Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12244
View in linear mode

Subject: "easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ" Previous topic | Next topic
Initial DSMDec-23-03 07:19 PM
Member since Sep 23rd 2003
2833 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12244, "easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
Dec-23-03 07:53 PM by Initial DSM

Dont know if all of you know this , but I figured I'd post it up if any of you have this bov without the recirc kit yet:

http://stw.ryerson.ca/~psaadeti/HKS.html

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-23-03 07:24 PM, #1
RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, Initial DSM, Dec-23-03 07:53 PM, #2
      RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-24-03 06:03 AM, #3
           RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, thedawg, Dec-24-03 08:00 AM, #4
                RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, EcLIpsInEmCEe7, Dec-24-03 11:40 AM, #5
                     RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, Initial DSM, Dec-24-03 03:55 PM, #6
                          RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, weepul, Dec-26-03 05:25 PM, #7
                               RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, chrysler kid, Dec-26-03 06:41 PM, #8
                                    RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, BigBald, Dec-26-03 08:27 PM, #9
                                    RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, weepul, Dec-27-03 03:06 AM, #10
                                         RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, TeamJeff_99gs, Dec-27-03 04:33 AM, #11
                                              RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, BigBald, Dec-27-03 05:31 AM, #12
                                              RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, TeamJeff_99gs, Dec-27-03 05:53 AM, #13
                                                   RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-27-03 06:34 AM, #14
                                                        RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, TeamJeff_99gs, Dec-27-03 08:26 AM, #15
                                              RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ, Diceman19, Dec-27-03 08:35 AM, #16

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-23-03 07:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12245, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Initial DSM
Dont know if all of you know this , but I figured I'd post it up if any of you have this bov without the recirc kit yet: http://www.gopartstrader.com/cgi-bin/suite/classifieds/classifieds.cgi

ummm.... thanks.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Initial DSMDec-23-03 07:53 PM
2833 posts,
#12246, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 1

Sorry, im must be tired (the holidays are getting to me)

http://stw.ryerson.ca/~psaadeti/HKS.html

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-24-03 06:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12247, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 2

Cool!

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

thedawgDec-24-03 08:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#12248, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 3

This is my favorite kind of mod

EcLIpsInEmCEe7Dec-24-03 11:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1607 posts,
#12249, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 4

thanks man, now i might lean towards the SSQ instead of the type s

-matt

97 Eclipse GS-T with 6-bolt engine

Initial DSMDec-24-03 03:55 PM
2833 posts,
#12250, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 5

And a merry Christmas to you too!

...points as a christmas present would be nice

weepulDec-26-03 05:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
210 posts,
#12251, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 6

Ok so I'm a moron....help me out here. Obviously when the HKS vents to the atmosphere it makes a nice, loud sound....and relieves excess boost so your turbo's not still spinning when you shift? What advantage would I have to doing this mod as opposed to venting it? Also, anyone have any sound comparisons as to the before and after?

chrysler kidDec-26-03 06:41 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#12252, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 7

venting into the atmosphere makes the car run ritch between shifts and ruins your perofmance for the next gear. also i wouldnt go hks, i love my type s. greddy and tial are the only ones i would buy.

11.65 @ 115

BigBaldDec-26-03 08:27 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#12253, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by chrysler kid
venting into the atmosphere makes the car run ritch between shifts and ruins your perofmance for the next gear. also i wouldnt go hks, i love my type s. greddy and tial are the only ones i would buy.

HKS all the way....Greddy leaks at high boost and tial does not recirc at all. So buying a tial would mean getting the GM MAf also or VPC.The Recirc fitting for the HKS is $10 from hp freaks. I have the HKS SSQV BOV and love it

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

weepulDec-27-03 03:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
210 posts,
#12254, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 8

Still not quite sure what the pros/cons are from venting and recirculating =(

TeamJeff_99gsDec-27-03 04:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#12255, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 10

Hmm I've never heard of the Type-S leaking. I know a ton of people that go with that BOV and not a single one has problems. Two of them actually pressure tested their system to 25psi and there was not a single leak.

