Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11191
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?" Previous topic | Next topic
bing001Apr-18-04 04:49 PM
Member since Feb 18th 2002
85 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11191, "Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"

What's up guys,

I'm a little torn on which turbo to swap in. This may have already been discussed but just seeking some advice. I might try the Greddy turbo upgrade kit... their site doesn't really give any details on whats included but I was thinkin some of you would know and what you've heard about them. Any help would be much appreciated...
Thanks

Former 420a owner
98 GST
Soon to be EVOlved

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?, TeamJeff_99gs, Apr-18-04 05:22 PM, #1
RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?, Remy, Apr-18-04 05:29 PM, #2
      RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?, Vandy420a, Apr-18-04 05:51 PM, #3
           RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?, Remy, Apr-18-04 06:37 PM, #4
                RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?, Vandy420a, Apr-18-04 06:59 PM, #5
                     RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?, TeamJeff_99gs, Apr-19-04 03:24 AM, #6
                          RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?, Vandy420a, Apr-19-04 04:30 AM, #7
                               RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?, jsupetran, Apr-20-04 08:00 PM, #8
                                    RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-20-04 09:33 PM, #9
                                         RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?, thedawg, Apr-21-04 06:35 AM, #10
                                              RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-21-04 12:09 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?, Vandy420a, Apr-22-04 08:30 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-22-04 04:16 PM, #13
                                                             RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?, Remy, Apr-22-04 04:36 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?, Vandy420a, Apr-22-04 04:41 PM, #15

TeamJeff_99gsApr-18-04 05:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11192, "RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"
In response to Reply # 0

Neither! Yay!

The Evo III 16G is a really great buy. Super spoolup, great top end, and really cheap.

$535 from Buschur. www.buschurracing.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RemyApr-18-04 05:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#11193, "RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
Neither! Yay! The Evo III 16G is a really great buy. Super spoolup, great top end, and really cheap. $535 from Buschur. www.buschurracing.com

^^^^

www.dsmlife.com

Vandy420aApr-18-04 05:51 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#11194, "RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"
In response to Reply # 2

what kinda 02 housing do you reccomend for that turbo? i'm gonan get one in the next coupla weeks an di'm trying to avoid creep as much as possible.....

should I go with the slowboy dump tube or the standard evoIII ported, or just port the stocker?

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

RemyApr-18-04 06:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#11195, "RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"
In response to Reply # 3

Get the evo manifold and o2 housing imo.

www.dsmlife.com

Vandy420aApr-18-04 06:59 PM
2037 posts,
#11196, "RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Remy
Get the evo manifold and o2 housing imo. #333 www.dsmlife.com

bling bling.....alrighty visa, here I come! (no i'm gonan do that, but I also want a front mount, the manifold I didnt' plan on, but deep down i know i'll need it...)

but after the manifold i have to port the exaust runners, dont' I?

Vandy

TeamJeff_99gsApr-19-04 03:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#11197, "RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"
In response to Reply # 5

The evo manifold is the same as a ported 2G mani. No need to get the Evo. Just grind off the little circular nubs inside the runners.

Vandy420aApr-19-04 04:30 AM
2037 posts,
#11198, "RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"
In response to Reply # 6

suweet---

<<as visions of cash registers danced in his head>>

jsupetranApr-20-04 08:00 PM
Member since May 04th 2002
4359 posts,
#11199, "RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"
In response to Reply # 7

Hey question for you 4gers (I feel like I am stepping into the lions den–me looks over shoulder scared of gst/gsx).

SO why is the evo turbo better than the 16g in design? I know that the 16g is an "ancient" turbo design – it's tried, true, and proven, but is starting to be eclipsed by other turbos.

I know the the evo spools at a lower rpms, and higher top end than the 16g but why? Better compressor?

I almost wanna abuse my 16g so I can buy the evo 16g (too bad I'm broke ).

-------jezreel
1998 GS with hrc stage 2, sfmu, ml, prokits, egt, boost gauge, apexi tt, haydans tranny cooler, costum dp, dr. uber groundwires, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler
Boostin since Aug 03.

nothing like driving with the windows down and the music low: i love hearing the turbo spool, swwwhhhttt!!!!
thanks for www.kaptainmyke.com for the sig hosting

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-20-04 09:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11200, "RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by jsupetran
Hey question for you 4gers (I feel like I am stepping into the lions denme looks over shoulder scared of gst/gsx). SO why is the evo turbo better than the 16g in design? I know that the 16g is an "ancient" turbo design  it's tried, true, and proven, but is starting to be eclipsed by other turbos. I know the the evo spools at a lower rpms, and higher top end than the 16g but why? Better compressor? I almost wanna abuse my 16g so I can buy the evo 16g (too bad I'm broke

http://www.slowboyracing.com/Mitsubishi%20Turbos/EVO%2016g/Wheel_comparison.html
there ya go.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

thedawgApr-21-04 06:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#11201, "RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"
In response to Reply # 9
Apr-21-04 06:46 AM by thedawg

If it were only $535 I would buy it tonight. But don't you need an install kit on 2g's? Those kits run from $200-400 dont they? (EDIT: The buschur kit is another $315)

There has to be a cheaper way to do this. I was thinking since the 4g63 heads are more or less the same, you could just steal the oil/water lines off a junkyard 1G? Or is it the intercooler piping that costs hundreds of dollars?

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-21-04 12:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11202, "RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"
In response to Reply # 10
Apr-21-04 12:11 PM by eclipzGST

SBR kit is $199 and consists of the piping, stainless steel braided oil feed line, gaskets, banjo bolts...
You reuse the water lines after switching them and bending them. (piece of cake) took me about 5 min to do both. One of them is almost perfectly lined up, just gotta move it down a little to hook over the intake pipe.
I may be selling my piping after I get the FMIC hooked up and then alls you would need is a oil feed line, 1 bano bolt and 2 gaskets. If you bought my piping, that alone would save you at LEAST $75 from SBR's price.
I'll let the piping and couplers go for $100+s/h
You can get the oil feed line and banjo bolt from RRE for pretty cheap.

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

Vandy420aApr-22-04 08:30 AM
2037 posts,
#11203, "RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"
In response to Reply # 11

stil interested in selling the stuff?? wait a min, if you're selling it for 100 bucks and it'll save me 75 from SBR, shouldn't I just get it from sbr? what am i missing here...........

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-22-04 04:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11204, "RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by Vandy420a
stil interested in selling the stuff?? wait a min, if you're selling it for 100 bucks and it'll save me 75 from SBR, shouldn't I just get it from sbr? what am i missing here...........

well, if you get it from SBR, you'll be missing $75
SBR sells it for $199
I'm selling the piping for $100
the only other things you'll need is the oil feed line and a banjo bolt...

RemyApr-22-04 04:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#11205, "RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"
In response to Reply # 13

Well you can make a banjo bolt. So that will save you money. I made my own.

www.dsmlife.com

Vandy420aApr-22-04 04:41 PM
2037 posts,
#11206, "RE: Hahn's Super 16G or Greddy's 18G?"
In response to Reply # 14

yeah i'm well on my way to being drunk at this point, but i'll PM you or somethign tomorrow re: the piping and such

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11191 Previous topic | Next topic