Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1953
View in linear mode

Subject: "Questions about emissions" Previous topic | Next topic
BMPDirkJun-17-05 04:07 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1953, "Questions about emissions"

1. Since i have a 99, when i go to emissions testing they just hook up their computer to my ecu plug under the steering wheel and in like 30 seconds its done. To tell you the truth i cant even remember if they turn the car on. Anyway, with my DSMLink and 95 ecu, will they still be able to hook it up to that plug..or will they have to put my car on the rollers?

2. Will a walbro 255(low pressure) pass emissions? I was told it would not but i dont understand why.

3. My dad told me that if i put rubbing alcohal in a tank with little gas that i would lower my emissions big time. Anyone tried this or no if its true?

4. Alot of people have said they passed emissions with cams, big turbo, 660cc injectors, etc etc....but if they just hook up the comp to the plug in my car, do i have to even worry about this? if the car is tuned right it should pass correct? I guess my only worry is that since the car will have a 95 ecu that they will have to put it on the rollers.

Anyway, any info would help, thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Questions about emissions, SILVERNT, Jun-17-05 04:30 AM, #1
RE: Questions about emissions, BMPDirk, Jun-17-05 04:45 AM, #2
      RE: Questions about emissions, BigBald, Jun-17-05 05:33 AM, #3
           RE: Questions about emissions, Vandy420a, Jun-17-05 07:53 AM, #4
                RE: Questions about emissions, FlyinEsi, Jun-17-05 09:18 AM, #5
RE: Questions about emissions, thedawg, Jun-17-05 11:41 AM, #6
RE: Questions about emissions, Dualgen2, Jun-19-05 09:59 AM, #7

SILVERNTJun-17-05 04:30 AM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1954, "RE: Questions about emissions"
In response to Reply # 0

in IL, on 96+ OBD2 compliant vehicles if the OBD2 port is non-operational, the Vehicle will be issued an automatic FAIL. Smog test is for 1995 and older OBD1

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BMPDirkJun-17-05 04:45 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#1955, "RE: Questions about emissions"
In response to Reply # 1
Jun-17-05 04:45 AM by BMPDirk

so that means i would have to put the 99 ecu back in correct....along with the stock injectors. Could i leave the walbro in?

BigBaldJun-17-05 05:33 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#1956, "RE: Questions about emissions"
In response to Reply # 2

no that just means make sure you have no trouble codes and make sure it can connect with your ECU. You can pass Emissions with DSMlink.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

Vandy420aJun-17-05 07:53 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#1957, "RE: Questions about emissions"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by BigBald
no that just means make sure you have no trouble codes and make sure it can connect with your ECU. You can pass Emissions with DSMlink.

make sure you have a cat or something that looks like one though, they check that with mirrors. Also don't reset your ecu right before you go, you'll have to go back and do it again. As long as you have no trouble codes, you're fine. Gotta love OBDII!!!

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

FlyinEsiJun-17-05 09:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#1958, "RE: Questions about emissions"
In response to Reply # 4

You'll pass just fine. I passed with 550 injectors, running lean as all hell. They don't sniff or anything, didn't even look with mirrors on my car, DSMlink had no problems.

Before I went in, I walked in and told the guy I had an aftermarket ECU on my eclipse, and even the Mitsu dealership couldn't plug into it. He says their machines are a lot better, but if it can't read it I will have to replace it.

Read just fine...passed...$26.50, thank you very much.

Gonna try it again in 1.5 years with no cat and see what happens.

thedawgJun-17-05 11:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#1959, "RE: Questions about emissions"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by BMPDirk
3. My dad told me that if i put rubbing alcohal in a tank with little gas that i would lower my emissions big time. Anyone tried this or no if its true?

Rubbing alcohol is 70% isopropanol and 30% water. Isopropanol burns really poorly, gives off tons of smoke, and the water does not combust or compress. You'd be killing your engine or cat by doing this IMO.

What I'm sure he meant to say was to use pure grain alcohol (ethanol) like Everclear, which burns with very few emissions.

Emissions don't matter at all though, unless you're getting a probe stuck in your tailpipe with the engine running.

Dualgen2Jun-19-05 09:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3726 posts,
#1960, "RE: Questions about emissions"
In response to Reply # 6

Just go see if you pass before you take anything off. Worst comes to worst you pay another $14 or whatever it is. Just got my emissions stuff Friday so I gotta do that to before I get rid of all my cats and put on the downpipe.
-Dave

2009 Corolla S - waiting until 2012 for my next toy!
*SOLD* 1992 3000GT VR4 - pearl white and 45,6xx miles!
*SOLD* 2007 Subaru Legacy GT sedan
*SOLD* 95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - BPU
*SOLD* 97 Eclipse GS Star Stage 2

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1953 Previous topic | Next topic