Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12721
View in linear mode

Subject: "blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?" Previous topic | Next topic
servidjoOct-02-03 06:31 AM
Member since Apr 13th 2002
47 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12721, "blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?"

im looking into a 92 talon with 60k on its rebuilt motor, he wants 750bux for the car, its an auto, but it has a blown headgasket. everything else is fine. is this an easy fix? all id have to do is replace it correct? i know its not like swapping plugs, but for 750 bux for a winter beater, im willing to roll up my sleeves and get dirty for a weekend. i just need this car to last me about a year. thanks for your help.

John
1994 3000GT VR-4

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?, MmmDeion, Oct-02-03 06:41 AM, #1
RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?, Doug96GS, Oct-02-03 06:59 AM, #2
      RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?, thedawg, Oct-02-03 07:37 AM, #3
           RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?, Doug96GS, Oct-02-03 07:43 AM, #4
                RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?, TeamJeff_99gs, Oct-02-03 08:38 AM, #5
                RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?, Remy, Oct-02-03 08:45 AM, #6
                RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?, thedawg, Oct-02-03 09:11 AM, #7
                     RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?, HybriDSM, Oct-03-03 10:02 AM, #8

MmmDeionOct-02-03 06:41 AM
Member since Dec 11th 2002
508 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12722, "RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ure first time doin its gonna suck, and will def take a chunk of time outta ure week... Its not a hard thing to do... I just finished mine, and took me about 20 hours to do (4 days or so)... U learn a hell of a lot of info doin it and save ureself the $1000 it would cost to bring it to a shop... As long as u know the basics to ure engine, can read a Chiltons, and have a lot of free time, I say go for it...

Deutsche automotives für das Leben!
http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3784

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Doug96GSOct-02-03 06:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2686 posts,
#12723, "RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?"
In response to Reply # 1

yea john, go for it

thedawgOct-02-03 07:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#12724, "RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?"
In response to Reply # 2

IMO $750 is too high unless its a turbo or in good cosmetic condition. I got a 92 eclipse 1.8 for $500 with zero mechanical problems, and a 90 laser turbo with a broken valve for $500. They were both in poor cosmetic condition though. See if you can talk him down.

If you're replacing the HG, you probably should plan on replacing the timing belt, pulleys, gaskets, etc. Probably $300-$500 in parts plus a couple days of your time if you have never done it before. Treat it as a $1,250+ car and then decide if it's worth it to you.

Also, we have a dedicated 1G forum...
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=17

Doug96GSOct-02-03 07:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2686 posts,
#12725, "RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?"
In response to Reply # 3

>IMO $750 is too high unless its a turbo or in good cosmetic
>condition.

it's an awd turbo

TeamJeff_99gsOct-02-03 08:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#12726, "RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?"
In response to Reply # 4

Well you will need to get the headgasket, new head studs (unless you already have ARPs), and do the timing belt stuff while you are there since it is at the 60k service.
It is a very involved procedure. It took me 2 days to do on my 91 TSi AWD, though I took a lot of breaks and screwed around a lot

RemyOct-02-03 08:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#12727, "RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?"
In response to Reply # 5

Yea I say go for it . Once you do the HG and the T-belt , you will see how easy these engines are to get around.

Member # 333

thedawgOct-02-03 09:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#12728, "RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?"
In response to Reply # 4

>it's an awd turbo

GET IT!

HybriDSMOct-03-03 10:02 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#12729, "RE: blown head gasket on 92 talon.. hard job to fix?"
In response to Reply # 7

If it's your first time doing it, just make sure to read the Chilton's to the letter and set aside alot of time. You can probably get the head off in a few hours, but putting everything back together including the T-Belt will take you a bit longer just to make sure you have all your bases covered. Also, definitely replace the stock head studs with ARP's. It is absolutley worth the 90$.

Set aside more than weekend though, just in case, since we all know DSM's manage to make any job at least twice as lengthy as it should be.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12721 Previous topic | Next topic