Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #10637
View in linear mode

Subject: "head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Jun-01-04 04:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10637, "head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
Jun-01-04 04:54 AM by DR1665

Here's the deal fellas. This has got to be my first post in this forum and I have a problem.

I'm almost done with this 93 GS auto I got for my dad and I've got some oil plug issues. We got the car together and just figured the holes were for brackets or something on the turbo models (this is our first 4g63 rebuild). So when we started the engine, we got oil all over the passenger side of the engine bay. I come to find out that the schematic calls for 9 of these little set screws to plug the oil galleys on the ends of the head, but we were only leaking out the one side (other side was completely dry), so last night we replaced the ones at the passenger side. Fired the car up and oil came blasting through the cam gears.

So the Chiltons doesn't show where these things go, but here's the ones I've found thus far:

PASS SIDE OF HEAD:
*2 right under the valve cover
*1 under the lower adjustment bolt for the cam position sensor
*1 front side of head, pass side, right next to turbo feed line location
*1 larger bolt (made do with another bolt I had around) where the turbo feed line goes on other models

DRIV SIDE OF HEAD:
*4 in a row (2 behind each cam gear)

Now these are small, 1/8" pipe fitting socket head set screws that come with red loctite on them from the dealer. The list says I need 9, but I've only found 8 of the smaller size. Tell me you've done your own head work and know where the 9th one is located and that I can get to it without pulling the head again. It looks like I can get to the ones through the cam gears, but there's still another hole somewhere and I can't see it anywhere.

HELP!

TIA!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, TeamJeff_99gs, Jun-01-04 07:03 AM, #1
RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, TeamDR1665, Jun-01-04 07:14 AM, #2
      RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, TeamJeff_99gs, Jun-01-04 07:56 AM, #3
           RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, HybriDSM, Jun-01-04 08:23 AM, #4
                RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, TeamDR1665, Jun-01-04 09:23 AM, #5
                     RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, Hult250R, Jun-01-04 10:57 AM, #6
                          RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, TeamDR1665, Jun-01-04 11:14 AM, #7
                               RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, Hult250R, Jun-01-04 11:21 AM, #8
                                    RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, TeamDR1665, Jun-01-04 12:20 PM, #9
                                         RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, Hult250R, Jun-04-04 03:13 PM, #10
                                              RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, JReynosa, Jun-05-04 02:38 PM, #11
                                              RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, TeamDR1665, Jun-07-04 11:13 AM, #12
                                                   RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, Uberingram, Jun-07-04 11:20 AM, #13
                                                   RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, HybriDSM, Jun-07-04 11:22 AM, #14
                                                   RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, Hult250R, Jun-07-04 02:28 PM, #16
                                                        RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, HybriDSM, Jun-07-04 03:05 PM, #17
                                                             RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, Hult250R, Jun-07-04 04:25 PM, #18
                                                   RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, Hult250R, Jun-07-04 02:24 PM, #15
                                                        RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P, TeamDR1665, Jun-08-04 04:56 AM, #19

TeamJeff_99gsJun-01-04 07:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10638, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow, Non-turbos are so weird. I honestly have no idea where the last one could be. I would try to get a hold of the shop manual CD. I know that will have the information.

Unfortunately most DSM enthusiasts only know about the ins and outs of the turbo models. (myself included).

I might suggest posting in the Non-turbo tech section of DSMtalk. They might know more about the NT 4G63 than me.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDR1665Jun-01-04 07:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#10639, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 1

Well, my buddy who came by to help me do the t-belt etc., and I compared the head on my 1GNT to the one in his 92 GST and he had all the same plugs on the passenger side, but this was before we thought about the others.

Anyone happen to have a 4g63 head laying around they could look at? I could possibly get some pictures of the holes I've found tonight, but I have no internet at home for the next couple days so it's hard to upload them imo.

Thanks man.

TeamJeff_99gsJun-01-04 07:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#10640, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 2

Well none of my plugged holes ever leak, so I have no experience with that issue. I very well may have them on my head, I just never came across a problem with them.

HybriDSMJun-01-04 08:23 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#10641, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 3

Oh my goodness. I feel terrible. Brian has come to this section for the first time and we have no answers for him. I am so embarassed.

I have the DSM manual CD at home, and will try and find the answer to the problem when I get back tonight. Hopefully that will be enough.

Lata

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

TeamDR1665Jun-01-04 09:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#10642, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 4

Word to your mothers gentlemen. I shall wait to see what you come up with. I'll also try to get a 1g this fall sometime.

Hult250RJun-01-04 10:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#10643, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 5
Jun-01-04 11:00 AM by Hult250R

Originally posted by DR1665
Word to your mothers gentlemen. I shall wait to see what you come up with. I'll also try to get a 1g this fall sometime.

