Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7635
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rebuild Time... opinions please" Previous topic | Next topic
Hult250RJan-02-06 12:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7635, "Rebuild Time... opinions please"

Its time. Bottom end is getting worn out. Im tired of trying to tune a worn out motor with tons of Phantom Knock, It seems impossible to get a good tune with this thing. Its got quite a bit of blow-by, its smoking and my leak down test proved it too.

So... Ive been poking around looking at prices and such and Im wondering what parts I should go with.
Heres a List I got from SlowBoy. Because they have everything listed with prices Im using them just as a reference, Not necessarialy going to buy from them.

Pistons:
Ross $440
Wiseco $440
JE $550

Rods:
Eagle $350
Scat $320 (with ARP studs installed)

Im going to get all APR studs, Not sure what bearings to get, Clevite? Stock?

I guess my biggest question is the Pistons and Rods.
Is there a huge difference between the Eagle and Scat?
What about Pistons? Any opinions on the ones I have listed? Im a big fan of JE's in my Quad but not sure about how they hold up in a DSM. Or if theyre worth the extra $100

Im running a T04E 60 trim turbo just FYI

Opinions guys...

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please, RST95eclipse, Jan-02-06 04:30 PM, #1
RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please, Hult250R, Jan-02-06 05:33 PM, #2
      RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please, DSMxTSi, Jan-03-06 08:49 AM, #3
           RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-03-06 09:23 AM, #4
                RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please, RST95eclipse, Jan-03-06 10:10 AM, #5
                     RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please, Hult250R, Jan-03-06 11:16 AM, #6
                          RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please, DSMxTSi, Jan-03-06 11:35 AM, #7
                               RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please, Hult250R, Jan-03-06 12:06 PM, #8
                                    RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please, Dualgen2, Jan-09-06 07:46 AM, #9
                                         RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please, Hult250R, Jan-09-06 12:41 PM, #10
                                              RE: Rebuild Time... Parts are Piling up!!!, Hult250R, Mar-03-06 04:25 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Rebuild Time... Parts are Piling up!!!, 97eclipse97, Mar-03-06 06:35 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Rebuild Time... Parts are Piling up!!!, RST95eclipse, Mar-03-06 07:33 PM, #13

RST95eclipseJan-02-06 04:30 PM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7636, "RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please"
In response to Reply # 0

Why not get that stroker kit from that shop across the river? I seriously thought that I ripped them off, but the kicker is that the crankshaft is forged.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Hult250RJan-02-06 05:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#7637, "RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by RST95eclipse
Why not get that stroker kit from that shop across the river? I seriously thought that I ripped them off, but the kicker is that the crankshaft is forged.

I thought about it but I dont want to spend that much.
What do you mean you thought you ripped them off?

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

DSMxTSiJan-03-06 08:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
217 posts,
#7638, "RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please"
In response to Reply # 2

I haven't heard much about the Scat rods, so I'd stay away from the them. Eagle rods are a good choice for you. I run a TD06 20G and went with Wiseco pistons but kept the stock big rods, all ARP hardware. I didn't want JE pistons simply because of the piston slap associated with them. The piston-to-wall clearance needs to be greater for the JEs versus other forged pistons because they expand more than the others after warmed up, so at initial start-up until they warm up they "slap" the cylinder walls. Ross are excellent pistons and a lot of DSMers use them. They must have come down in price, I remember them being closer to $600.

TeamJeff_99gsJan-03-06 09:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#7639, "RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please"
In response to Reply # 3

Cody is right. Stay away from JE pistons in the 4G63. They cause premature wear due to excessive slap on warmup. I also have not heard much about Scat rods. Stick with Eagle for sure there.

Ross or Wiseco are your best bet for pistons, and get the Clevite bearings as well.

RST95eclipseJan-03-06 10:10 AM
403 posts,
#7640, "RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please"
In response to Reply # 4

I say that I feel I ripped them off, because if you look at pricing for everything you come out definately with what you paid for. If you choose not to stroke it, I'd go with this setup:

Clevite 77 main and rod bearings
Eagle rods (all Eagles come with ARP)
Ross or Wiseco pistons
All ARP studs

Personally, I'd stroke it. Faster spool-up and more power with less boost. The kit comes with everything plus the crank except for the ARP head and main studs.

Hult250RJan-03-06 11:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#7641, "RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please"
In response to Reply # 5

Looks like Ill be going with the Eagle/Wiseco combo.
Now to start the list of everything else Ill need to buy, Gaskets, Bearings, ARP's... Yay...

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

DSMxTSiJan-03-06 11:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
217 posts,
#7642, "RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please"
In response to Reply # 6

Are you doing it yourself? Minus the machine work, of course. I rebuilt my 4G last year and really enjoyed getting into it, more than just bolt-ons.

Hult250RJan-03-06 12:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#7643, "RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by DSMxTSi
Are you doing it yourself? Minus the machine work, of course. I rebuilt my 4G last year and really enjoyed getting into it, more than just bolt-ons.

Yeah, I cant wait
Ive rebuilt my quad motor a few times and countless motorcycles and quads for friends, this'll be the first car motor ive ever done.

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

Dualgen2Jan-09-06 07:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3726 posts,
#7644, "RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please"
In response to Reply # 8

Sounds exciting. Keep us updated.
-Dave

2009 Corolla S - waiting until 2012 for my next toy!
*SOLD* 1992 3000GT VR4 - pearl white and 45,6xx miles!
*SOLD* 2007 Subaru Legacy GT sedan
*SOLD* 95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - BPU
*SOLD* 97 Eclipse GS Star Stage 2

Hult250RJan-09-06 12:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#7645, "RE: Rebuild Time... opinions please"
In response to Reply # 9

Itll prolly be tax return time when I start getting into it, Im just trying to get an idea of what ive gotta get
so far my list:
Ross pistons (I changed my mind over the wisecos)
Eagle Rods
APR hardware
Clevite bearings

Not sure about the head, depends how the money situation is but:
SS valves
bronze giudes
new valve seals
Crower springs and retainers

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

Hult250RMar-03-06 04:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#7646, "RE: Rebuild Time... Parts are Piling up!!!"
In response to Reply # 10
Mar-03-06 04:26 PM by Hult250R

Ok guys, heres the update...
Parts are starting to pile up:

Ross Pistons, Eagle Rods, SS Valves
Not shown are bronze guides, seals, and J.A.M. Valve springs.

I still havent got bearings and a few other misc. things also.
Also on the list is a new OEM front cover/oil pump. Im not going to trust a brand new motor to a used pump.

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

97eclipse97Mar-03-06 06:35 PM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#7647, "RE: Rebuild Time... Parts are Piling up!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Hult250R Im not going to trust a brand new motor to a used pump.

Good man! Looks good. Now get that motor together!

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

RST95eclipseMar-03-06 07:33 PM
403 posts,
#7648, "RE: Rebuild Time... Parts are Piling up!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Hult250R
I still havent got bearings and a few other misc. things also. Also on the list is a new OEM front cover/oil pump. Im not going to trust a brand new motor to a used pump.

Have fun paying $300+ for that pump. Just getting new gears for the pump since it's mechanically driven? This is what I did, since the housing looked perfectly fine. Brings the cost down. Get those bearings and send that block off to get machined.

I did some research on Scat. Seems like they're huge for Honda's. I'd definately stay with Eagle, tried and proven. Good choice on the Ross switch. I believe that they R & D everything that happens in the combustion chamber. Good luck with the project. Keep posting up progress.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7635 Previous topic | Next topic