting in the garage as we speak, although the shootout and matt's car makes me want to go work on it.

Thanks dood. (Good seeing you again by the way. Hopefully your GF didn't hate the car thing too much and maybe she even caught the bug a little )

My take on it is this. Get rid of the AF gauge and replace it with something worthwhile, like EGT, or anything else. I know it's a stupid answer, but you really get nothing of worth out of that gauge.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Vandy420aAug-16-04 08:41 PM
2037 posts,
#3164, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
the boost and egt wouldn't matter if they were hooked up to the red constant power would they?

depends on which wire, but you probably want to switch them. The way to tell if they are sucking power is if your boost guage reads "0" when the car is off-- the needle should just fall to the bottom peg (maximum vac), not read anything.

how do the cobalt guages look? they always looked neeto in the magazines, but I've never seen them in a DSM...

also, replace your batt with a friend's that you know is sound, and see if the light goes away. the ebrake/batt thing is usually a sign of the voltage regulator inside the alternator, but if your batt is drained, it could be that too.

420a-TnthewerksAug-16-04 09:03 PM
2267 posts,
#3165, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 13

damn again. the boost does read 0.

i think the battery's fine becuase it starts up perfectly every morning even though the guages have been on all night. the batt/brake light only came on one time right after installing everything. it hasn't happened since then. maybe the alternater just freaked out becuase it had to supply a lot more power all of a sudden i'll just have to wait.

and i'll get some day/night pics up tomorrow for ya

thanks

420a-TnthewerksAug-18-04 03:04 PM
2267 posts,
#3166, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 14

i just posted pics at http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=76080&mode=full

Vandy420aAug-20-04 07:24 AM
2037 posts,
#3167, "RE: blinky blink guage question"
In response to Reply # 15

looks good! Congrats on the guages!

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3151 Previous topic | Next topic