Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12346
View in linear mode

Subject: "Dead starter - Hot start - not the usual problem!" Previous topic | Next topic
thedawgNov-21-03 05:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12346, "Dead starter - Hot start - not the usual problem!"

Ok, if I park my 1990 gst for anywhere from 15 mins to 4 hours, and come back and try and start it, it just clicks and won't even crank the starter. If it sits for 5+ hours it always starts no problem.

While it's dead, if I leave the hood open for 30-45 minutes, suddenly it starts working fine again no problems. There is always a perfect idle and no other engine problems.

The fuel relay clicks over fine, the fuel pump hums, the ECU turns on, you can hear the injectors prime, on ignition the starter relay in the ECU flips on and off again when the key is turned.

Replaced:
- ECU
- Battery (red top)
- MAF
- Vacuum hoses
- Grounds
- Starter connections (checked and cleaned)
- Alternator connections (checked and cleaned)

Any ideas what to check into next? Thanks!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

thedawgNov-26-03 07:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12347, "RE: Dead starter - Hot start - not the usual problem!"
In response to Reply # 0

It ended up being a corroded negative wire on the starter itself.

Not sure why it only broke when warm, but it's fixed now.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

chayeDec-06-03 10:13 PM
Member since Apr 28th 2002
420 posts,
#12348, "RE: Dead starter - Hot start - not the usual problem!"
In response to Reply # 1

hey so did the starter crank but didnt start the car?
cause my dad has an Eagle medallion with the same problem it will crank but wont start after you turn it off you have to wait like 4hours for it to start again
thanks
isaias

thedawgDec-08-03 07:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#12349, "RE: Dead starter - Hot start - not the usual problem!"
In response to Reply # 2

No, your dad has the "usual" hot start problem. My starter would not turn over at all, it was a faulty starter. Your dad has bigger problems.

See link: http://gc.dsm.org/faqs/hotstart.htm

chayeDec-09-03 10:36 AM
Member since Apr 28th 2002
420 posts,
#12350, "RE: Dead starter - Hot start - not the usual problem!"
In response to Reply # 3

SWEET thanks man....

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12346 Previous topic | Next topic