Ill go out and take a look at my 1G NT parts car and see if I can figure out what youre talking about. Do I have to take off any covers to see what youre talkin about?

Edit: Just to make sure I got it straight, you got 9 plugs but could only find 8 holes, And the leak you have now is on the drivers side??

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

TeamDR1665Jun-01-04 11:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#10644, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 6
Jun-01-04 11:31 AM by DR1665

Originally posted by Hult250R
Ill go out and take a look at my 1G NT parts car and see if I can figure out what youre talking about. Do I have to take off any covers to see what youre talkin about?

Well, you would to see the 4 behind the cam gears imo, but not really that I know of. If you look right at the head from the front (exhaust side), over in the left corner there is a raised ridge that runs horizontally across the head and has a larger plug in the end of it for the turbo feed line. Right on the front there at the edge is a little set screw/freeze plug looking thing. There are supposed to be 9 of them on the head. You can see the others on the passenger side without removing anything that I know of, but then I only see the 4 behind the cam gears. So I'm scared there's one more on the back under the injectors or something stupid like that which would mean pulling the head again...

Thanks man.

EDIT:
I found this picture on the Google. I've marked where the 4 on the cam gear side are, and I can't see any other holes of the sort on the back of the head, but this would still only mean 8 of them found. Any help would be still super mucho apprciated imo.

Hult250RJun-01-04 11:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#10645, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 7
Jun-01-04 12:08 PM by Hult250R

Originally posted by Hult250R Ill go out and take a look at my 1G NT parts car and see if I can figure out what youre talking about. Do I have to take off any covers to see what youre talkin about?
Well, you would to see the 4 behind the cam gears imo, but not really that I know of. If you look right at the head from the front (exhaust side), over in the left corner there is a raised ridge that runs horizontally across the head and has a larger plug in the end of it for the turbo feed line. Right on the front there at the edge is a little set screw/freeze plug looking thing. There are supposed to be 9 of them on the head. You can see the others on the passenger side without removing anything that I know of, but then I only see the 4 behind the cam gears. So I'm scared there's one more on the back under the injectors or something stupid like that which would mean pulling the head again... Thanks man.

Can you tell from what general location the oil is coming from?

I just went out and took a look at my parts car. The only plug I can see on the drivers side looks like its on the Intake Manifold.
I took it out and started the car and no oil came out of it. But Im not sure how much oil pressure this POS actually has anyway. its got 226K miles on it lol
Heres a pic of it. Its a little bigger than the one on the front of the head above the exhaust manifold.

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

TeamDR1665Jun-01-04 12:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#10646, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 8
Jun-01-04 12:22 PM by DR1665

The only plug I can see on the drivers side looks like its on the Intake Manifold.

Interesting. I will have to look for that one when I get back over to look at the car tomorrow night.
I took it out and started the car and no oil came out of it.

I like this news.
Im not sure how much oil pressure this POS actually has anyway. its got 226K miles on it lol

Dayum! Around the world in a DSM. Who woulda thunk it?
Its a little bigger than the one on the front of the head above the exhaust manifold.

This is not good. No dealership in the valley has the larger size in stock and it would have to be ordered. Damn.
Brian-can you get on AIM right now?

Negative ghost rider. All of the sudden they've got me outside rescuing ducks from one of the 8 in ground pools we've got here and hosing off some chairs from storage for the local YMCA swim team or something.

Thanks for all your help though.

EDIT:
In this picture, if you look inside the cam gear, just up and to the right of the black ring looking thing there, you can see the bottom of one of the ones I have that is leaking at the moment. They blew oil all over the timing belt which threw it all over the hood, firewall, other belts, headlight, front clip, my dad, some do0d walking by, and his little dog too.

Hult250RJun-04-04 03:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#10647, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 9

Brian... Keep us posted, did ya fix it??

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

JReynosaJun-05-04 02:38 PM
Member since Oct 15th 2003
396 posts,
#10648, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 10

Could any of these cause the leak

TeamDR1665Jun-07-04 11:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#10649, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 10

Brian... Keep us posted, did ya fix it??

Yup. Drove it home last night. Back right tire has some noise to it, the brakes are making a little noise turning through the rust on the rotors, the AC has a mind of it's own, but it's ice cold and the cruise conrtol works. Despite being a 1GNT automatic, it still felt cool to be driving it. I like that car. Maybe it's time to put Daisy on a shelf and go 1G AWD...

The funny part imo:
Got the 4 set screws into the head on the driver's side okay, but lost a bit and a magnetic attachement behind the t-belt (ain't that fuckin awesome?) but there's no noise or anything and I was able to get it home where I can pull the cover and get in there to get it out here soon.
Fired it up, wouldn't idle. My brother starts shouting about oil everywhere and I shut it off.
The 9th set screw went less than 3" from one of the first 4 I put in. Under the back cam position sensor bolt. So it was right in front of me the first time and I didn't see it. Put it in and the car leaks nothing. Wo0t!

