Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11425
View in linear mode

Subject: "block painting" Previous topic | Next topic
qc dsm tsiMar-30-04 12:49 PM
Member since Jun 14th 2003
381 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11425, "block painting"

does anybody have any pics of the 4g63 block painted. Just want to get some ideas since I just pulled the motor for a rebuild.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: block painting, TeamJeff_99gs, Mar-30-04 01:18 PM, #1
RE: block painting, Vandy420a, Mar-30-04 03:08 PM, #2
RE: block painting, qc dsm tsi, Mar-30-04 03:28 PM, #3
      RE: block painting, ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-31-04 07:36 AM, #4
           RE: block painting, qc dsm tsi, Apr-01-04 11:49 AM, #5
                RE: block painting, thedawg, Apr-02-04 06:02 AM, #6
                     RE: block painting, ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-02-04 11:39 AM, #7
                          RE: block painting, qc dsm tsi, Apr-02-04 03:51 PM, #8

TeamJeff_99gsMar-30-04 01:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11426, "RE: block painting"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't have any pictures handy, but make sure to paint it a light color. You don't want to spring an oil leak and be unable to see it because you painted the block black.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Vandy420aMar-30-04 03:08 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#11427, "RE: block painting"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
I don't have any pictures handy, but make sure to paint it a light color. You don't want to spring an oil leak and be unable to see it because you painted the block black.

haha sounds like somethign i'd do not thinking

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

qc dsm tsiMar-30-04 03:28 PM
381 posts,
#11428, "RE: block painting"
In response to Reply # 1
Mar-30-04 03:28 PM by qc dsm tsi

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs

Never thought about that!!! very good point! Ive been thinking about maybee silver or blue?

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-31-04 07:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11429, "RE: block painting"
In response to Reply # 3

bust out the dremel and polish to a mirror finish.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

qc dsm tsiApr-01-04 11:49 AM
381 posts,
#11430, "RE: block painting"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by eclipzGST
bust out the dremel and polish to a mirror finish.

good idea!!!

thedawgApr-02-04 06:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#11431, "RE: block painting"
In response to Reply # 5
Apr-02-04 06:13 AM by thedawg

Lots of pics: http://www.whack.org/~dan/car/4g63/enginebuild/

I dunked each part in 25/75 oileater/water solution for at least an hour, some of the steel parts overnight. Be extremely careful with the head and aluminum parts in oileater, they will disintegrate. I then pressure washed and air-dried everything. You have to use an air compressor to dry the steel and block parts because they will rust in about 30 minutes. Then apply about 5 light coats of 1200-1600* paint. Bake each coat in the oven per the paint can's instructions if it's something you don't want to flake off like the valve cover.

I had it about 4 months, and no flaking. It holds up to oil and light cleaning. Here's what it looks like now.

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-02-04 11:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11432, "RE: block painting"
In response to Reply # 6

VERY nice!

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

qc dsm tsiApr-02-04 03:51 PM
381 posts,
#11433, "RE: block painting"
In response to Reply # 7

thats what im talking about!!

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11425 Previous topic | Next topic