Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12095
View in linear mode

Subject: "random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long" Previous topic | Next topic
Vandy420aJan-07-04 08:39 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12095, "random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long"

Ok,

Just got a 2600 on the car today as well as timing belt. (also 2 pullies, tensioner)...

New alternator on car as of 3 days ago too.

Here goes: At first I thought it was the new clutch slipping but when I accellerate full out the engine stumbles and I think its misfiring. Its totally random, but always happens under boost. Sometimes its at 5k, sometimes its at 3.75k, but the car just shudders and I lose power for an instant, then it goes away, then it gets bad, or sometimes it doesn't. At first I suspected it was bad gas (3.5 gallons at a sketchball gas station--sketchy neighborhood, 3am, out of gas, long story). but I put another 6 or 7 gallons of amoco in today and still there. I also noticed the problem with my exhaust silencer in, if it makes any diff---never run w/it in before (emissions testing today). Took silencer out, still there.

Had the guy that put the clutch on for me come for a ride, he's SURE its not teh clutch (I don't think it is, either) but he's happy to help either way. I'm lost and kinda frustrated...

Thanks!
Vandy

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-07-04 09:23 AM, #1
RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long, Vandy420a, Jan-07-04 09:30 AM, #3
RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long, Diceman19, Jan-07-04 09:25 AM, #2
RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long, Vandy420a, Jan-07-04 09:31 AM, #4
      RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long, HybriDSM, Jan-07-04 09:36 AM, #5
           RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long, Vandy420a, Jan-07-04 04:06 PM, #6
                RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-07-04 06:11 PM, #7
                     RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long, Vandy420a, Jan-07-04 06:28 PM, #8
                          RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long, SaberKhan, Jan-14-04 10:29 AM, #9

TeamJeff_99gsJan-07-04 09:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12096, "RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long"
In response to Reply # 0

Brand new ACT 2600? It will slip a little while it breaks itself in.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Vandy420aJan-07-04 09:30 AM
2037 posts,
#12097, "RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long"
In response to Reply # 1

really? oh man thats a huge relief. I'll take it easy on the clutch now..I really appreciate it. On a side note, I noticed a little bit of oil next to what i'm 99% sure is the Cam angle sensor? I hear changing these if not converting to 1g is totally easy, I was wondering if I should order one or if I should wait a few weeks to see if its the clutch. How long/how many miles to break in? 1k?

Thanks again jeff, you totally saved my day, and I really appreciate it.

Vandy

P.S. I know we're all striving to be our own mechanics on this site, but if anyone HAS to go to one (lost a week this break to family member's ill health) and is in the MD or ANNAPOLIS area Redd's automotive is really great. I sat there with the mechanic and did all the adjustments with him, he spent literally 3 hours with me this morning taking rides with me, then adjusting the clutch, then taking more rides, and asking questions about DSMs. He's a honda guy, but he's learning quick... HIGHLY reccommended. Just to be a nice guy he also checked my turbo for shaft play (why? no need, but he was just trying to be nice) and went through EVERY vac line to figure out the profec-B before I got there..

Diceman19Jan-07-04 09:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12098, "RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long"
In response to Reply # 0

i doubt it has anything to do with the timing belt, pullies or the clutch. those are all hardware that would have no effect on stuttering or misfireing. try you plug wires and check your plug gaps. maybe the distributor. you may try to keep on with filling gas. if the gas is mixed in, it may take a while to get rid of it all. good luck.

Vandy420aJan-07-04 09:31 AM
2037 posts,
#12099, "RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long"
In response to Reply # 2

yeah i'm also gonna do a boost leak test and change the plugs wires (don't know when they've been changed, if ever). I'm leaning away from electrical though because its not consistent at all...

Vandy

HybriDSMJan-07-04 09:36 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#12100, "RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long"
In response to Reply # 4

Bad TPS sensor? Just cuts out randomly for no reason under different load levels and different RPM's? My TPS sensor went out and had that problem. Might be an option.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Vandy420aJan-07-04 04:06 PM
2037 posts,
#12101, "RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long"
In response to Reply # 5

Yeah i've never done a TPS check on a 4g63, but I did one on my old 420a and it was pretty easy. I don't have to take off the TB to do a check, do I? can I just unclip it and put an ohm meter directly up to the connections with teh TB still installed on the intake mani?

Vandy

P.S. i'm also getting a pocketlogger as soon as I get back to school (tomorrow night) so hopefully i'll be well on my way to sorting this out by next week.

So far i've got:

standard clutch slippage
plugs/wires
Cam Angle Sensor (not sure how to test this, but if its cheap enough i'll just replace it, since its leaking oil anyway)
Throttle positioning sensor

On a side note, i'm gonna be alone at school (drill this weekend) and I think i'm gonna try and fix the sunroof rattle/whistle if possible, i'll keep you guys posted if I find anything that even remotely works. I may resort to having my buddy fab me some reinforcement brackets or somethign at the school's machine shop...

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-07-04 06:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12102, "RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long"
In response to Reply # 6

I just saw a TPS for sale on DSM trader. Like 3 or 4 pages in.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Vandy420aJan-07-04 06:28 PM
2037 posts,
#12103, "RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long"
In response to Reply # 7

sweet thanks! although wouln't I be throwing a CEL with a misfire? Maybe not, but its the clutch and i'm praying that jeff's right (he usually is) and that it'll stop doing what its doing..i'm kinda in a jam, because I gotta leave soon so i'm debating weather to take it back...prob won't, and hope for the best. If nothing else I can bitch at ACT I guess

_________ <---- the thin line that is my patience

You guys have all been awesome though, I really appreciate the help...thinking I may pick up that TPS if its still there fri morning...although I'm still thinking clutch

Vandy

SaberKhanJan-14-04 10:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#12104, "RE: random stumble/misfire (perplexing), little long"
In response to Reply # 8

Most of the inconsistent, intermittent hard to diagnose problems usually turn out to be electrical. Many are bad grounds and extra resistance in the wiring or components. Checking the TPS is a good idea, as well as checking the coil itself. You'll need a multimeter to check the resistance of the primary/secondary coils and check the voltage of the TPS. I'd pretty much check every engine sensor that is included in the loop operation modes. Good luck.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12095 Previous topic | Next topic