To vent, or not to vent. That is the question. (which has a really simple answer. Do NOT vent.)

Here is the deal, and this is the last time I am going to type this.

The air sensor measures the incoming air before it gets to the turbo. It then sends that measurement to the ECU so it knows how much fuel to add to the air/fuel mixture inside the cylinders.
When the BOV goes off, it shoots that air, which was already measured, back into the system AFTER the air sensor. This keeps the ECU and engine happy because it does not lose the measured air.

Now, if you do not let the BOV vent the air back into the intake, that measured air leaves the system. The problem here, is that the ECU has already accounted for that amount of air and dumped the correct amount of fuel into the engine to keep the air/fuel ratio happy. Since the measured air is no longer there, too much fuel goes into the engine and causes a very rich situation. This hinders performance, causes the engine to stumble, and is just overall bad.

Get it?

BigBaldDec-27-03 05:31 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#12256, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
Hmm I've never heard of the Type-S leaking. I know a ton of people that go with that BOV and not a single one has problems. Two of them actually pressure tested their system to 25psi and there was not a single leak.

1g or 2g? I have heard plenty of stories about high boost issues on the 2g. Because of the push design.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

TeamJeff_99gsDec-27-03 05:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#12257, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 12

It shouldn't matter if it is a 1g or a 2g. They work the same on any car

One was a 1991 TSi AWD, one was a 1995 TSi AWD. No problems. The problem people have is they do not set it up properly. There are two nipples there for a reason. You have to use them both to get the proper seal at high boost levels.

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-27-03 06:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12258, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 13

The problem people have is they do not set it up properly. There are two nipples there for a reason. You have to use them both to get the proper seal at high boost levels.

I thought the bottom nipple was the one that helps it open correctly under low boost. I read somewhere that you can leave the bottom one capped unless you're getting surge and then you can tap that to a manifold source to help "push" open the valve.

TeamJeff_99gsDec-27-03 08:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#12259, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by eclipzGST
I thought the bottom nipple was the one that helps it open correctly under low boost. I read somewhere that you can leave the bottom one capped unless you're getting surge and then you can tap that to a manifold source to help "push" open the valve.

Right! The lower nipple helps it open under low boost, meaning you can tighten the screw on the BOV MUCH more than if you capped it off. You can tighten the BOV a lot to stop it from leaking, but it will not open at lower boost. If you actually use the lower nipple to help it open at lower boost, you can make the BOV harder to open so it doesn't leak at higher levels That way you get it working at all boost levels.

Diceman19Dec-27-03 08:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12260, "RE: easy recirculation mod for HKS SSQ"
In response to Reply # 11

Hmm I've never heard of the Type-S leaking. I know a ton of people that go with that BOV and not a single one has problems. Two of them actually pressure tested their system to 25psi and there was not a single leak. To vent, or not to vent. That is the question. (which has a really simple answer. Do NOT vent.) Here is the deal, and this is the last time I am going to type this. The air sensor measures the incoming air before it gets to the turbo. It then sends that measurement to the ECU so it knows how much fuel to add to the air/fuel mixture inside the cylinders. When the BOV goes off, it shoots that air, which was already measured, back into the system AFTER the air sensor. This keeps the ECU and engine happy because it does not lose the measured air. Now, if you do not let the BOV vent the air back into the intake, that measured air leaves the system. The problem here, is that the ECU has already accounted for that amount of air and dumped the correct amount of fuel into the engine to keep the air/fuel ratio happy. Since the measured air is no longer there, too much fuel goes into the engine and causes a very rich situation. This hinders performance, causes the engine to stumble, and is just overall bad. Get it?

now that you arent gonna type it anymore, are you just gonna start copy/pasting it. :-D LOL.

i will be here all week, thank you guys!

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12244 Previous topic | Next topic