Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 5 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1944
View in linear mode

Subject: "question about shops for rebuild" Previous topic | Next topic
import1996rsJun-19-05 07:49 AM
Member since Jun 06th 2004
277 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1944, "question about shops for rebuild"

ok well ive been looking and may have found a good deal on a first gen. only thing is it needs a rebuild because the ac belt came off and took out the timing belt. guy says most likly just needs new valves and what not, but if it needs rebuilt might as well do it right while its off and give it some fresh parts and beaf it up a little. my question is does anyone in the maryland area know of a good place to do the work and that has quick turn around time? id like to get it driving in a week or two after i get it. thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: question about shops for rebuild, TeamJeff_99gs, Jun-20-05 08:12 AM, #1
RE: question about shops for rebuild, import1996rs, Jun-20-05 10:33 AM, #2
      RE: question about shops for rebuild, Vandy420a, Jun-20-05 10:47 AM, #3
           RE: question about shops for rebuild, import1996rs, Jun-20-05 10:57 AM, #4
                RE: question about shops for rebuild, Vandy420a, Jun-20-05 11:05 AM, #5
                     RE: question about shops for rebuild, HybriDSM, Jun-20-05 01:23 PM, #6
                     RE: question about shops for rebuild, BigBald, Jun-20-05 01:25 PM, #7
                          RE: question about shops for rebuild, Vandy420a, Jun-20-05 01:42 PM, #8

TeamJeff_99gsJun-20-05 08:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1945, "RE: question about shops for rebuild"
In response to Reply # 0
Jun-20-05 08:13 AM by Jeff_99gs

The A/C belt coming off can in no way get caught in the timing belt. The guy is lying to you. (Unless there was no timing belt cover at all, in which case the guy deserved having his engine destroyed.)

That being said, your best bet for 1-2 weeks of turnaround would be calling Extreme Motorsports or Mach V and seeing who they recommend. Chances are you will pay double or triple what you would normally be charged for a rush job like that.

Where in MD are you?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

import1996rsJun-20-05 10:33 AM
277 posts,
#1946, "RE: question about shops for rebuild"
In response to Reply # 1

im right outside of frederick. how hard would it be to bring it to a machine shop and rebuild myself. i have experance working on cars as does a good friend of mine but ive never rebuild a head before.

Vandy420aJun-20-05 10:47 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#1947, "RE: question about shops for rebuild"
In response to Reply # 2

If you really wanna do it yourself, have at it! It'll be a great way to learn your car. Heads are tricky, but they're not that bad. You still will need a good machine shop to bore the cylinders as well as deck the head.

Just remember that when building an engine, ESP a high rev-forced induction application, cleanliness and precision are next to godliness...

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

import1996rsJun-20-05 10:57 AM
277 posts,
#1948, "RE: question about shops for rebuild"
In response to Reply # 3

how would you compare it to doing this such as turbo kits and things? alot harder? i know a good amount of stuff about cars, just never had a chance to mess with a head or block myself.

Vandy420aJun-20-05 11:05 AM
2037 posts,
#1949, "RE: question about shops for rebuild"
In response to Reply # 4
Jun-20-05 11:05 AM by Vandy420a

I wouldn't do it yourself then. I've rebuilt a VW bus engine and worked on several bikes torn apart, but i'm not sure i'd be ready to tackle my 4g63 just yet. A turbo kit is MUCH easier than rebuilding a block. Its all pretty much bolt on vs. actually having to measure precisely. The hardest thing with a turbo kit or swap is getting the old bolts off and the new stuff to fit...

but if you have the time and patience, do it! The amount you'll learn from it is well worth it!

HybriDSMJun-20-05 01:23 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#1950, "RE: question about shops for rebuild"
In response to Reply # 5

I just had my engine rebuilt but did not assemble the block or head myself. I had a shop in Westminster machine and assemble the engine components. They turned everything around in 6 weeks or so. Since it is summer, their work load will be backed up to high heaven.

For reference, Jeff99GS and I (Jeff moreso than I by far) have basically done everything on a DSM that can be done, but we thought it more prudent to allow someone else to put in forged internals. I personally didn't want my first experience rebuilding an engine to be with beefed up components and all of their associated costs (much more to lose with a mistake), and if you are thinking of doing the same thing (built engine), I'd let a shop do it.

If you are going stock again, I'd give it a try, but be extremely meticulous. This kind of work will have no margin for error compared to the bolt on stuff. Just get a FSM and make sure you have all the clearances perfect.

Good luck MD buddy.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

BigBaldJun-20-05 01:25 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#1951, "RE: question about shops for rebuild"
In response to Reply # 5

www.jacksonautomachine.com

They are doing my bottom end.....taking my head to Mitsu Graveyard.....

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

Vandy420aJun-20-05 01:42 PM
2037 posts,
#1952, "RE: question about shops for rebuild"
In response to Reply # 7

wow they're really nice (JAM), but pretty expensive....it seems like you could buy an entire longblock for $3k...

although slowboy racing is about the same, and they charge an extra $100 if you want it in 7bolt...

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1944 Previous topic | Next topic