Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #2628
View in linear mode

Subject: "1g into 2g Swap" Previous topic | Next topic
RST95eclipseJan-28-05 08:35 PM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2628, "1g into 2g Swap"

I need some more info on swapping a 6 bolt into a 2g along with A/T into M/T. It's a 95 GSX Auto. What I have is that the rear end is somehow geared differently. It's not a transaxle, so is it in the differential? I know that the ECU/TCU needs to be swapped out for M/T (needs to be ECU for 1g or 95 M/T??). Is there any way that I can make the 1g M/T work in the 2g? Mounts to the tranny are different from what I've read. Is there anyway that something could be fabbed up to make it work, if so what? Tranny comes with the motor, so that's why I ask.

Story is: bottom end needs to go. I want a 6 bolt for reliability. I also want the 1g head b/c of bigger valves, plus it comes with the better intake manifold, turbo, and TB. I want a M/T just because I couldn't drive a fast car without being the one in charge. I want this to be done right the first time. So if I'm being a dumbass with my info, let me know and correct me. (except for anything after "story is")

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 1g into 2g Swap, Vandy420a, Jan-28-05 09:16 PM, #1
RE: 1g into 2g Swap, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-29-05 05:24 AM, #2
      RE: 1g into 2g Swap, RST95eclipse, Jan-29-05 06:55 AM, #3
           RE: 1g into 2g Swap, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jan-30-05 06:01 AM, #4
                RE: 1g into 2g Swap, RST95eclipse, Feb-03-05 05:16 PM, #5
                     RE: 1g into 2g Swap, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-05-05 06:32 AM, #6
                          RE: 1g into 2g Swap, theallpowerfulme, Feb-05-05 09:26 AM, #7
                               RE: 1g into 2g Swap, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-05-05 12:26 PM, #8
                                    RE: 1g into 2g Swap, RST95eclipse, Feb-06-05 05:48 AM, #9
                                         RE: 1g into 2g Swap, theallpowerfulme, Feb-07-05 07:59 AM, #10
                                              RE: 1g into 2g Swap, RST95eclipse, Feb-07-05 08:33 AM, #11
                                                   RE: 1g into 2g Swap, HybriDSM, Feb-07-05 11:28 AM, #12
                                                        RE: 1g into 2g Swap, RST95eclipse, Feb-07-05 05:25 PM, #13
                                                             RE: 1g into 2g Swap, RST95eclipse, Feb-15-05 02:03 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: 1g into 2g Swap, theallpowerfulme, Feb-19-05 04:16 PM, #15
                                                                       RE: 1g into 2g Swap, SilverBullet20g, Feb-19-05 04:19 PM, #16
                                                                            RE: 1g into 2g Swap, RST95eclipse, Feb-19-05 07:38 PM, #17

Vandy420aJan-28-05 09:16 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2629, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-28-05 09:18 PM by Vandy420a

as for the 1g intake manifold being better, its really not, unless you get the true "cyclone" manifold, and its really not worth the hassle for the low end torque (in my humble opinion).

I've heard from many sources that the 6 bolt engine with tranny swap is an absolute bitch, but beyond that, i haven't heard exactly why. Have you read up on VFAQ.com yet?

edit: n/m, there's nothing on vfaq...my fault

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamJeff_99gsJan-29-05 05:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#2630, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 1

Well the 1g intake manifold has larger diameter runners to match the larger intake ports on the 1g head. It also has a 60mm opening for the throttle body. Stock for stock, the 1g outflows the 2g intake manifold. Once properly ported though, the 2g actually has increased airflow over the 1g.

To be honest, doing a 7 bolt to 6 bolt swap is silly with an automatic to manual swap. It just isn't worth it. I talked to a guy who did it on his 2g talon a few years ago at the shootout and he said it was probably the dumbest thing he has ever done and he regretted it 100%. It cost a ton of money and in the long run really did nothing for the car.

Why are you so insistent on getting rid of the 7 bolt?

RST95eclipseJan-29-05 06:55 AM
403 posts,
#2631, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 2

The 7 bolt block on there needs new crankshaft, bearings, rods. I just want a 6 bolt block for reliability issues. Bigger rods are always a plus once I start modding. I know it's gonna be a bitch. Most of the guys out there say it's not worth it, but I just can't drive an auto. Would the 1g tranny work with the 6 bolt swap or do I need a 2g tranny? I've read of guys with 6 bolt w/ 2g transmission. Could I make the 1g tranny work?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJan-30-05 06:01 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#2632, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 3

For the 1g into a 2g you will need the 95 ECU mtx if you swap that.

I have just finished the same swap this past summer on another car, wasnt as much fun as i thought it would be. Too much hassel for what it was worth. You need to download the wiring diagram from RRE or magus for the CAS, that needs to be wired perfect and soldered, dont cut corners here it will bite you in the butt. The map sensor needs to be custom install, really not a big deal though. 1g coil/transistor pack is easier, 2g coil asy will require swapping a coupe plug wires if i recall. 2g exhaust mani is a worth while choice although a ported 1g is just as good IMO.

