Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 5 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11670
View in linear mode

Subject: "Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!" Previous topic | Next topic
deuceMar-05-04 09:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1065 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11670, "Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!"
Mar-05-04 09:25 AM by deuce

Ok I am running a bit below 15 pounds on my 1997 GST Spyder.

I have an Apexi S-AFC and I was tuned by Motec Performance from turbotrix in new jersey.

I have an EGT from autometer in my pillar. The probe is in the 4th in my exhaust manifold.

Turbo trix did all the work.

Here is the problem...whenever I drive on the highway 60+ mph my temp guage reads bet 1400-1600. Gets very close to 1600.

When I am pushing the car and boosting bet 5-10psi it pins at 1600 and 1600+ sometimes.

I also have an air fuel guage that I can never really read that accurtly (its the one with the light that moves circular from side to side) but what I can say is that whenever I give it gas it shoots to rich (green) and when i'm cruising its moves side to side close to the middle.

I am going to turbotrix this sat...but otherwise...what is the problem and please tell me its a defective guage or probe....

P.S. I have no heatshield.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!

My 2gnt will forever be missed.....
Hello 1997 GS-T Spyder!!!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!, BigBald, Mar-05-04 09:33 AM, #1
RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!, deuce, Mar-05-04 09:41 AM, #2
      RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!, Mattcky2k, Mar-05-04 10:47 AM, #3
           RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!, deuce, Mar-05-04 11:01 AM, #4
                RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!, Mattcky2k, Mar-05-04 11:10 AM, #5
                RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-05-04 11:13 AM, #6
                     RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!, BigBald, Mar-05-04 11:21 AM, #7
                          RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!, deuce, Mar-05-04 01:01 PM, #8
                               RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!, MoreBoost, Mar-05-04 02:18 PM, #9
                                    RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!, deuce, Mar-08-04 04:52 AM, #10
                                         RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-08-04 02:35 PM, #11
                                              RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!, deuce, Mar-09-04 05:21 AM, #12
                                                   RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-09-04 06:37 AM, #13
                                                        RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!, deuce, Mar-11-04 07:36 AM, #14

BigBaldMar-05-04 09:33 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11671, "RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-05-04 09:38 AM by BigBald

post this on tuners or talk....the answer more quickly then here most of the time.

What fuel mods do you have? Fuel pump or INjectors? IF so what size?

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

deuceMar-05-04 09:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1065 posts,
#11672, "RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by BigBald
post this on tuners or talk....the answer more quickly then here most of the time. What fuel mods do you have? Fuel pump or INjectors? IF so what size?

Thanks,

Stock injectors and a walbro 255.

Mattcky2kMar-05-04 10:47 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2002
1135 posts,
#11673, "RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-05-04 10:51 AM by Mattcky2k

i've always read that the EGT probe is best put on the #1 cylinder runner on the exhaust manifold for best reading cause it runs the hottest. and the Air/Fuel gauge is useless. it pretty much only tells how hard your pushing the gas and no real info on what is going on in your engine. so it's probably not telling you to much. and this is what readings you should be getting Idle 1000; Normal speed 3000 RPM 1350 ;Danger 1700+

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: K&N Filter, John Sheppard built transmission with GVR4 1st gear, autometer boost gauge, "free mods", Greddy type-s BOV, broken shifter

deuceMar-05-04 11:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1065 posts,
#11674, "RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm sorry it is in the hottest one...the one closest to the driver side of the car.

Mattcky2kMar-05-04 11:10 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2002
1135 posts,
#11675, "RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!"
In response to Reply # 4

oh ok i thought you meant cylinder 4

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: K&N Filter, John Sheppard built transmission with GVR4 1st gear, autometer boost gauge, "free mods", Greddy type-s BOV, broken shifter

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-05-04 11:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11676, "RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!"
In response to Reply # 4

Everything you said is normal.
For safety's sake and piece of mind, you could have the richen it up a lil to bring down the temps but I wouldn't worry too much.
If you do see the EGTs start climbing above 1650, just let off. Highway driving in a tall gear keeps a pretty hefty load on the engine. Thats why you're seeing such high temps.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

BigBaldMar-05-04 11:21 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#11677, "RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!"
In response to Reply # 6

I think you leaned out the AFC to much. You really don't need one without and injector upgrade. IF you don't plan on upgrading your turbo you should go down to a 190 fuel pump so you won't run as rich. Did they dyno tune your car at Turbo Trix? I am curious as to how you came up with your afc settings.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

deuceMar-05-04 01:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1065 posts,
#11678, "RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by BigBald
I think you leaned out the AFC to much. You really don't need one without and injector upgrade. IF you don't plan on upgrading your turbo you should go down to a 190 fuel pump so you won't run as rich. Did they dyno tune your car at Turbo Trix? I am curious as to how you came up with your afc settings.

The set it all up with a Motec Tuning...some tuning computer that cost me an extra 100 bucks for them to use. They hooked it to the computer and put a probe in the exhaust pipe.

I just want it to run at the best of its ability without causing engine damage..I do weekend driving, and once in a while open it up

MoreBoostMar-05-04 02:18 PM
Member since Feb 03rd 2002
147 posts,
#11679, "RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!"
In response to Reply # 8

Dang your EGT reads up to 1600 is that in centigrade? Oh cuz my EGT warning light starts around 900 degrees celsius.

Well just richen it up just a bit to be sure, or go back their, I'm sure they can re-tune it again without you paying. RRE always re-tuned

deuceMar-08-04 04:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1065 posts,
#11680, "RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!"
In response to Reply # 9

update I brought it to TurboTrix on saturday, they ran the car on the Motec computer. It surns out the tuning is fine, I need to replace the fuel filter and the guage is shot.

Thanx for all your help.

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-08-04 02:35 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11681, "RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by deuce
update I brought it to TurboTrix on saturday, they ran the car on the Motec computer. It surns out the tuning is fine, I need to replace the fuel filter and the guage is shot. Thanx for all your help.

the guage is shot? or the probe?
Don't forget, they will tune for POWER, not reliability...

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

deuceMar-09-04 05:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1065 posts,
#11682, "RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!"
In response to Reply # 11

the guage is shot? or the probe? Don't forget, they will tune for POWER, not reliability...

Well I would say the guage becuase in the cold weather it always just freezes and stops working, a few times the needle spun completely around. But then again it could be the probe...should I just buy a new EGT guage?

TIA

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-09-04 06:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11683, "RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!"
In response to Reply # 12

I know the probes sometimes have to be replaced (some more often than others)
I'm sure there's a way to test it.
Not much sense in buying a new guage when it could have just been the probe. I would find out which one is the problem before spending any money.

deuceMar-11-04 07:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1065 posts,
#11684, "RE: Heating issues making be a bit worried.....(LONG) TIA!"
In response to Reply # 13
Mar-11-04 07:53 AM by deuce

Turns out the tuner guys recommend that I get a FPR from
http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/

What do you think>?

Jeff any opinions...being that I have a 255 Walbro

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11670 Previous topic | Next topic