Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12320
View in linear mode

Subject: "replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running" Previous topic | Next topic
qc dsm tsiDec-15-03 11:46 PM
Member since Jun 14th 2003
381 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12320, "replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running"

well when i took off the tbelt cover on the 92, i saw the balance shaft belt was broke. So i figured the reason the car didnt turn over was because it was rubbing the t belt, so it couldnt turn over fast enough. WEll last night i just replaced the t belt and balance shaft belt, and still nothing. It still looks like its not spinning fast enough. Its getting spark, me and a buddy checked that out in the first place. What do you guys think?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running, Diceman19, Dec-16-03 07:16 AM, #1
RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running, TeamJeff_99gs, Dec-16-03 08:22 AM, #2
      RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running, Hult250R, Dec-16-03 11:12 AM, #3
           RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running, thedawg, Dec-16-03 11:21 AM, #4
                RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running, Diceman19, Dec-16-03 01:21 PM, #5
                     RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running, qc dsm tsi, Dec-16-03 01:36 PM, #6
                          RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running, Diceman19, Dec-16-03 03:00 PM, #7
                               RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running, Hult250R, Dec-16-03 05:35 PM, #8

Diceman19Dec-16-03 07:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12321, "RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running"
In response to Reply # 0

bad battery?! try jumping it. may have bent valves....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamJeff_99gsDec-16-03 08:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#12322, "RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running"
In response to Reply # 1

Chances are that if the balance shaft belt broke, you have some injured valves/pistons, etc. There is most likely some internal damage. The 4G63, like the 420a, is an interference engine. When the balance shaft belt breaks, it can cause other problems.

Hult250RDec-16-03 11:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#12323, "RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running"
In response to Reply # 2

We tried jumping it when I was at his house. It turns over very slowly... almost like the battery is dead.
I didnt know the Balance shaft could do that damage, I thought it was basically a counterbalancer.
~Luke

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

thedawgDec-16-03 11:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#12324, "RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running"
In response to Reply # 3

Do a compression test to be sure. Balance shaft belts breaking can cause the Tbelt to jack up too.

And drop in a battery from a good running car.

Diceman19Dec-16-03 01:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12325, "RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by thedawg
Do a compression test to be sure. Balance shaft belts breaking can cause the Tbelt to jack up too. And drop in a battery from a good running car.

what he said. typically, the balance shaft belt will get caught up in the t-belt and throw it off.

qc dsm tsiDec-16-03 01:36 PM
Member since Jun 14th 2003
381 posts,
#12326, "RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running"
In response to Reply # 5

i took out my battery from my 90 and tried it, still nothing, the timing belt was intact when i got the car, so do you still think its internals?

Diceman19Dec-16-03 03:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12327, "RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running"
In response to Reply # 6

i would guess the valves first. normally the pistons or the block wont be messed up unless it was a seriously stressful engine blow. does that make sense. basically, i am referring to the difference between the belt breaking at 10 MPH and 70 MPH. or, i could know nothing about what i am talking about. more opinions please.

Hult250RDec-16-03 05:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#12328, "RE: replaced t-belt and balance belt, still not running"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Diceman19
i would guess the valves first. normally the pistons or the block wont be messed up unless it was a seriously stressful engine blow. does that make sense. basically, i am referring to the difference between the belt breaking at 10 MPH and 70 MPH. or, i could know nothing about what i am talking about. more opinions please.

When I got my 92 AWD it had a busted timing belt, The guy put a new one on and tried to start it after it broke on him... Duh, It didnt start, Anyway Its got little divots in the tops of the pistons where the valves hit. All it did was bernd valves, Im not sure how fast he was going whtn the belt broke but it runs great now. From what QC DSM TSI told me the car was just driving in town when it broke so Im sure its prolly the same thing as mine. I just replaced all 16 valves, although the intake were the only ones that were obviously bent just to be sure, and had the head machined.
Anyway... long rambling post but thats my $0.02

Brett-Gimmie a call and maybe I can help you out with it
~Luke

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12320 Previous topic | Next topic