The 1g trans is a no go, not practical for the work involved, just build the 2g trans.

This is not a swap i would choose after doing it. I would take the 7 bolt, have a machine shop relocate the oil squirters to the oil valley like the 6bolt (not necassary in most cases,just preventative). 6 bolts rods, 2g pistons, 1g head, 1g intake, 2 exhaust mani, choose your turbo, 2g trans sent to shepard, and Balence shaft removal.

Which ever way you go is up to you, good luck with it.

Terry

RST95eclipseFeb-03-05 05:16 PM
403 posts,
#2633, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 4

Did you do the entire engine swap or just the bottom end? Also, how did you get the tranny to bolt up to the engine (tranny match up by luck)? There's a spline count that needs to match up.

I know it's work, but I think it will have a huge payoff. It means no nevermind to me, just as long as it runs come May.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-05-05 06:32 AM
8331 posts,
#2634, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 5

I swapped the entire motor. I had a 6bolt out of a car that was in an accident. Thre motor mated to a 2g trans. if your referring to the spline counts on the axles thwen obviously we didnt need to match them at all. If your asking which clutch i used, then i will need to get back to you on that. I left the clutch choice to the owner of the car. Either way just buy the type of clutch you want. ACT is most popular.

Terry

theallpowerfulmeFeb-05-05 09:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#2635, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 6

Alrighty, well the rear-end gear ratio is different on an AT 2g vs a MT 2g. All the normal 6bolt in a 2g rules apply when swapping the motor and you will HAVE to get the rear chunk out of a manual 2g AWD car. Good luck, I am attempting something similar right now.

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-05-05 12:26 PM
8331 posts,
#2636, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 7

Ok i misunderstood what you were looking at. For matching the rear and front you will need the same spline differential and trans/trnasfer case (Aim for the same year). I didnt convert the one i did to AWD so i cant tell you the differences in years. Actually Jeff knows that really well i think.

Do you know the year that the motor you have came out of? LSD?

Terry

RST95eclipseFeb-06-05 05:48 AM
403 posts,
#2637, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 8

I haven't bought the motor nor the car yet. I'm going up to the cities to pick it up next weekend. I have to do this in steps, otherwise I might be stuck with an engine without a car. Right now, it looks like I'm gonna slap on the tranny that's in it now, and do a manual conversion in the future. It just really depends on a bunch of factors. My gf wants it auto, I want it stick. So maybe I'll give in and let her have at it for a bit and then switch over. I just can't put up with not shifting. So is it just the differential that needs to be swapped out? No new driveshaft needed, ect.?

theallpowerfulmeFeb-07-05 07:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#2638, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 9

The driveshafts should be the same (I would measure, but the one out of the AT AWD car is bent like a pretzel ). Also the rear sub-frames should be the same, after doing the six-bolt swap the only things that need to happen to convert it to manual should be the MT tranny/transfer case (I believe the xfer case is different form AT to MT) and the rear chunk (along with clutch master cylinder, clutch pedal, etc).

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

RST95eclipseFeb-07-05 08:33 AM
403 posts,
#2639, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 10

So what's this about the rear end being different? The transfer case is bolted to the tranny housing. Nothing in the rear end should be swapped out. It would just be silly if they had a different diff/axle. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

HybriDSMFeb-07-05 11:28 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#2640, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by RST95eclipse
So what's this about the rear end being different? The transfer case is bolted to the tranny housing. Nothing in the rear end should be swapped out. It would just be silly if they had a different diff/axle. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The rear end ratio is different. If you don't match the right diffs, you'll chew the diff up and ruin the rear end.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

RST95eclipseFeb-07-05 05:25 PM
403 posts,
#2641, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 12

Thanks. It took me 2 posts from peeps and talking on the cell to a friend to get it straight. I'm a visual learner, and if I don't see it in my head, then I'll have no clue what ppl are talking about. Help is greatly appreciated.

RST95eclipseFeb-15-05 02:03 PM
403 posts,
#2642, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 13

I know that I'm resurrecting this post, but does Shepard crygenically freeze the tranny parts to rebuild?? Also, would it be in my best interest to also cryo freeze the crank, rods, and pistons??

I've read in the forum and done searches on cryo freezing. Only came up with 1 post that covered it, semi.

theallpowerfulmeFeb-19-05 04:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#2643, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 14

cryo freezing is offered, people go both ways on this good and bad

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

SilverBullet20gFeb-19-05 04:19 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2004
558 posts,
#2644, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 15

www.cryoscience.com

They have good info...

(parting out 95 GS)

RST95eclipseFeb-19-05 07:38 PM
403 posts,
#2645, "RE: 1g into 2g Swap"
In response to Reply # 16

That's some good info. Thanks. Definately look into this.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #2628 Previous topic | Next topic