So the car wouldn't idle at all. A quick call to FarOutKucki, az2gnt 1G resident expert, and we found the fabled base idle set screw. Adjusted that sucker and she sits nice and smooth at about 750rpm. No CEL, no leaks, no problems imo.

Now I do have another question regarding that cam position sensor thing. It's the UFO-looking thing on the end of the intake cam. It is adjustable, I imagine to advance or retard the intake cam timing. I noticed timing marks down by the crank pulley, so I think a timinglight might help me fine tune this biatch to running sweet. Anyone have any ideas for me as to where to look? What to search on? I could use maybe a link to something relavent in the VFAQ or something if you know where I need to go.

Right now, the car just runs sweet. I have never heard a 4g63 run so velvety smooth. The tranny took some warming up before it would shift nicely since it'd been sitting at least a year, but he's a good little DSM and I think we're gonna take to calling him "Herman."

UberingramJun-07-04 11:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#10650, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 12
Jun-07-04 11:25 AM by Uberingram

VFAQ to the rescue:

How do I check the timing on a DSM?
How do I adjust the timing on a DSM?
You would already know this (hint, hint) if you had checked your shop manual. (You do have a shop manual, right?) Also, owners of late 1996 to 1999 DSMs need read no further - base timing cannot be adjusted on these engines - any attempt to do so will result in a 'check engine' light.

Adjustment of the base engine timing is done through adjusting the crankshaft angle sensor. There is a trick, and here it is : the ECU normally controls the engine timing, so unless you disable the ECU control, you are not seeing the base engine timing when you hook up your timing light. Instead, you are viewing the ECU-controlled timing, which may be substantially different. Adjusting the timing without first disabling the ECU control will have little effect, as the ECU will re-adjust the timing to the original value.

Fortunately, the factory provided an easy way to disable the ECU timing control - a small electrical connector in the engine bay. All you have to do is connect it to a ground to temporarily disable ECU timing. On 1Gs and 1995-1996 2Gs, the connector is located on the firewall, near the middle. (Owners of 1997+ cars please note: these engines lack the timing adjustment connector, and timing cannot be adjusted.) The basic procedure is discussed here, in a post by Christopher Paull.

After you ground this connector, hook up the timing light and check if the engine timing is +5 degrees BTDC . (For instructions on how to use a timing light, check Brad Bauer's Timing Light FAQ. which is a dead link now ) Timing adjustment is done by adjusting the crankshaft angle sensor. After the adjustment is complete, unhook the connector and re-check the timing, which (owing to the ECUs intervention) should now be around +8 degrees BTDC.

Please note that it is possible for the operator to set the timing further ahead than +5 deg BTDC. Doing so will not generally help power output, and may limit or disable the ECUs ability to safeguard your engine. See this chapter in the ECU Primer for details why.

Sounds like she's running well on her own good will.
Edit: I also checked with the Autozone down the street and they didn't have a problem with 'borrowing' a timing light.

HybriDSMJun-07-04 11:22 AM
2407 posts,
#10651, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
Jun-07-04 11:23 AM by HybriDSM

Originally posted by Hult250R Brian... Keep us posted, did ya fix it??
Maybe it's time to put Daisy on a shelf and go 1G AWD...

This is the only answer.

If you aren't a convert by August, Jeff and I will convert you, after rides in our cars. It's only a matter of time.

Also: Congrats on getting her up and running. Feels good to get it done yourself doesn't it? Congrats again.

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

Hult250RJun-07-04 02:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#10652, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by HybriDSM
This is the only answer. If you aren't a convert by August, Jeff and I will convert you, after rides in our cars. It's only a matter of time.

hehe sorry Hybrid, I had to use the icon... I agree!

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

HybriDSMJun-07-04 03:05 PM
2407 posts,
#10653, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 16

This is the only answer. If you aren't a convert by August, Jeff and I will convert you, after rides in our cars. It's only a matter of time.

It's ok. You speak more truth than you know.

Hult250RJun-07-04 04:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#10654, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 17

It's ok. You speak more truth than you know.

Its ok... You rule... Thanx for the sig quote

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

Hult250RJun-07-04 02:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#10655, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"

No CEL, no leaks, no problems imo. I have never heard a 4g63 run so velvety smooth.

Dood... a DSM with no CEL... something's wrong!

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

TeamDR1665Jun-08-04 04:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#10656, "RE: head is blowing oil EVERYWHERE - HELP ME!!!!! :P"
In response to Reply # 15

Dood... a DSM with no CEL... something's wrong!

I know. It makes me nervous...

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #10637 Previous topic | Next topic