Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1493
View in linear mode

Subject: "FMIC or wideband" Previous topic | Next topic
sd240Sep-08-05 05:39 PM
Member since May 25th 2003
298 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1493, "FMIC or wideband"

Ok I'm in dire need of any input on what to get next. I currently have a 93 tsi awd with 6 bolt, 650 injectors, safc I, 255 walbro, stage 3 dsmchip, k&n, boost gauge, egt gauge, mbc, pocketlogger with mmcd, and apexi n1 downpipe and catback; so in your opinions what should I get next a fmic or a wideband O2? now that I think about it I have a gm maf but I still need the translator, but I'll need the fmic with hard piping before I can put that in. So what do you all think? Or if you think I need something else please let me know, these just seem to be the two things I've been debating right now, Thanks.

93 Tsi AWD-SAFC I, Apexi N1 turbo back, MBC, K&N w/ hacked can,
Walbro 255, Accel wires, 650cc injectors, stage 3 dsmchip

97 Neon ACR-Stock

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: FMIC or wideband, ModeratoreclipzGST, Sep-08-05 08:05 PM, #1
RE: FMIC or wideband, sd240, Sep-09-05 02:52 AM, #2
      RE: FMIC or wideband, FlyinEsi, Sep-09-05 04:23 AM, #3
           RE: FMIC or wideband, sd240, Sep-09-05 04:39 AM, #4
                RE: FMIC or wideband, FlyinEsi, Sep-09-05 04:57 AM, #5
                     RE: FMIC or wideband, BigBald, Sep-09-05 06:17 AM, #6
                          RE: FMIC or wideband, TeamJeff_99gs, Sep-09-05 07:47 AM, #7
                               RE: FMIC or wideband, RST95eclipse, Sep-09-05 12:07 PM, #8
                               RE: FMIC or wideband, Hult250R, Sep-09-05 03:54 PM, #9
                                    RE: FMIC or wideband, sd240, Sep-09-05 07:22 PM, #10
                                         RE: FMIC or wideband, BigBald, Sep-10-05 08:53 AM, #11
                                              RE: FMIC or wideband, sd240, Sep-12-05 10:23 AM, #12
                                                   RE: FMIC or wideband, FlyinEsi, Sep-12-05 11:18 AM, #13
                                                        RE: FMIC or wideband, sd240, Sep-12-05 03:26 PM, #14
                                                             RE: FMIC or wideband, 97eclipse97, Sep-13-05 05:45 AM, #15

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-08-05 08:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1494, "RE: FMIC or wideband"
In response to Reply # 0

do you have any way of logging now?
I'd say do the FMIC now and run conservatively until you can get the WB to start the real fine tuning?

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

sd240Sep-09-05 02:52 AM
298 posts,
#1495, "RE: FMIC or wideband"
In response to Reply # 1

yes the pocket logger I mentioned

97 Neon ACR-Stock

FlyinEsiSep-09-05 04:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#1496, "RE: FMIC or wideband"
In response to Reply # 2

I would say wideband first....start with the fine tuning at get good at it at lower boost. Then get the FMIC and turn it up!

sd240Sep-09-05 04:39 AM
298 posts,
#1497, "RE: FMIC or wideband"
In response to Reply # 3

ok, so now we're 1:1. Which mod should lower my et most as of right now running at 18 psi?

97 Neon ACR-Stock

FlyinEsiSep-09-05 04:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#1498, "RE: FMIC or wideband"
In response to Reply # 4

SMIC is good up to 18psi...go for the wideband.

FMIC on 18 psi is not going to drop temps much, if any, and you will get pressure drop from having a bigger intercooler and more piping...wideband is my next purchase.

BigBaldSep-09-05 06:17 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#1499, "RE: FMIC or wideband"
In response to Reply # 5

Which Turbo do you have?

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

TeamJeff_99gsSep-09-05 07:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#1500, "RE: FMIC or wideband"
In response to Reply # 6

I also say FMIC. You can tune with knock and timing just fine. Wideband can come later.

RST95eclipseSep-09-05 12:07 PM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
#1501, "RE: FMIC or wideband"
In response to Reply # 7

I'd get the wideband. Just so you can tune your ride just right. Nothing beats a good tune.

However you can get the front mount. Just like another member said......be conservative.

Hult250RSep-09-05 03:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#1502, "RE: FMIC or wideband"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
I also say FMIC. You can tune with knock and timing just fine. Wideband can come later.

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

sd240Sep-09-05 07:22 PM
298 posts,
#1503, "RE: FMIC or wideband"
In response to Reply # 9

I'm on the stock 14b

97 Neon ACR-Stock

BigBaldSep-10-05 08:53 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#1504, "RE: FMIC or wideband"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by sd240
I'm on the stock 14b

You can't go wrong either way. But if it were me, I would get the wideband and perfect the art of tuning first. 14b is fine with a smic.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

sd240Sep-12-05 10:23 AM
298 posts,
#1505, "RE: FMIC or wideband"
In response to Reply # 11

I think I've about decided on a front mount, just because I found a good deal on one and I think that in the long run it will make it easier to tune. I realize that the wideband would allow me to tune more precisely, but I think if I can tune it within the ball park figures of where it should be for now then I will see a more significant improvement. I'll just have to tune a bit on the conservative side, meaning she'll be running pig rich for a while. This is what I'm thinking right now, well really I think I'm just trying to justify the route that will allow me to install my maft and vent to the atmo . Maybe I am a bit of a ricer , but it's hard not to love the bov sound.

97 Neon ACR-Stock

FlyinEsiSep-12-05 11:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#1506, "RE: FMIC or wideband"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by sd240
Maybe I am a bit of a ricer , but it's hard not to love the bov sound.

I can hear my BOV just fine , any louder and it will just be annoying.

sd240Sep-12-05 03:26 PM
298 posts,
#1507, "RE: FMIC or wideband"
In response to Reply # 13

I just kinda wonder what it would be like if it were a little louder, it's probably dumb, but I'm not the most sane person. On second thought are there any disadvantages to venting to the atmosphere even after you have the gm maf installed? I thought I read that part of the reason the bov recirculated was to help keep the turbo spooled during shifts, any truth to this?

97 Neon ACR-Stock

97eclipse97Sep-13-05 05:45 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#1508, "RE: FMIC or wideband"
In response to Reply # 14

I think when drag racing, venting to the atmosphere is better (as long as you do it the right way!) due to the fact that it releases the pressure faster than if you recirculate. DSM's are weird in that some cars can vent the cheap and easy way (no GM maf) and be fine, and other can't idle for sh*t. There shouldn't be a problem as long as you do it the right way though (which you are).

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1493 Previous topic | Next topic